FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Girl, Interrupted -- Susanna Kaysen

melissareich
If you have read this book (or seen the movie which is almost like the book, with some differences), what do you think about it?

It's my favorite! I really love all the quotes, but I haven't finished reading the book yet, I'm just about half way through it. I've seen the movie about 3 times though now.

So what do you think about the book? ...hopefully somebody here knows what I'm talking about Wink
palavra
i saw the movie -only one time- Wink
it is very good.
angelussum
I saw the movie. Quite good. Didn't realize there was a book for it.
rampantinsanity
Like the other posters, I had no idea that it was a book first. I loved girl interrupted, thought that it was a really good movie. How different is the book vs. the movie? Should I invest the time in reading the book?

Also, are there any other books by the same author or maybe a related series? Girl, Interrupted spoke to me so much because I see a lot of similarities between myself and the characters.

What drew you to the book?
Coclus
I don't really like it...
Crazy_Canuck
I've also seen and very much enjoyed "girl, interrupted" as a movie (have not read the book).

If you enjoyed the book, you might want to pick up a copy of "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Joanne Greenberg. Very similar theme, beautifully written as I recall. Left quite an impression on me, although it's been many years since I've read it.

Another great and beautifully told story of the descent into schizophrenia and out again is "The Eden Express" by Kurt Vonnegut's son, Mark Vonnegut. A little bit hard to find, but well worth it.
melissareich
whoa! lots of replies since i first posted this!

most of you said you didn't realize there was a book for it-- well neither did i! Laughing until i searched google for some quotes on the movie, i noticed a lot of pages came up about her actual book. so i went to barnes and noble and bought it! i loved the movie and i only read things that seem to interest me, so i wanted to read it in my spare time. i haven't read all of it yet because i don't have the time right at this moment, but so far the only different things about it are some of the way she describes things, different words, more cussing etc. but again since i haven't read it all, there might be some more changes in later chapters.

thanks for telling me about those 2 other books! maybe i'll check them out some time. i only like these types of books, usually don't look for them at book stores or the library though, so thanks again for mentioning them! and thanks to everyone who replied.
Smile i thought there for awhile nobody knew what i was talking about.
palavra
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I've also seen and very much enjoyed "girl, interrupted" as a movie (have not read the book).

If you enjoyed the book, you might want to pick up a copy of "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Joanne Greenberg. Very similar theme, beautifully written as I recall. Left quite an impression on me, although it's been many years since I've read it.

"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden"

i read it very very long time ago (maybe 15 years ago.)
but i remember it was nice.
melissareich
15 years ago? Shocked
that book must be old.
whoa!

but i guess it's good since both of you liked it. :]
Crazy_Canuck
WOW! I just looked this up, and I Never Promised You A Rose Garden was first published in hard cover in 1964!

Why don't you find yourself a copy in a used book store or library, and let us know if it stands the test of time! I think I read it as a teenager -- NOT in 1964 -- but, well, at least 15 years ago if not longer!
melissareich
wow, sorry to reply so late!

but... 1964? whoa Shocked

I'll try to find it maybe this weekend and see if I happen to like it. Smile