FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How about Frihost-powered webs of notes and a resource page?

ysamphy
It would be great to surf through what are called Frihost-powered webs of notes. A resource page would also be helpful for the new-to-webhosting members when it comes to how to get the best out of their webhosting.

To me, it is a good way for a beginner like me to learn of how to build a good website and for a web host to provide their services more effectively.
garionw
I'm not quite sure what you meant there... Was it a Frihost Wiki that allowed you to learn things like PHP and mySQL, or was it guides and tutorials on how to setup things like Forums and Blogs?

I once had the idea of a Frihost Newbie's pack. Once you were accepted, and received a webhosting account, This would be a page couple of pages explaining how to setup things like mySQL databases and upload files into your webspace.

[Offtopic]You could also have one similar for the forums. In theory it might help reduce the amount of rule breakers, Why: People aren't going to click on a link just to read the plain old black and white rules, but if they where there with fancy images explaining what not to do, how the points system works, there's probably a better chance of user's also reading the rules!

But I'm not saying you've broken the rules though, ysamphy Laughing
ysamphy
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was:

1- [Websites of Note] I would like to see some of the websites hosted by Frihost which are considered by Frihost as webs of notes, just something like Blogger does. Blogger has a page called Blogs of Notes, in which Blogger team choose the blogs that interest them. This is what I have viewed very often for my sample to improve my blog. I have personally learned of how to improve my blog from there.

2- [Resource page] I guess you have explained this. (Sorry. This was because I haven't requested a hosting account yet.) Well, what I meant was something like a Help page that serves as a resource center when we are building and publishing our website and pages. The reason I raised this was that I could not find a link that says Help, but only FAQ which I think may not be enough for a beginner like me to learn about web-hosting on my own.

Well, I am really sorry if I was out of the topic here. I did spend some time reading the "Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING!" page and thought it should be ok to post these two suggestions. I hope it is tolerable.
garionw
No, you haven't broken any rules, so don't worry Wink, and beside, you'd be the first new user to actually read the sticky before posting Wink.

In reply to your first point, there is a Frihost Directory, you are able to submit up to three sites into that, and then you can bid on them, the 11 highest bidders get their link's down the side of the directory for the remainder of the month. While this may not be the top 11 sites, they are usually there by the people who post here a lot! I think it has been suggested before that there is some sort of "Top Sites in Frihost" and can't remember if this was getting implemented or not. Failing that, you can head on over to the HTML and CSS forums and start a discussion about what makes a good website.

I myself, wouldn't mind having some sort of tutorial for your hosting account, and I am more than happy to piece it together if Bondings wants me to, but in the end, it wouldn't be a bad idea. There could be a few tutorials in Web Hosting Support and the Tutorials forums, but if you would like certain software setup (Forums or Blogs) head on over to the Marketplace, and there would be more than 1 user in there willing to set it up for you for free (However, some users like myself ask for a banner at the bottom of your page though!)

Hoped that helped!
ysamphy
This message below is a great resource for me. Thanks a lot! I am learning something though slowly and not as effectively as I would in an IT class. I expect to bother you again when it comes to those things you mentioned.

Again, many thanks for your helpful comments! Very Happy

garionw wrote:
No, you haven't broken any rules, so don't worry Wink, and beside, you'd be the first new user to actually read the sticky before posting Wink.

In reply to your first point, there is a Frihost Directory, you are able to submit up to three sites into that, and then you can bid on them, the 11 highest bidders get their link's down the side of the directory for the remainder of the month. While this may not be the top 11 sites, they are usually there by the people who post here a lot! I think it has been suggested before that there is some sort of "Top Sites in Frihost" and can't remember if this was getting implemented or not. Failing that, you can head on over to the HTML and CSS forums and start a discussion about what makes a good website.

I myself, wouldn't mind having some sort of tutorial for your hosting account, and I am more than happy to piece it together if Bondings wants me to, but in the end, it wouldn't be a bad idea. There could be a few tutorials in Web Hosting Support and the Tutorials forums, but if you would like certain software setup (Forums or Blogs) head on over to the Marketplace, and there would be more than 1 user in there willing to set it up for you for free (However, some users like myself ask for a banner at the bottom of your page though!)

Hoped that helped!