FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Regenerating .dll files - virus?

ainieas
Tell me, any .dll file that regenerates, that is after I delete it from Windows XP's Windows\System32 folder comes back again, is it a virus or can some safe .dll files do the same.

I hope I could get my meaning through. I've been affected by many viruses lately and my anti-viruses seem to be of no damn use. I'm quite at a loss.
askchris
There is such a thing called windows file protection, it may not be that dll's are actually deleting and re-apearing it maybe just windows file protection doing its job. If you are worried about things like this try using Kasperski Internet Security v6, this is my current security suite, and after over 10 years in the industry using all the rest like norton etc, this is the best, but as ever a new even better one will come through soon.

I hope this has helped answer your question
mystzero
Totally agree with askchris.

Windows File Protection has been implemented since Windows 2000 and followed on by Windows ME. It prevents the user from messing up with system files. Whenever a user deletes a file from the system32 directory(sometimes Windows directory too), a so-called backup file will be copied from the system32\dllcache directory to the corresponding directory. Well, you could disable Windows File Protection from the registry (if you know which keys to edit). Just for your info, Windows File Protection is turn off when Windows is booted in safe mode.
ainieas
Thanks a lot guys. I had thought those files to be viruses/trojans/malwares but found out it wasn't so.
But my computer is severely infected. I've Trend Micro OfficeScan Client, Microsoft AntiSpyware, Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal etc yet I can't seem to keep my system safe!
MonkeyBones
I find that when it comes to computer protection, it's always best to throw a placebo of software at it just like when trying to fight off something like AIDS.

Keep in mind that there are different types of software. There are virus/spyware/adware scanners and removers and there is also software that does that and also has active scanning capabilities. This means it will scan things as they are downloaded to your computer.

Alot of people like to use the active scan software products. I do not. Those programs they load in memory to scan your machine really slow down it's capabilities. I find it's best to use no software and just make a ritual out of scannign and removing bad things from your computer on a regular basis.

For spyware/adware I use:

Spy Boy Search & Destroy & Ewido

For Virus Protection I use:

Trend Micro's Active Scan... I find this to be a very good detection tool. It's not good at removing alot of things but it will tell you what you have. If you are infected, you can download a free scan.exe removal file from them and a virus database file that will clean you up good. Smile

I'll admist that I also use AVG from avast.com. I do not use it's active scanning abilities though.

I'm a gamer. It's all about performance sometimes. Smile Just know that people that think one or two programs will protect you and keep you safe. That is a lie. Get as many as you can and just make a schedule to scan and clean every few days. You'll be more pleased with the performance of your pc vs using active scanning softwares.

Good luck.
ainieas
MonkeyBones wrote:
I find that when it comes to computer protection, it's always best to throw a placebo of software at it just like when trying to fight off something like AIDS.

Keep in mind that there are different types of software. There are virus/spyware/adware scanners and removers and there is also software that does that and also has active scanning capabilities. This means it will scan things as they are downloaded to your computer.

Alot of people like to use the active scan software products. I do not. Those programs they load in memory to scan your machine really slow down it's capabilities. I find it's best to use no software and just make a ritual out of scannign and removing bad things from your computer on a regular basis.

For spyware/adware I use:

Spy Boy Search & Destroy & Ewido

For Virus Protection I use:

Trend Micro's Active Scan... I find this to be a very good detection tool. It's not good at removing alot of things but it will tell you what you have. If you are infected, you can download a free scan.exe removal file from them and a virus database file that will clean you up good. Smile

I'll admist that I also use AVG from avast.com. I do not use it's active scanning abilities though.

I'm a gamer. It's all about performance sometimes. Smile Just know that people that think one or two programs will protect you and keep you safe. That is a lie. Get as many as you can and just make a schedule to scan and clean every few days. You'll be more pleased with the performance of your pc vs using active scanning softwares.

Good luck.

Thanks for replying. I totlly agree with the active scan products slowing down your machine. You wouldn't believe just how slow my comp has become.
I did notice that my Trend Micro OfficeScan detects the viruses but deems them as "cannot remove". Thats kinda annoying. Off late I'm spending most of my time downloading all kinds of scanners.