FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you get a good hair cut?

HoboPelican
This has always baffled me. How do you tell a stylist/barber how you want your hair cut? I tell them I want it x inches here, touching collar there, etc and it never seems to come out how I want. It's even worse for my wife. She asks for an inch taken off and they cut 2 inches. She shows them a pic and they say they can do it and it isnt even close. I'm not slamming the stylists, I just think it is often miscommunication. So my question is, does anyone have tips on how to get the cut you want (or even how to get the stylist to say it isn't possible)?

Oddly enough I have better luck with the cut-rate places than at salons. And trying to use the same stylist never seems to work, since they seem to move around so much... Any words of wisdom?
Wynand
The thing about communicating to your hair stylist is that you have a picture in your head of how you want to look. You describe this picture and the stylist them cuts your hare the way she thinks the way the picture in your head looks like. This is where the major miscommunication comes in.

Using a photo will also not get you accurate result, because every person’s hair has different attributes and it is therefore very difficult too look like that person even if your hair are done exactly the same way.

I may suggest that you take a picture of yourself when you achieved the perfect style and then give that picture to your stylist.

What I actually want to say is that the stylist will not let you look bad. Trust their judgment. They do this every day of their lives. In addition, if you do not look exactly like, you wanted to; know that you do look good.
HoboPelican
Wynand wrote:
I may suggest that you take a picture of yourself when you achieved the perfect style and then give that picture to your stylist.

What I actually want to say is that the stylist will not let you look bad. Trust their judgment. They do this every day of their lives. In addition, if you do not look exactly like, you wanted to; know that you do look good.

Yeah, that occured to me, but you'd need at least 3 shots, front, back and side. And that assumes that I am going for a cut I already had and am not trying to change anything.

Any thoughts on the the issue of them cutting off 2 inches when My wife was asking for only one inch?
Jeff_vella_leone
hate hair stylist , you are increadibly right man
they say they can do it and they make shit
my mom cuts better than them
i dont expect much just tell the cm or inc of what i want but they even suk in that
i say omg how?
man i tell them 2 cm they cut 1.5 or even 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
make me crasy
bassman
I completely agree. I've never been able to get a cut that I had envisioned. I've tried to just "trust" them, but 1. it makes me nervous and 2. it's never the kind I really want. The other thing that drives me nuts is how expensive it is to get your hair cut these days. Some salons ask for $40 for just a cut. I think that that's a little too much considering how much you end up not getting what you want anyway.
HoboPelican
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
hate hair stylist , you are increadibly right man
they say they can do it and they make shit
my mom cuts better than them
i dont expect much just tell the cm or inc of what i want but they even suk in that
i say omg how?
man i tell them 2 cm they cut 1.5 or even 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
make me crasy

Well, I am not blaming stylists in general. Most that I've gone to do a nice job. It just often is not what I wanted. My issue was communication and how to tell them what I want. And to get them to tell me if they can do it or not.
engeland
Sometimes it does ALSO depend on your hair. You can't expect to have some spunky hairstyle if you've got very strong curls, can you?

Then again, if that's not the issue, relating what you want your hair to be like is pretty difficult. Most of the time, the stylist just does BAD at his job.

A suggestion is to explain to them the lengths only of your hair, and not how you want it styled. So all they need to do is to cut.
If not, cut your hair yourself. Wink
ThornsOfSorrow
Although you're correct in saying that stylists move around quite a bit, I'd try to stick with the same one. In doing that, when they screw up your hair the first time, you can go back to them again and adjust how you tell them to cut your hair. For example, I always ask my stylist to trim one inch off my hair when I really want two since I know that if I asked for the right amount, she'd just make it too short. It's good to stick with the same person for as long as possible after learning just how much extra (or how much less) they trim from your hair.