FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Texas Boy Hangs Self; Saw Saddam on TV...

justinelovesyou
So sad... I wonder who will get the blame for this one.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/05/D8MF6V680.html

Quote:
HOUSTON (AP) -- A 10-year-old boy was apparently mimicking Saddam Hussein's execution when he hanged himself from a bunk bed, police and family members said.

Sergio Pelico was found dead Sunday in his apartment bedroom after watching a news report on the execution of the former Iraqi leader, said Webster Police Lt. Tom Claunch.

"Our gut reaction is that he was experimenting," Claunch said after officials spoke with family members. An autopsy of the fifth-grader's body was pending.

Julio Gustavo, Sergio's uncle, described the boy as happy and curious. He said Sergio had watched TV news with another uncle on Saturday and asked the uncle about Saddam's death.

"His uncle told him it was because Saddam was real bad," Gustavo said. "He (Sergio) said, 'OK.' And that was it."

"I don't think he thought it was real," Gustavo said. "They showed them putting the noose around his neck and everything. Why show that on TV?"
maclui
Blame? it was an accident, children often imitate what is on TV I remember a school mate in elementary school who broke both legs for jumping from the roof of his house just because he was wearing a batman suite.
bond4154
Seems to remind me of the time some boy killed a playmate after mimicking a move from WWF. =P
ashok
But the hanging wasn't shown on tv... They showed only up to the part where saddam declines the black mask and moves to the hanging place... The hanging wasn't shown Rolling Eyes
sixxphotography
I think he was old enough to understand what happened after the noose was placed on his head. Maybe he was experimenting, and sometimes experiments result in injury or death.
Soulfire
Tragic, and it's far more difficult to say that it was merely an imitation, but we so quickly want something to blame, so it makes sense I suppose.
Bondings
ashok wrote:
But the hanging wasn't shown on tv... They showed only up to the part where saddam declines the black mask and moves to the hanging place... The hanging wasn't shown Rolling Eyes

That's actually might have been the problem. He didn't see what the hanging caused, it is death.

First of all, I do not think executions and other heavy violence should be shown on mainstream (early) television. It's weird that cursing and sexuality is usually banned, but violence isn't. Also in my opinion an execution like that is one of the most barbaric things in our current times, together with terrorisms.

And I agree with Soulfire, these kind of things happen and this isn't really someones fault. People like to point to a guilty person, but in a lot of cases it's very complex and there is nobody guilty at all.
chrismen
Bondings wrote:
ashok wrote:

That's actually might have been the problem. He didn't see what the hanging caused, it is death.

First of all, I do not think executions and other heavy violence should be shown on mainstream (early) television.

I didn't even think of it like that. This is in deed very sad though. I hate hearing of stories like this.
suntzu3500
Bondings wrote:
ashok wrote:

First of all, I do not think executions and other heavy violence should be shown on mainstream (early) television. It's weird that cursing and sexuality is usually banned, but violence isn't. Also in my opinion an execution like that is one of the most barbaric things in our current times, together with terrorisms.

And I agree with Soulfire, these kind of things happen and this isn't really someones fault. People like to point to a guilty person, but in a lot of cases it's very complex and there is nobody guilty at all.

While I disgree with Bonding's stance on excecution being barbaric, I agree that it should not be shown on television. People do not need to see someone hanged - that would disgust me. It's abhorrant.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

I'll tell you who the guilty one is in this situation: the 10 year old. The only thing he was guilty of is making a stupid mistake. That's not against the law of the country (except when the results of such a mistake violate the law), but it is against the natural law of the world. The penalties for stupid mistakes vary a lot; anything from no punishment at all to death, as we see in this case. (Who ever said life would be fair?)

Just the day before yesterday, I made the stupid mistake of grabbing a hot pan: in this I was the only guilty party, and I paid for my crime with a burned hand. Just another example.
catscratches
Tragic. Terrible. Dunno what more to say. But should we forbid all TV for this? Have no other TV-programs caused injuries or death? Indeed they have. So forbid it? I wouldn't care. I don't watch TV. But all people who do? They'd propably go mad...
afriot
I guess this speaks volumes for the debate against video games and childern. There might be a corolation there. I personally think these childern are looking for attention and some do so a little more drastic than others.
drag0n
I think that every child comitting a suicide/dieing in an accident will be somewhat connected to the death of saddam hussein. It's not like 3 children die per year in the world. Remeber that not all of those kids that died were even from the same country. Some weren't even hagned. Some hanged themselves, and were not hanged by other children. How does that connect with Saddam?

They died (like saddam), this month (like saddam). There was most surely a identical death a day before. Did someone write about that and turn that story into a 'prophecy story'? I believe not. The people around those children should not make fake excuses for their deaths. That is my true oppinion.