FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What should I do about my neighbor's dog?

sky217
I just moved into a new house. I have a black lab that learns fast and already knows his boundaries. The neighbors also have a couple of dogs and they apparently think my yard is their territory. They aren't mean and don't bark much, but they like to do their "job" on my lawn. I'm debating about what I should do about it.

Ultimately, I want a fence for my own dog anyway, but I'm not planning to put that up until summer time. I'm sure I should just talk to my new neighbors, but what do I say. "Hi, I'm your new neighbor, please don't let your dog poop on my lawn anymore."? I don't want to damage my relationship before I even have a chance to meet them especially since I don't want trouble as a dog owner myself.
Kelvin
You could get some sulfur and sprinkle it on your lawn to deter the neighbour's dog from choosing your lawn. Dogs usually find the smell offensive and will stay clear from your lawn. This however could deter your own dog from doing its job within your lawn too. You could also try going to the pet store to enquire for other substances that can deter unwanted company on your lawn.
dac_nip
kill it. hehe.. just a joke dude. but did it ever occur to you in your darkest self to kill sometimes such annoying creatures? Very Happy
sky217
dac_nip wrote:
kill it. hehe.. just a joke dude. but did it ever occur to you in your darkest self to kill sometimes such annoying creatures? Very Happy

No, LOL, I didn't think of that at any level of consciousness that I'm aware of, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.
xorcist
You should put something on your lawn that will keep them away for some odd reason they like your odor or your lawn or something. Or just make friends with your neighbor first and get to know them and mabye when they see there dog over there doing what he does best they would try to stop it or not let it go there.
gh0stface
Well, I believe just talking to your neighbor about your problem with their dogs is the best option. Especially if you haven't do so. Just make sure you do it politely and courteously. Treat them with respect as if your roles were reversed.
Rico
Very Happy Smile and the world smiles with you. -The original contents of this post was deleted due to a change of policy.- Very Happy
Captain Fertile
Talk to them about it.

If you really don't feel able to just yet then try the other suggestions above (except maybe the one about killing the dog and the sourrier parcel). While you are trying these methods make an effort to get to know you neighbours.

At best you will make friends and be able to talk to them, at worst you will be no worse offf than you are now.

The important thing to remember is never to just sit and complain to yourself constantly this achieves nothing productive and will only make things worse.

When you do approach the subject with your neighbours keep the conversation light (but get your point across clearly) and make it clear you are not getting at them.

If you ensure your dog doesn't mess their lawn (you do don't you), then they should do the same but ALWAYS keep it friendly otherwise nothing will be resolved.

Hope this helps.
Very Happy
spinnersandweavers
I've got a dog problem too. My neighbours have a dog that they keep on a very short length of chain 24-7. The dog is sometimes in the back yard with a poorly built dog house but is now in the front most of the time because it has destroyed their back lawn. The dog is so lonely that it barks at anyone it sees. Not only is the barking really sad, but its also REALLY annoying. I just don't know what to do. I'm considering finding it a new home and making it dissapear.
Motoracer380
if the only thing bothering you is them doing there stuff on the lawn thaitley tell them that "It's ok that they roam but i dont want them to soil on my lawn just go out back a ways so it's out of where i step.
woundedhealer
If you're planning on putting up a fence why not do it now instead of waiting until the summer? I've always had dogs and a secure fence is always my first priority.

Quote:
I've got a dog problem too. My neighbours have a dog that they keep on a very short length of chain 24-7. The dog is sometimes in the back yard with a poorly built dog house but is now in the front most of the time because it has destroyed their back lawn. The dog is so lonely that it barks at anyone it sees. Not only is the barking really sad, but its also REALLY annoying. I just don't know what to do. I'm considering finding it a new home and making it dissapear.

People like this shouldn't have dogs. Can you complain to your local authority about the barking. Is there anyone you can report the treatment of the dog to? I feel so sorry for dogs who are treated in this way.
cabezonxdg
Well, you have a hard situation. I guess the best you can do is to talk with the dog´s owner and explaing what the dogs are doing. If he has any kind of sense he will find a solution.
Hoggie
Other peoples dogs fouling in your garden is not acceptable in anyones language and you should take steps to stop it asap. You must speak to your neighbour about this and do it sooner rather than later, if you allow the situation to drag on it will annoy you to the point that you wont care about being polite and will end up falling out with them anyway.

The best method may well be to invite them round for a coffee and after you have chatted for a while bring up the subject of your dog and then what their dogs are doing. Make sure you are comfortable with them in your house first as some people give off bad vibes from the word go. If they are sensible then they will see that the actions of their pets are simple not acceptable and will take action. It maybe that they are simply unaware of what the dogs are doing and where.
There are a number of products on the market which will put off dogs coming into your garden but they will also affect your own dog so they are better to be avoided.
A fence is the best solution and if the neighbour recognises the problem he may well offer to pay for a percentage of the cost.

As a little side note to this issue... I once lived next to a couple who had 5 cats and as most people know cats do not poo in their own garden so everytime I worked on my garden I would find cat poo.... 1000x worse than dogs I have to say... sorry to all cat owners but it's true.
I would collect the mess and simply deposit it back in his garden... I think he thought he had the only cats in the world that would cr*p in their own garden.
woundedhealer
Hoggie wrote:

As a little side note to this issue... I once lived next to a couple who had 5 cats and as most people know cats do not poo in their own garden so everytime I worked on my garden I would find cat poo.... 1000x worse than dogs I have to say... sorry to all cat owners but it's true.
I would collect the mess and simply deposit it back in his garden... I think he thought he had the only cats in the world that would cr*p in their own garden.

I have this problem right now. My present dog is a Pommeranian and the cats take no notice of her. Most of them are bigger than her anyway. When I had my last dogs, cats wouldn't dare come in, but three days after the last one died, the cats started coming back. My husband made me some raised garden beds, and I noticed my lovely butterfly lavender bush was ailing. i just couldn't work out what was wrong with it, until I looked around the base of it. It was being used as a cats toilet. There was so much cat poo in the soil it was unbelievable. The lavender bush was terminal. Now the cats do it on the path and my husband is constantly cleaning it up. You expect to clean up after your own pet, but not all the neighbours. The neighbours would soon kick up a fuss if my dog pooed on their path, but it's considered exceptable for a cat to go where ever they want.
Hoggie
Place slices of citrus fruit around your flower beds that has worked for me in the past.
Though at the moment any cat pooing in my garden is either, very brave, very stupid or both as I have a Belgian Malinois and he loves cats...LOL
illegalhost
hmm, get a revolver?? hehe.. just kidding!! i guess u need to identify which area your neighbour dogs often do their "thing"... then get some advice from your neighbourhood pet shop on some products that distract them away from these particular areas. but that way u end up paying some cash yourself to solve the problem. if you are cash tight, the best way is to try to build up the good relationship with your neighbour First. Then you tell him or her about this problem. if your neighbour understands, he/she would be nice to you even after that. but if he/she doesn't understand, i do not think that it will be a problem either! just invite him or her for your birthday or christmas! proble solved!!! or just invite him or her for a dinner or cup of tea at your place!! that way, you can build relationships and also maintain it - happily!! neighbours bound to need help some ways or another!! or just drop him/her a thank you card (and then, invitation card) would be nice too! Cool
jwellsy
For the barking, I would recommend that you ask your neighbor to get an outdoor ultrasonic bark trainer.
http://www.smarthome.com/61392.html

For the poo, talk to them about it, then start flipping it back into their yard.
cruisearound
You really need to go round & meet your new neighbour as soon as possible. Take a bottle of wine & make yourself welcome to them, mention that you have a dog yourself & admire their dogs. Mention in passing that you are an animal lover but do they think they could prevent theres from fouling your lawn. Do point out that you are far from a moaner & hope that if they have any gripes whatsover with you then they should feel welcome to come & let you know so that you can all live a pleasant life together.
Mention the fact that you hate to have to bring this up in a first meeting & by no means do you wish to complain at any given opportunity. Try to make light of the whole situation if possible & try & laugh about it.
amphillips2
Hi,
I have been on the other side of the problem..the owner of the annoying dogs. I had a dog I just loved, he was a border collie mix. The only problem was he was so territorial that everytime my new next door neighbor went into his backyard he would bark at him like crazy.
At first we didn't even notice it was a problem. We kept our dogs in at night, and part of the day as well. As everyone knows, dog's bark, and it just didn't occur to me that it might be annoying him. Soon, he called to complain. We adjusted and adjusted our dogs schedule till he was spending most of his time inside. Still we had the cops called on us several times. The cops got tired of the guy because he would call in the middle of the day because the dogs might have barked at him a couple of times. The cop would show up, the dogs would be fine and the cop would get annoyed with the guy.
That just made it escalate because the guys frustration went up. My poor dog got more and more skitzo from being inside all the time. (Border collies need lots to do and lots of exercise). The dog got to where he would nip at anyone that came close to us. So we decided to start trying to walk him in the neighborhood to try and get him the exercise he needed. Needless to say, he bit the guy, and I had to give up my dog, have him destroyed. It broke my heart.
If we had made an attempt to get to know our neighor instead of just reacting to his complaints, or if he had made an attempt to get to know us, we might still have our dog today. Go talk to your neighbor. If he is a dog lover too, he will understand and it is much better to avoid all the issues that come up when you don't communicate directly.
amphillips2
Hi,
I have been on the other side of the problem..the owner of the annoying dogs. I had a dog I just loved, he was a border collie mix. The only problem was he was so territorial that everytime my new next door neighbor went into his backyard he would bark at him like crazy.
At first we didn't even notice it was a problem. We kept our dogs in at night, and part of the day as well. As everyone knows, dog's bark, and it just didn't occur to me that it might be annoying him. Soon, he called to complain. We adjusted and adjusted our dogs schedule till he was spending most of his time inside. Still we had the cops called on us several times. The cops got tired of the guy because he would call in the middle of the day because the dogs might have barked at him a couple of times. The cop would show up, the dogs would be fine and the cop would get annoyed with the guy.
That just made it escalate because the guys frustration went up. My poor dog got more and more skitzo from being inside all the time. (Border collies need lots to do and lots of exercise). The dog got to where he would nip at anyone that came close to us. So we decided to start trying to walk him in the neighborhood to try and get him the exercise he needed. Needless to say, he bit the guy, and I had to give up my dog, have him destroyed. It broke my heart.
If we had made an attempt to get to know our neighor instead of just reacting to his complaints, or if he had made an attempt to get to know us, we might still have our dog today. Go talk to your neighbor. If he is a dog lover too, he will understand and it is much better to avoid all the issues that come up when you don't communicate directly.
Sharpe
You don't have a fence on the border of the lawns to keep them out?
GSIS
First read about some of the sh!t that's going on with Neighbours From Hell at this forum:

http://www.nfh.org.uk

You will need to have a chat with your neighbour unless you decide to just put up a fence. There's an even chance that doing either will solve the problem or be the start of years of grief and serious hassle.

If you do nothing your neighbour will probably decide that you are weak and will, most likely, start to take advantage in other ways.
Gagnar The Unruly
You could also just put up a cheap temporary fence using galvanized steel wire (4'x50' roll ~$30) clipped onto steel t-posts (about $3 each) if your're really sick of it. You could talk to your neighbors, but it sounds like they are letting their dogs loose and aren't likely to care where their dogs are pooping or what they are doing. Your dog would probably like the yard, anyways.
silvermesh
I'm not sure what the major problem is. I would get good with your neighbor and instead of making all the dogs only go in certain parts, just have an arrangement where you both help clean both yards, let all three dogs live a bit more like they just share a big backyard.
fbcompany
Buy a bigger angrier dog. Soon those other dogs will know whos boss.

Plus your new dog can eat annoying little children if u want it to.
sopetite
If you talk to your neighbors nicely about their dog's problem, and they get mad... then they're crazy. Move to a new place. Seriously.
neljx
I agree with most of the comments, communication is the most obvious resolution, talk with your neighbours in a non confrontational manner in the first instance. Maybe invite them over for coffee. I also like the suggestion of communal cleaning up. However, if talking doesn't help, the fence is probably the most obvious and practical solution.

Does your dog get on well with theirs?
xanarulz
I would go to petco and buy some of the liquid scent to block them from going on my lawn, some brands actually work and your neighbors would not notice it sense the dogs would be the only one who could smell it, or you can just fence it off as you were planning to
iJonno
Maybe go over to their place and sit down and have a chat. Bond with your neighbours. The same thing happened when I moved into a new house when I was 15. Thats what my parents did .. Fortunetly it worked Razz

But eventually we did have to get a fence put up because the neighbours dogs were disobedient.

Jonno'
roboguyspacedude
do what you do with a dog who doesn't work anymore and take a shotgun and shot it....jkjk.....you could build a fence.
jsk02a
Yeah, I would suggest just building a fence. Summer is right around the corner (if you live in the western hemisphere), and the best thing for a boundry issue is to build a wall to keep unwanted people out...look at East and West Berlin...of course, don't let your house become unkept and unruly because the dogs might just tear down the fence and continue roaming and doing their stuff all over your lawn. Wink