FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UK Dog Laws

Should There Be Stricter Dog Laws?
Yes!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
There's No Need
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
It's The Dog, Not The Owner
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Owners Need More Training, Not Dogs
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

nappy
So with another young child being killed by a Dog in the home.... are we really a nation of good pet owners?

I'm the first to admit I'm not a dog person, but I do believe dog owners should have the same big brother approach as parents - Why put more children at risk?

*hides behind chair awaiting tomatoes , fruit and other objects to be thrown*
Lusiphur
Dogs actions are dependant on how they are raised. If they are indoors, constantly around people and trained I don't see a problem.

On the other hand, when you have people that want "hard man" dogs we have a serious problem. These are dogs that are kept outside (limited interaction with people), and taught to growl on command (and possible to attack) and IMO not giving the right care/attention a dog needs. It's like neglecting a child, or training a child to be violent, it will obviously effect how they behave.

What sickens me is that the RSPCA are not doing mass "put downs" of pit bulls and other dogs they consider dangerous.
nopaniers
I think the UK is already massively over-regulated as it is. There's no need for any more laws about dogs. Let us be responsible for ourselves instead of just adding more and more bureaucracy.
Bikerman
As a dog owner it always dismays me to see this sort of story in the news. As previous posters have pointed out the responsibility must lie with the owner.
We have 3 dogs which are all trained and compete regularly in Agility trials.
To train a dog properly is time consuming and costs money. We reckon on about 1 year of training (2 one hour sessions a week with a trainer and several hours work per week on top) for our dogs before we consider them ready to be off the lead in any public place. With one of our dogs we would never put him in the situation where he could harm a child at all - he was a rescue dog from the RSPCA and although 5 years of training, patience, and affection have transformed him, there is damage that will never heal properly and you have to accept and deal with that.

Regards
Chris
Tiger
I've lived around dogs my whole life, since I was a toddler, and so did both my parents. I've been bitten twice in my life. Once when I tried to stop a dog fight as a teenager, and once (also as a teenager), when my friend's old, half-blind dog bit me in the backside at the swimming pool, when he thought he was cornered. I was facing the pool and shouting at my friend, with the old dog behind me with his back against the wall.

Basically, I believe that in most cases, the owner is at fault,especially when young children are involved. I've known lots of dog owners, many of them had children. Some allowed their children to pull the dogs tail, pinch or pull its ears, or even smack the dog. If the dog then bit said child, the dog would be blamed, Who is really at fault in such circumstances? I would say the owner.

First they should take the time to teach the child not to abuse the animal (or any animal). Next they should teach the dog obedience and tolerance of children. It's more than possible, but far too many people are too lazy or too incompetent.

Unfortunately there are just far too many people like this around these days, like the parents who allow their two or three year old to stand in the passenger seat, or sit on their laps while they are driving.

I've also been to a few dog clubs, and seen how owners behave irresponsibly, sometimes causing a dog fight and sometimes causing other members to be bitten. Let your dog run around the club grounds or a park off-leash where there are dozens of other dogs, or children holding food, and what do you think will happen?

Don't always blame the dog for the poor performance of the owner.
Tiger
I've lived around dogs my whole life, since I was a toddler, and so did both my parents. I've been bitten twice in my life. Once when I tried to stop a dog fight as a teenager, and once (also as a teenager), when my friend's old, half-blind dog bit me in the backside at the swimming pool, when he thought he was cornered. I was facing the pool and shouting at my friend, with the old dog behind me with his back against the wall.

Basically, I believe that in most cases, the owner is at fault,especially when young children are involved. I've known lots of dog owners, many of them had children. Some allowed their children to pull the dogs tail, pinch or pull its ears, or even smack the dog. If the dog then bit said child, the dog would be blamed, Who is really at fault in such circumstances? I would say the owner.

First they should take the time to teach the child not to abuse the animal (or any animal). Next they should teach the dog obedience and tolerance of children. It's more than possible, but far too many people are too lazy or too incompetent.

Unfortunately there are just far too many people like this around these days, like the parents who allow their two or three year old to stand in the passenger seat, or sit on their laps while they are driving.

I've also been to a few dog clubs, and seen how owners behave irresponsibly, sometimes causing a dog fight and sometimes causing other members to be bitten. Let your dog run around the club grounds or a park off-leash where there are dozens of other dogs, or children holding food, and what do you think will happen?

Don't always blame the dog for the poor performance of the owner.
Hoggie
Unfortunately as a pro dog trainer I see many dogs who are simply out of control through owners lack of understanding of the animal.

Every dog owner has a duty to ensure that their own dog is under control at all times..... that means leashed if it is likely to run off and muzzled if it is a known fighter. Unfortunately many owners simply bury their heads in the sand and ignore a problem their dog has hoping that it is "only a phaze he/she is going through".

In most cases it's the owners that have caused the problem in the first place either through ignorance or worse design and no amount of legislation will ever sort that out.

It's true that certain breeds are more dangerous than others due to their own breeding over the years but it still comes down to the owners of those dogs and what they want to get from them.
Tiger
Hoggie wrote:
Unfortunately as a pro dog trainer I see many dogs who are simply out of control through owners lack of understanding of the animal.

Agreed, but I would go further and say the owners lack of discipline and social responsibility.

Too many people these days are not willing to take responsibility and show proper concern for others. As Hoggie says, they bury their heads in the sand.

In cases where illegal dogs are involved, the full weight of the law should be brought to bear. In the old days, they had dog licenses, but really, if people were just responsible and disciplined enough as owners, things should go smoothly. No need for excessive legislation.