FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Final Fantasy series

justinelovesyou
I just loooooooove the Final Fantasy series. I think they are the best RPG's out there! I've played them all at least two times (if not a lot more) and I think I won't get tired of playing even when I'm old (yeah, I'm a geek like that lol).

Which one is your favorite?

I have to say mine's FF6 (or FF3 on the SNES, same thing). It may be old, but it has the best storyline and character development I have seen in a game. Plus, the graphs were awesome for the SNES (back in the days...) I think I've played it at least 10 times, it's not even funny.
QrafTee
justinelovesyou wrote:
I just loooooooove the Final Fantasy series. I think they are the best RPG's out there! I've played them all at least two times (if not a lot more) and I think I won't get tired of playing even when I'm old (yeah, I'm a geek like that lol).

I have to say mine's FF6 (or FF3 on the SNES, same thing). It may be old, but it has the best storyline and character development I have seen in a game. Plus, the graphs were awesome for the SNES (back in the days...) I think I've played it at least 10 times, it's not even funny.

Final Fantasy VII without a shadow of a doubt. If a single game can make me buy a console, that's a powerful game and Final Fantasy VII did just that. I bought a Sony PlayStation because of it, but no other game had that kind of influence ever since... maybe with the exception of the Super Smash Bros. series.
account
FFVII all the way. I like Advent Children even though its a movie, and Dirge of Cerberus too, but FFVII is the best to me.
Handermier
justinelovesyou wrote:

I have to so agree with this. This game is probable the only reason I have my SNES still.

A close second is FF VIII the one with Squall. I really enjoyed the GF aspect and the upgrades. Not to mention the storyline.

-Handermier
linkman2004
FFVI kills the rest, hands down. Although it was fun to watch my brother blow through X. That game was awesome to watch. Razz
ThornsOfSorrow
I just started playing Final Fantasy XII two days ago, and it's quickly replacing VII as my favorite in the series. I love the absence of random battles; it's so nice to be able to see all the enemies so as to choose whether to fight or just try to avoid them. The graphics are gorgeous (as always), the story is incredibly deep (possibly the most involved in the series so far), and the addition of "licenses" is brilliant! Also, it's great to be able to move around during battles. Any fan of the series who hasn't bought this game yet, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible.
tyrant
FF7 was the first of the series that i played and quite frankly i agree that it's the best. I hope they do a remake of ff7 for ps-3 with improved graphics and audio.
poland21489
Of course, Final Fantasy VII is the best. However, VIII was also very good. The trouble with X was the lack of freedom, which is what I really loved about the older ones. I actually never beat the first one, but I collected each of the crystals...
hofodomo01
I dunno, I decided to go old school with the FFV for GBA. Archaic, but pretty fun....
zanzou
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
I just started playing Final Fantasy XII two days ago, and it's quickly replacing VII as my favorite in the series. I love the absence of random battles; it's so nice to be able to see all the enemies so as to choose whether to fight or just try to avoid them. The graphics are gorgeous (as always), the story is incredibly deep (possibly the most involved in the series so far), and the addition of "licenses" is brilliant! Also, it's great to be able to move around during battles. Any fan of the series who hasn't bought this game yet, I suggest that you do so as soon as possible.

I agree. :) While I haven't formed anywhere near as strong character attachments yet, the game overall is earning a lot of love from me.

It's one of only .... 6? games to get rated 40/40 by some magazine (which I only trust because one of the other games on the list is Vagrant Story).
rampantinsanity
Final Fantasy - Ode to an epic

Like so many other gamers, I still hold that Final Fantasy VII is the best by far. While the character graphics were basic, the mesh between the pixelated characters and the artful background make it one of the most memorable games in my collection. The characters themselves were the most memorable in the entire final fantasy series, from the most inconsequential character of Aeris's adopted mother to Cloud and Tifa themselves.

Final Fantasy VIII, the so called "shame of the series" is in my opinion, not worth all of the bad press that it has received. While the basic game play itself may have been lacking and the battle system - less than final fantasy standards, it made up for it by giving us one of the more memorable characters in the series, Squall. 'Nuff said.

-Shouren from Rampant Insanity
flameboy1974
My favorite by far and I think it always will be is Tactics. The graphics are not great but the game play and the storyline are great. I think this may just be my favorite game of all time
xyberz
I love the goldie but oldie FF1. It's so nostalgic and brings so many memories back to me of being a child. The story line was fantastic, the gameplay was awesome, and everything about it was great, at least for it's time.

Such a shame that the story line got blurred a lot along the way and completely changed from it's roots, which I feel should be returned to for all the hardcore original FF enthusiasts.
Revvion
My favorit is FFVII, really liked the story, my second choice would be FFVIII
b4r4t
FFVII was my first PSX game ... and i love it Smile
Story is gr8 , characters , locations , summons , materia commbining, all those secrets ... for me - KING!

Second one... i don't know... I enjoyed with FFX ... nice story, nice graphic, GRID - love this new system... and i think that will be my 2nd one... but the VI part was fun too ... maybe a draw ? Smile

Third ... VIII or IX ... i don't know... VIII for fights, GF's and new battle system or IX - locations... like in middleage ... i love such design ... old buildings... ViVi and his "walking system" (step, step... floor Very Happy )

Other parts - i saw them only on SNES emulator ... but I don't have time to finish them Smile

PS. Chrono Triger is nice too Smile
eLto
Man what a broad question!

Number 7 sure is the best game. No doubts for me. The only problem is, that's the first FF I played, so I've played like 13 FF games after I've played 7, leaving me a tad... well, broken.

Now I can't play anything else than FF10, since I've been so used to the battle system, all the other games have weird and too fast battles for me now. I'm looking forward to playing ff12 though, I've been waiting for some years to play it, although I must say it doesn't look very promising..
blk3
All FF games have their own share of strenght and weaknesses like FF7 nice character designs but the original char designs does seem to lose a lot of their details when ported to SD (Super Deformed) 3D graphics FF8 too much of a love story, FF9 goes back to its roots (mediavalistic theme as oppose to FF7 and FF8 hi tech setup.) FF6 a little too dated by todays graphics standards. These are the only FF titles Ive played so far. Now how bout a remake of all the series using Next Generation graphics, that would be cool.
Ducksteina
My favourite Final Fantasy game is definitely FFVII. I liked IIX and IX too, but VII just was the most thrilling and fascinating RPG I ever played. Have to play it again one day I think...
Jeff_vella_leone
well i prefair FF8 of them all for me its the best FF
FF7 is good too
but for story FF8 beats the all
I just saw the movie Advent childen is so cool though its not in english had to read the subtitles Sad
but 'Final Fantasy The Spirits Within' was a hit as a movie for me it really rocked
Digital Thoth
I'd have to say that my favorite FF game is FFVIII - Squall was all over it, and I just loved him for it. FFII was pretty good, but Cloud was just the prototype for Squall. And the switching time ... thing. That was awesome, too.

FFX gets a honorable mention because of the game. It was the best out of the ones I've played, followed by Card from VIII. I think I play both of them for HOURS, instead of playing the actual game. I know I can't be the only one who did that.
_Jak_
ok FFX, FFVII and FFVIII ftw

cant wait for XII to come out in aus THIS MONTH im getting it so bad
thehunterstan
I must say the first Final Fantasy game I played I believe it may have been VII or VIII. But of the entire series. VII has to have had to best storyline and just best game out there. I mean that game touched me. The only game I would even buy a system just for. XII is looking good. Haven't played much except the demo yet and VIII was really good as well. X was so-so. Had some nice FMV sequences tho.
zanzou
flameboy1974 wrote:
My favorite by far and I think it always will be is Tactics. The graphics are not great but the game play and the storyline are great. I think this may just be my favorite game of all time

I'm sure you'd love XII, then! It's in the same universe, and even has some of the same characters. :D
vaoger
well!! i love any of the version....
but bes of aare the final fantasy 7... with the movie.. advent child!!
final fantasy 10 is good but the character.. Tidus.. not my cup of tea!!
cloud are much better!!!
but the final fantasy 10 and 12 story line are great!
game system in final fantasy 10 battle system are my type of game!!
final fantasy 10 mini game are great too.. water ball..
any ways!! all G8!!
Ghengis
I'm so glad to see so many picking FF8 -- it probably got the worst press of any game in the series, but I think it was near the top of the heap. The idea of "stealing" your magic was revolutionary, and I felt like it added a lot of depth. I also thought the card game was much cooler than any of the minigames they had had previously.

That said, 6 and 7 probably tie for the top of the list -- both were "best game ever"-worthy when they came out. 6 was so cool because you had loads of deep, interesting characters that you could swap in at any time. The battle system was deep but consistent, and each character had unique uses. It was satisfying, the way to writing good code in a clear, concise programming language is satisfying: to do well, you have to combine your few simple elements (each character's strength) in a creative way. 7 was great because it was probably the most epic game ever released (at the time). You could spend hundreds of hours to completely "master" the game: both "Weapons", the gold chocobo, all the materia... man, both were great.

I'm going to have to play back through 7 sometime soon...
Vinas
Ugh. It's not possible to pick ONE, not at all. I'll list my top five instead.

#1: Final Fantasy IX
Really enjoyed the story of this and the ever lovable, ever loyal Steiner. I wanted this game so bad when it came out for the Playstation that I even tried to get a copied version. Eventually bought an original though. Razz

#2: Final Fantasy VIII
Another one with a great storyline but not so great on character development. The game however had immense replay value for me. The way you have to upgrade your weapons was fun too, and actually got you to train your characters in a sense. And who doesn't love Triple Triad?

#3: Final Fantasy X
The first of the series to hit the Playstation 2, and those graphics instantly made me fall in love with the game. The introduction of the Sphere Grid and the drop of the World Map was a good move on Square's part as change is needed sometimes. It also had some of the best characters in the series.

#4: Final Fantasy VI/III
I've had this game for the longest time and I still haven't completed it. The games graphics are instant win. I mean, who doesn't love pixels? Razz
As some people have said above, it had one of the best character developments and (in my eyes) some of the toughest battles in the entire series.

#5: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Seeing as how they never released regular Tactics here for the Playstation, I only got to play the GBA version. Ever since I played Shining Force, I've had a craving for tactical RPG's and Tactics Advance satisfied my craving quite well. I must've played this game over atleast three times and I'm yet to get everything.

Phew, I think I'm done. I preordered Final Fantasy XII on monday so let's see if that overtakes any of the games in my top five. Judging from what people have said about it, I can see it doing just that.
drapkin
FF9 Owns all.
Azmo
played and cleared every singel Final Fantasy game there is avaliable on console.

Did even clear Final Fantasy IV on playstaion, hard as hell since it's japanees only, the english version are for gamecube.. DHO!

Oh, I'm not done with Final Fantasy XII yet, work work you know Very Happy

But anyways, just looking at the storyline and how they pulled it all together (not graphic) Final Fantasy VII is my absolute favorite, next one in line is VI followed by IX.. Sadly, my forth IX disc is broken.. so I cant see the finaly movie anymore *cry*... gief a new one!

and NO, you cant make Aeris survive in VII, even if some guides tells you that.
heval
I've played almost everyone of the Final Fantasy series except the new one Final Fantasy 11 I think...

Well my favorite Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy 7 although it has bad graphics it is a very good game I've cleared it for like 3 times and I've got golden chocobo, all magics, all summons, all ultimate weapons and Final Fantasy 10 is not bad either because of the aerons, magics, graphics.
Azmo
The new one, that i supose u are talking about, is alrdy out, and it's number 12.. there is no number 11.. there is number 10, and 10 part 2, but some people call it number 11, and I guess that's right, it is the eleventh game that got released so.. anyways.. bad graphic in FF7 ? what are u comparing to? Other games that came out that year? I cant agree with you, I think that FF7 got great graphic, fits for the game, to the music, for the feeling, everything.. Very Happy

But hey, that's just me Very Happy
Ghengis
FF XI is an MMO for PC, PS2, 360 (and original XB maybe?). I was never interested because MMOs largely suck ass [when you're a hermit and don't have anybody to play with].
Vinas
FFXI was never released for the PS2 (at least in Europe anyway) and I can understand why. PS2 Online players don't pay a (monthly) subscription unlike Xbox or PC (both Microsoft money ****** Very Happy) so having a subscription based game on a free-online system would defeat the purpose.

Though I'm sure someone is gonna come along and mention Everquest now.. XD
I have FFXI myself, but I don't play it. Mainly because of the subscription. MAINLY.

Azmo wrote:
Did even clear Final Fantasy IV on playstaion, hard as hell since it's japanees only, the english version are for gamecube.. DHO!

Final Fantasy IV has been released for the Playstation for quite some time now AND it's in English. Infact, I, II, IV and V have all been released for it. They were released as a "double pack". Final Fantasy I and II were put together (two seperate discs) and sold as Final Fantasy Origins. IV and V were sold as Final Fantasy Anthologies.

Sadly, Anthologies has eluded me for the longest time..
Ghengis
Yeah, FF XI came out for PS2 at least in America (and I think Japan), and is AFAIK pretty much the only reason to get a PS2 hard drive (other than maybe linux, or I guess piracy). It probably didn't help sales that the redesigned PS2 -- the slim one -- doesn't support the hard drive, and thus you can't play FF XI on it.

And I'm pretty sure it does carry a monthly subscription as well, like its counterparts on other platforms. I'm curious why you would say "Microsoft money ****" (I take it you meant "shit" or something; this board doesn't filter, you know), since XB 360 provides a free version of Live, and MS only charges fees for the very few PC games they make which are MMO-types... Asheron's Call 1/2 was MS, I think, but otherwise I can't think of MS PC games that charge a fee...
Disaster-Pieces
"I just loooooooove the Final Fantasy series. I think they are the best RPG's out there! I've played them all at least two times (if not a lot more) and I think I won't get tired of playing even when I'm old (yeah, I'm a geek like that lol).

I have to say mine's FF6 (or FF3 on the SNES, same thing). It may be old, but it has the best storyline and character development I have seen in a game. Plus, the graphs were awesome for the SNES (back in the days...) I think I've played it at least 10 times, it's not even funny."

FF7 IS THE BEST OUT OF THEM ALL!!!
sky217
I still play FFXI all the time. We have it on PC and PS2 right now. MMORPG games don't seem appealing to a lot of people if you've never played them. Once you do, though, it's really easy to get addicted. I recommend staying away from it for that reason. Smile
Disaster-Pieces
sky217 wrote:
I still play FFXI all the time. We have it on PC and PS2 right now. MMORPG games don't seem appealing to a lot of people if you've never played them. Once you do, though, it's really easy to get addicted. I recommend staying away from it for that reason. Smile

Thats rated the worst MMORPG... I played it 2 years i kept making new chars like hell my highest was 67 summoner. I found that game boring from start to finish all that kept me on there was my friends. level 1-10 solo was soo borring!!!! when you get to PT in Vulkurm Dunes its a bit more fun but losses Novelty real quick then goes back to being boring also looking for a party was a real pain! i hated looking for it sometimes it toke hours, sometimes minutes its all luck.

I preffered to spend my time on Star Wars Galaxies or the side game for FFXI (Tetra Master). I was No.1 for a short period of time then i left for a while and bang i went back down. sucks.
roninmedia
My favorite is final fantasy tactics. It brought a complete element to final fantasy with a truly customizable party and the tactical element. It had so much to do so it offers tons of replayability. FFTA is a sham because it does not have the maturity of plot of FFT.

And I really can't wait when they remake the game for PSP. For all you who missed out on the classic, go get that for PSP. Laughing Very Happy
vaoger
i love all of it series... exp the final fantasy 11.. the mmo..
but other.. love it too muh uptil i have no money to buy other game ( last time)
haha..
oh i love it movie too.. the advent child
but people elling me there is a new one( old already) came out??
any one whats the title for it??