FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Driver's license in the US at 16 moved up to 17?

zjosie729
In school, my language arts teacher gave us an assignment, to write a persuasive essay saying whether or not a teen can get driver's license at 16 1/2 or if they should move the age up to 17 1/2. I thought it'd be a good discussion.

I think 16 1/2 would be good. What do you think?
gh0stface
There's a reason why teens don't get their license until 17. They don't have enough experience driving. Not saying that experience has to do with everything, but it does play a huge role as students who gets the license are excited with another addition of freedomness.

In Michigan, we have to drive a set amount of hours with your parent or adult guardian and they have to sign a slip. After that, I believe then you are allowed to drive up until midnight or whenever your job lets you out. Once you hit 18, then you move onto an unrestricted license. Or something like that, it's been so long and I don't have to worry about it anymore Razz
SonLight
When I got my first license, the driver training course in high school was relatively new, and I was able to get my license at 15 1/2 years old. Getting your license has long been an important rite of passage for teenagers in the US. Unfortunately, it is also dangerous for young and relatively inexperienced drivers to drive without limits, especially when they are commonly testing their limits with everything they do.

Many states have increased the age or put limits on the youngest drivers as a matter of public safety. There is a lot of conflict between the desire for safety and the recognition that driving is an important privilege that they look forward to.
theLOGANhole
In Montreal, Quebec, Canada where I live there doesn't seem to be an issue with adolescents causing many accidents because the cops are everywhere, they are always giving tickets out so it's hard to drive like an idiot.

When I visit my family in Ontario, Canada they live close to Toronto there way with dealing with adolescents is by making insurance really expensive I mean in my province insurance for a New Car regular sedan would be around $2000 as a occasional driver whereas in Ontario a second driver would be around $4000 now of course every car is different but, it seems the method they use to prevent many teenagers from driving at a young age is charging them alot on insurance, of course if your family is rich then it doesn't matter, but everyone has a different method.

I started driving at 19 and my friend started at 16 and having a car at 16 is the ultimate cool thing, the problem is you do many stupid things...I have no idea overall what should be done....I don't care anymore since I'm 22, but I would think 16 is a good age to start..
theLOGANhole
gh0stface wrote:

In Michigan, we have to drive a set amount of hours with your parent or adult guardian and they have to sign a slip. After that, I believe then you are allowed to drive up until midnight or whenever your job lets you out. Once you hit 18, then you move onto an unrestricted license. Or something like that, it's been so long and I don't have to worry about it anymore Razz

I think that this is the smartest thing restricting driving a night time is a smart thing for safety, especially that they are more likely to drink and driver after midnight, so if I had to choose which method this one seems the best.
Magicman
I'll be 17 by the time I get my license but I think that 16 is a good age to get ones license but it is true that there needs to be rules to protect new drivers. Being 16 years old myself I know we can do some pretty stupid things sometimes.
Soulfire
I'm 16 and a half and I have already around 2 years of driving under my belt. It's not a ton, but it is some - my parents made me drive everywhere, which I am thankful for.

I think it's fine the way it is, get your license at 16. The further you push it back, it won't give people more experience, it will just make them experience it later.

Furthermore, many kids need their licenses with school these days - between practices, rehearsals, sports events, etc. it's almost a necessity. Having my license saved my family's butt.
7Pound7
Its only at the age of 18 where I live, though at 17 you can do your theory exam

I think 16/17 is too young. 20 would be better. there is no much need for driving a car when you are 16/17
Dark_Tiger
7Pound7 wrote:
Its only at the age of 18 where I live, though at 17 you can do your theory exam

I think 16/17 is too young. 20 would be better. there is no much need for driving a car when you are 16/17

20? You live somewhere with viable public transportation, don't you?

Bad driving in younger drivers isn't because they're young, it's because they're inexperienced. The only way to slove this is to get people behind the wheel. If anything, you should get drivers to learn young, when better response times can at least partially cover the deficet of inexperience.

For the record, my state licenses at 16, with learner's permits at 15.
Handermier
I have noticed that all the younger people have said the age is too high. I think it is because they want the power of controlling a car. They want to have what they think is a right to drive. They preach that they want experience and the only way to get it is to drive. This is true, but start driving at 15? 16? They can barely keep their minds focused in school and they want to control tons of metal? Seems rather foolish to me.

Yes, I know not all teenagers are like that. The vast majority is though. They think they deserve things they don't. They are still immature. It is ok. They are just big kids. They should just sit back and try to relax about driving. It isn't the greatest thing you guys make it out to be. The bills that follow really sting.

I think that patience isn't somethinga lot of teenagers have, but you should try for it.

The reason I think this is because I watched two good friends of mine cause a big accident because they celebrated their license by racing. I was in a car a ways back and watched them bump the side of their cars at a turna dn one went off the road and nearly didn't make it back. A lot of accidents happen like this. It is just a shame.

-Handermier

P.S. Before you think I am some old man telling kids to stay off of his lawn. I am 20.
tyrant
16 is already considered good man, in singapore you need to be 18, and the goverment is still considering on whether they should change it to 21. -_-
SyncM
Were i live it 18 which is good maybe older. 16-17 is not mature to drive a car. Many off my friends act like idiots when they were 18. 16-17 have no self-criticism they think they are gods on road.
jmwarshay
I read that it takes a person about 5-6 years to learn how to be a good driver, meaning that a 16-year old will be 21 or 22. We need to look at making people better drivers. Restricting teen drivers may create hardship for some families because a teen driver may be driving siblings (or her/himself to school and activities). I know that it was much easier on my family when my son got his license and could drive his brother and sister to school. We need to look at resolving the problem by a means other than simply taking away privileges. That is the easy way to do it, but not necessarily the best. As we add more requirements, we increase the costs, meaning those who earn less may be excluded.
bluefossil
let's move it to 18. teenagers these days don't know how to drive!
snowboardalliance
SyncM wrote:
Were i live it 18 which is good maybe older. 16-17 is not mature to drive a car. Many off my friends act like idiots when they were 18. 16-17 have no self-criticism they think they are gods on road.

Yet there are also probably plenty of mature...15 year olds, and immature 21 year olds. I mean really, they have to set a limit somewhere, I think 16 is just fine, although 17 may be better.
Chalchihuitlicue
I think 16 is fine for many people, but I also wouldn't complain if the age was moved up to 17. However, if they did that, I still think they should begin Driver's Ed at 15 and a half, just so that new drivers can get more experience with an adult or instructor before hitting the road on their own. There are enough terrible drivers out there already, not counting all the poorly instructed kids with only five or six months of experience.
iNs@nE
Yes. It did happen.

Sad thing considering the case of my racer friend. The rule changed just a week before he turned sixteen. Now he has to wait for another whole year before he could get this license.

Some say this is bad but I would say 17 is way better than many other countries which offer license only at the age of 18 or 20. Now that's bad.