FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adobe Acrobat Reader 8

Tony The Tiger
In what seems to be becoming a quarterly event I am reformatting my hard drive today. I stumbled upon Adobe Acrobat Reader 8. I have downloaded and installed the program. When I open it the task manager believes the program is running. However, it seems to be hung up and unable to actually open anything. Does anyone know what is going on?
crdowner
I am probably wrong about this but it could just be the license agreement screen. Move or minimize the Acrobat Reader window to see if there is a license agreement window in the background. If there is accept the agreement and everything should be OK.
Animal
Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but when I "updated" to Adobe Reader 8, I found it extremely resource intensive and a bit unstable - frequent crashes when I opened pdf files with Firefox. I'd personally recommend removing Adobe Reader and using Foxit PDF Reader instead. It's an extremely light-weight pdf reader that I've had no problems with so far. I doubt it will handle a lot of the new Multimedia content that Adobe Reader 8 can, but personally I think it's a better option.
JamesBond
even i use Foxit PDF reader as its lightweight and very fast. it even has a standalone version (not needed to install- just the .exe file). i found it very good and i recommend it to all..
Tony The Tiger
Tony The Tiger wrote:
In what seems to be becoming a quarterly event I am reformatting my hard drive today. I stumbled upon Adobe Acrobat Reader 8. I have downloaded and installed the program. When I open it the task manager believes the program is running. However, it seems to be hung up and unable to actually open anything. Does anyone know what is going on?

I believe Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 may be more sensitive to Windows Service Packs because after I got fully reformatted with all my service pack updates and additional online updates it is now working fine. Thanks for the responses nontheless.
Tony The Tiger
JamesBond wrote:
even i use Foxit PDF reader as its lightweight and very fast. it even has a standalone version (not needed to install- just the .exe file). i found it very good and i recommend it to all..

What do you mean when you say it is lighteight?
Animal
Tony The Tiger wrote:
What do you mean when you say it is lighteight?

I'm pretty sure that was lightweight Wink
Sergiy
I haven't tested Acrobat 8 yet but I will test tomorow and then I see how is working. Better or Badest then Acrobat 7
cheeta
i am using version 8...

well by default u have to press Space Bar to get a scrolling HAND symbol, which was a dyfault feature for 7... so i didnt like this feature of Version 8
tony
yeah. i am increasingly unhappy w/ adobe acrobat reader. foxit is so much more lightweight, stable, and easy-to-use.
left
It looks beautiful. I like Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 more than Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 or before versions. My teacher is use .pdf format to share file to our class teacher.
lukeropro
Foxit looks awesome! I may replace adobe reader with it sometime
Tony The Tiger
Does anyone know who makes Foxit? The name sounds like it is related to Firefox and thus a Mozilla software product. Is this the case?
zjosie729
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does anyone know who makes Foxit? The name sounds like it is related to Firefox and thus a Mozilla software product. Is this the case?

It's not made by mozilla, it's by Foxit Software. I use it and it is much much faster.

This might be useful when you want to open all PDF documents in foxit instead of with the acrobat reader plugin in firefox: Go to tools > options. Under the content tab, click manage on the bottom, find PDF, and change to Foxit Reader.
driftingfe3s
I use Foxit as well. For some reason my priter drivers don't like Adobe Acrobat reader and alot of the images wont print when I print out my lecutres. I swtiched to Foxit and it works like a charm.

Acrobat is indeed slow and uses to many resources.