FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Design your perfect MMORPG

Trog
This is a hypothetical situation. You're a MMORPG player, suddenly a huge opportunity lands in your lap....you're given access to some of the best games designers in the world, and a warehouse full of servers to design and run the ultimate MMORPG. What would it be like?

For me it would be a science fiction epic. Each person has their own primary quest, the ultimate goal for that character. Access to technology is pretty simple, but there's alien technology in abundance, and no-one knows how it works. Each piece of new technology is a puzzle in its own right, and it's one thing to know what an item does, another entirely to find the right alien tools to get the technology to work.

Stations are built with raw components, get them wrong and a section can suffer a hull breach then you need to get into an EVA suit fast, after that you can start to worry about how much air you have left.

The more in-depth and believable the game the better...the more natural events can potentially harm you, the better.
BlazeDragon132
My ideal RPG would be kinda like the Zelda franchise.
Fun weapons in a 3rd person view that is live action.
Blu_Spykz
I would love to play a Stargate *SG-1* MMORPG but as that is being designed, I quite like the idea of playing an MMORPG based on Resident Evil.

With characters to choose from including the police, Jay the bar owner, or famous characters like STARS, Leon Kennedy, Claire Redfield, or even play as zombies (or Ganados...)
Firebird
My ideal MMORPG would be a Mortal Kombat MMORPG. You are in a realm(A little bit like Mortal Kombat Deception's konquest mode) and you are walking around as your chosen characters and you see other characters as well,and you can go up to them and start a fight or talk or make a clan and have your members do certain jobs for you.Then if you collect enough reputation or money or something you can go and open a portal taking you to the next realm where you meet more people and rival gangs and you have fights.Oh,and the enviroment is fully interactive so you can kick people into trees and the trees might fall down and you can lift and throw things.Also it has to be very bloody and gorey.Say you pick up a rock and drop it them it would be cool if they would explode or something.This would be my ideal MMORPG.
RubySlasher
Oh! I'd want an android MMORPG, where everyone is an android, and you live on the space satelites, and then organic matter starts attacking you (ohnos!) and then you have quests to stop them from taking over your satelites.
Duncan Idaho
I could tell you, but I want copyrights to it Laughing (can't say it over the web)
Duncan Idaho
Firebird wrote:
My ideal MMORPG would be a Mortal Kombat MMORPG. You are in a realm(A little bit like Mortal Kombat Deception's konquest mode) and you are walking around as your chosen characters and you see other characters as well,and you can go up to them and start a fight or talk or make a clan and have your members do certain jobs for you.Then if you collect enough reputation or money or something you can go and open a portal taking you to the next realm where you meet more people and rival gangs and you have fights.Oh,and the enviroment is fully interactive so you can kick people into trees and the trees might fall down and you can lift and throw things.Also it has to be very bloody and gorey.Say you pick up a rock and drop it them it would be cool if they would explode or something.This would be my ideal MMORPG.

The realms wouldn't be big enough...and Outworld would be alot of realms in one so...
account
Mine would be like an online world. You can take a picture of yourself and your in the game. It would be a first person game so it would seem more life like. The only thing that would be different then everyday world is you would be able to smack people in the head with whatever you want, or shoot them with machine guns and they will come back to life. If a hacker tries to hack into our system the system will hack there computer so every time they get on they see a monkey flinging poop at there screen. Smile
ForceRun
I guess my master game would be something like BattleField 2 set up. Where you start out as a footsoilder and move up the ranks. But expand into air and space combat. Almost like the star wars universe but also inter twine all of all of the battle field like have a space battlecruser cruse down point blank to the foot and tanks battle. Also throw in the Command and Conquer setup, with base building, cut out all the rpg level uping and that crap and focus on glatic combat. Now that would be a sweet game.
linkman2004
I completely agree with BlazeDragon132. I Zelda style MMORPG would totally kick@$$! I've been waiting for something like that for ages.
Derioh
A fantasy RPG with a Fullmetal Alchemist-like setting, post-WO1, pre-WO2 era doesn't sound bad...
Perhaps a Cold War-era RPG...

Very difficult ideas, that's why it can become a high success... or perhaps, not at all

There are enough medieval fantasy RPG's... now we have to wait for the stone age RPG
Trog
Firebird wrote:

Try Ryzom...not quite that, but you'll like the oriental combat feel.
Trog
account wrote:
Mine would be like an online world. You can take a picture of yourself and your in the game. It would be a first person game so it would seem more life like. The only thing that would be different then everyday world is you would be able to smack people in the head with whatever you want, or shoot them with machine guns and they will come back to life. If a hacker tries to hack into our system the system will hack there computer so every time they get on they see a monkey flinging poop at there screen. Smile

Hmm...okay, sounds like Second Life would be your thing, not that you could call it a game, more a....now what was it?.....oh yeah.....a second life Smile

Second life is an online community system. The primary advantage is that you can build things, anything, program it (If you have the knowledge), texture it, animate it, and sell it....now, if you sell items you gain Linden dollars...the current exchange rate is 200L$ for 1 real one....some people are actually making real money from this game...but be warned, if you don't have the head to do it, it'll cost you money...real money.
Kirbyssj
Graphics: 2D
Char: Lots of Ninjas mby some Pirates.
GamePlay: Beat the crap out of other players(I guess there would be the two factions of ninjas and pirates.)
I guess there would be some monsters as well.
Fast lving but not to easy to lv.
Cut scenes.
Full game events.
lost
Hmmm...my ideal game actrually i am already in planning for my MMORPG cuz i have the soft ware to amke one or more ^^....

Its gona be like W.O.W and KO type

itll have wow graphics with ko style controling/view

u will be able to have a few clans "1 or more"

buddies

fight monsters

PVP

GM-events and MORE
rouge568
A MMORGP, based on the real world, where there are no pre-planned actions, but everything is governed by the laws of physics, chemistry, etc. Every movement would be calculated and determined as you do it. Weight, mass, rections, texture: all would have to be entered, but it would be the sickest thing ever.
squeakypants
MMORPGs are horrible.

RPGs are boring, because there's no gameplay aspect. If I wanted to experience a good storyline or great graphics, I'd watch a movie.

MMORPGs are pretty much RPGs without the storyline, which defeats the purpose! However, MMOGs are a great idea, and I wish there were more. Games like Space Cowboy and Huxley are/look amazing. I don't understand why there are so few games where the online mode is done like the single player. MMOGs are like that, except the game itself is designed specifically for onlilne and online alone.
moonblade
squeakypants wrote:
MMORPGs are horrible.

RPGs are boring, because there's no gameplay aspect. If I wanted to experience a good storyline or great graphics, I'd watch a movie.

Can't agree with that, to be honest. I have no idea what RPGs you have played, of course, but taking the "classics" of the end of the '90ies - Fallout and Baldur's Gate series - these have a great amount of gameplay involved. Neverwinter Nights the original campaign has the blandest storyline ever, yet made it to be one of the most popular RPGs for a couple of years. Why? Surely not because of the oh-so-exciting-story-of-predictable-evil-stuff? Replayability and gameplay were pretty damn good. Furthermore, RPGs aren't exactly about storylines - they're about developing and playing your character. In essence, all the levels, epic loot and other stuff are added bells and whistles, something that attracts the public for a show-off of a length of their sword.

Furthermore, still but five years ago, roleplaying games were known to be things with outdated graphics but rather outstanding gameplay. Unfortunately, current industry development turned the genre to what you describe - pretty picture, generic Hollywood Fantasy story and zero gameplay.
Senshida
I would want... A Super Mario MMO. xD
Be a plumber, dinosaur, princess, or a humanoid mushroom.
It should play like a normal 3-d mario game, but with levels and equips.

(oh, and it should be for Wii)
roach831
i would like to have a resident evil look alike but way better graphics and better looking zombies, and we can use a plastic gun to aim at your tv
vaoger
well.. i hope mmorpg will have this kind of feature:
at least 14 out of 20 of this....
1. team speak or call, Left msg will be great
2.home building or land marking as mine property
3. Guild war (of coz but with great guild skill)
4.. pet sytem ( with AI n evolution char...)
5. smarter monster with high drop rate but low exp rate
6. more continuous quest with special skill gaining tru the quest ( for example.. mining, fusion, medication, meditation,combo,translaion of certain unreadable text...
7. more n more job with doll dressing system for character
8. cute n cute for kids n girl to hav fun too..
9.no prepaid sytem.. but inxchange of point system that can be trade)
10.. fame or rank system
11.custom weapon ( where a weapon can be made by player n name by player)
12. more slot for equitment
13.more mini game or harder puzzle!
14.more kind of weopon n equitment
15.large map with area specification element or zone
16. 3rd person view of character
17.able to jump or fly or swim or dive
18.stable server
19. NO BOT
20.> low requrement to play <
Mikee
Alright... I see why there are no high rated MMO's coming out soon. And on top of that, I also see why I am in the game design field.

Here's a run down of an amazing MMO.

First off. You have to have a storyline, even through it's mmo. The storyline needs to be a common event that effects every player/character in a certain way. You need a good character design system. You need an amazing gearing/eq system that will give players a custom look and a reason to grind/instance their way through the game. Exp must be gained easily, but you'd need a great deal before a level is gained. Features such as mounts, pets, pvp, and other things are what make an MMO a GOOD and INTERESTING MMO.

Features I'd like to see eventually:

1. Customizable mount armor.
2. Social armor that gives no bonuses, but customize your character even further.
3. Guild/faction wars that are flagged, then accepted by the opposing guild that automatically opens guild members for pvp at any time and any place.
4. Party/group duels (like WoW duels, but that are requested from the entire group for the entire opposing group)
5. Player housing/land/boats/and definitely shops such as pubs/bars, stores, smiths, and even stables.
6. Player to player training. Once a skill is mastered, the player can train other characters that meet the requirement how to use the skill for gold, or whatever the trainer wants. (This will make twinks more likely, but a much more believable and interesting skill system)
7. No set classes. (The player chooses their history, fighting or magic, then from that, they learn skills based on their skill points, from any trainer that will teach them. Then class titles will be unlocked that will unlock certain skills, such as samurai, barbarians, warmages, ninja/assassins, and even things like angels or demons could be worked into it.
8. Visual altering system. Every level the character gains a visual point where they can add to their height, weight, muscle, or maybe even their cumliness. Or can be subtracted (losing weight)
9. Character aging system. You choose boy or girl and a hair color and every level your visual points age you and you create your character's final appearance within the game, based on however you want them to look.
10. Player created weapons that are named whatever they like, and are made with items they discover. Any item added alters the affect and outcome in some way, making gunblades or mechanical flaming swords, depending on what the player uses.

Those are a mere few of the ideas that I'd definitely like to see.
wahoyaho
World of Warcraft seems to be doing pretty well :p I wouldn't mind World of Diablo neither :p
Wuppie
Something realistic that doesn't focus on killing so much weird monsters, butgetting experience with things that are more fun.
Nameless
squeakypants wrote:

You have clearly never played a roguelike.

As to the actual question at hand, I too wouldn't mind seeing a MMORPG in the same gameplay style as Zelda, but with randomly generated dungeons, puzzles and such.
Keran
That's probably crazy and technically impossible but I'd like to have an mmo made on Wii, where You could use Your Wii controller to control Your weapon. That way pvp and pve would actually take real skill ;p Too bad it's impossible ;p
Wuppie
squeakypants wrote:
MMORPGs are horrible.

So if you play a game you don't want good graphics and no story? Do you only play space invaders or tetris on your mobile phone?
TheLastKnight
Well, for me you would have a person, and that person has to travel all across the world. And like Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess, have an annoying thing follow you around. Later in it they would find something out about him/her and you and the annoying thing would be friends, and he/she'd help you out more than normal.
simonwest80
Mine would be taking something like battle field and make it even bigger, so everything links in. Gaining bases and positions, moving troops to weakend positions etc. Get your different types of soldiers to do different jobs in combat. A constant flowing battle field - so almost exactly like ww2 or maybe a new modern war. In this game the exp would be really easy to get but the difference here is when your guy dies you dont "respawn" you got start again, so you also try to use a lot of skill keeping the guy alive.
simonwest80
Quote:
Mikee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 am Post subject:
Alright... I see why there are no high rated MMO's coming out soon. And on top of that, I also see why I am in the game design field.

Last time i checked mate there are 1.5 very highly rated MMOs due out in the near future and one just been released

Conan has just been released, Wraith of the litch King (yes i know its just another add on to WoW but its introducing lots of new content) and finally one of the most anticipated games of this year is Warhammer Online.
Fire Boar
Hm, how about PokéMMOnRPG? (Sorry!)
Nehallyn
Yeah, and you can call it that!

Seriously, though, PokeMon is dying out. I can't see something like that drawing a huge audience anymore. Maybe if you had thought of it sooner...
Arnie
My perfect MMORPG already exists. It's called Progress Quest. That's the purest image of the concept you'll ever see.
HalfBloodPrince
They should make a Dragonball Z MMORPG, or something like that. But it's quite predictable that everyone will make their character like Goku or Vegeta.
jessic007
My ideal MMO would be WoW without the fees. I think they would get many many more players if they did that.
xaogo
has anyone played runescape when it just started? i was probably one of the first 200-300 person to play the game. Back then you could attack anyone at any location. THAT is how an mmorpg should be like, it was so much fun.
InsanePL
Check the http://playatlantica.com

That`s my perfect mmorpg xD
Cuz of final fantasy battle system and no candy-gfx Smile
Pikokola
well...
one thing, I played not for being npcs slaves.

quest should be story wise, not just, go get that item with this amount, come here and I'll give you reward.

and, full class modification, that will be cool.