FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New laptop ubuntu 6.10 problems

TheGeek
Ok, well I never thought that I would be the one here asking about how to install linux of all things (I have been using it for a long time) but it seems that I am having a problem installing it on my new laptop and I am at a loss as to why it wont work.

I just got a new Dell E1505 with a C2D processor, 2GB of RAM and an ATI mobility X1400 graphics card. Now when I go to install Ubuntu 6.10 it goes through the whole loading sequence and then when it gets to that load bar that means it is loading the OS, it just bounces back and forth for about 5 minutes and then my computer makes a last attempt to read the disk and my computer just freezes and I have to reboot. What could possibly be wrong? I am thinking it is a disk problem, that I possibly either burned a bad ISO or the CD was corrupt (maybe I burned it to fast). But I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it? Can anyone maybe give me a hand with this?
{name here}
TheGeek wrote:
Ok, well I never thought that I would be the one here asking about how to install linux of all things (I have been using it for a long time) but it seems that I am having a problem installing it on my new laptop and I am at a loss as to why it wont work.

I just got a new Dell E1505 with a C2D processor, 2GB of RAM and an ATI mobility X1400 graphics card. Now when I go to install Ubuntu 6.10 it goes through the whole loading sequence and then when it gets to that load bar that means it is loading the OS, it just bounces back and forth for about 5 minutes and then my computer makes a last attempt to read the disk and my computer just freezes and I have to reboot. What could possibly be wrong? I am thinking it is a disk problem, that I possibly either burned a bad ISO or the CD was corrupt (maybe I burned it to fast). But I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it? Can anyone maybe give me a hand with this?

I remember this problem being discussed on the Ubuntu forums. It's not the CD. I believe it is a driver problem or something like that because I believe that they fixed the problem. Do a search for a topic on the Ubuntu forums called "Unable to Install Ubuntu" or something like that that is quite recent. If all else fails search for the actual symptoms of the problem.
TheGeek
ok nvm I posted to soon, it was a bad CD image

WIFI WORKS WITHOUT HAVING TO CONFIG IT!!!! I LOVE INTEL PROSET!!!

/close