FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do the pyramids of Giza astound you?

Babsta
Yes they astound me. To date, with our amazing technology we haven't been able to build anything as precisely constructed as these pyramids. Such heavy structures require extremely strong foundations to support their weight and we see that the pyramids of Giza are built directly on top of a flat solid granite mountain. Do you know these pyramids' faces are positioned almost exactly in the directions of the four cardinal points (north, south, east and west) with less than one degree of error. I have always been fascinated by these pyramids and how the builders accounted for every possible damage the pyramids could undergo. It is believed that the purpose of the pyramids is to protect and preserve the bodies of the kings during their afterlife. And do you know a banana doesn't rot if placed in a pyramid. How cool =D
Is anyone else interested in pyramids here?

[img]http://images.google.com.pk/images?q=tbn:gi19D9ChWA10jM:http://mmmgroup.altervista.org/giza1.JPG[/img]

Smile Smile
Indi
Babsta wrote:
Yes they astound me. To date, with our amazing technology we haven't been able to build anything as precisely constructed as these pyramids.

What? Excuse me? The space stations and supertankers and towering skyscrapers and...?

Give me a break. -_-

Babsta wrote:
Do you know these pyramids' faces are positioned almost exactly in the directions of the four cardinal points (north, south, east and west) with less than one degree of error.

i'd heard closer to five degrees, actually. i assume you have a source to back your claim up?

Babsta wrote:
I have always been fascinated by these pyramids and how the builders accounted for every possible damage the pyramids could undergo.

With the exception of erosion? The pyramids have eroded considerably, you know.

Babsta wrote:
And do you know a banana doesn't rot if placed in a pyramid. How cool =D

Smells like bullshit. You have a source, i assume?

Babsta wrote:
Is anyone else interested in pyramids here?

Yes, because they were incredible feats of engineering - and when i say incredible i don't mean "there's no way they could have done that without aliens!!1!!11!", i mean "kinda cool". There's no need to assume aliens or magic when good old human ingenuity (made possible by the back-breaking labour of a SHITLOAD of slaves) works just as well.

RiCtee wrote:
I am too.. Surprised Just couldn't make get a picture of how they actually did it. A long time ago too. But if you think, the builders might have never knew what they were doing, just putting squares on top of squares. And our sophisticated society now interpreted this as "perfect" when they were only "perfect coincidences". I think aliens build them. Shocked

Oh right. That makes sense. Aliens travel hundreds or perhaps thousands of lightyears - they're obviously generations ahead of us in technology - and when they get here they... build... pyramids... out of rock.... -_-
Sikon
Indi wrote:
Babsta wrote:
Yes they astound me. To date, with our amazing technology we haven't been able to build anything as precisely constructed as these pyramids.

What? Excuse me? The space stations and supertankers and towering skyscrapers and...?

To add to what Indi is suggesting, from an engineering perspective, a pyramid requires much less of a technological base than building a skyscraper. To build skyscraper structure so efficient as to weigh very little and have the bulk of its volume open space wouldn't have been possible in ancient times. Such requires structural members with high tensile strength as well as compressive strength, relatively sophisticated engineering, and more. In contrast, the limestone and granite rock material that the ancient Egyptians had available was overall far more limited than steel construction today.

Limestone blocks are so relatively weak against non-compressive loading that a pyramid is one of the few large structures they could create. For example, one can have a steel I-beam many feet long and only inches in diameter subject to major bending loads without it breaking, yet much more primitive construction materials (cut rocks) are incapable of such.

One can think of this intuitively by thinking of building with rocks, as that is essentially what the Egyptians were doing with limestone blocks. The structural shape one could most readily create without it toppling over or breaking would be a tapered pile, like a pyramid shape.

The pyramids are still very cool, interesting, and impressive relative to their time. However, modern technology and modern engineers can build more advanced structures with more precise construction. We just don't have Pharaohs around any more having large numbers of people devote so much to building monuments. Spending a fraction of a billion dollars as estimated here to build the equivalent of a Great Pyramid today would be proportionally easily possible when world GDP is 60,000 billion $ (equivalent, PPP), but it would only be cool rather than really practical.
Babsta
RiCtee
Yeah, perhaps the aleins built them. You guys here seem to know more about pyramids than me. I've just always be interested in such ancient things. And as for the banana not rotting in a pyramid, Indi.. I just read that somewhere and someone actually proved it saying since these structures were used to perserve the bodies of kings so they almost serve the purpose of a refrigerator. So naturally it's like putting a banana in a refrigerator.
Anyways.. I just wish we had pyramid-shaped houses these days too it'd be fun =P
Very Happy Very Happy
The Conspirator
Quote:
I think aliens build them.

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps the aleins built them.

Aliens did not build them, people did (and not slave by the way). Yes the pyramids are huge but there are allot of things built by ancient humans that we have no idea how they built them. There are building in South America that the stone, giant stones are perfect shaped to fit each other that they can survive earth quakes better than some modern building techniques, there are complexes built on high mountains.
Sokken
it's not long ago that presumably graves of pyramid builders were found. Based on the way they were barried and that they had recieved advanced medical treatment (for it's time) they were not slaves. Thier bones where on the other hand crooked from the hard labor and their average age of dead was really low.

This was a great discovery because now the egyptians can say hey look at this when they are met with the insult that aliens build the pyramids Smile
Babsta
Oh Lol.. Yeah obviously the aleins didn't build them. .I was only kidding. But it's a wonder how those people back then could make such fine structures with such precision.
Smile
Kev01234
I think that the pyramids at giza where made by aliens. How could people move blocks of stone that big? Also ive heard that they are aligned along the previous axis of the earth.
The Conspirator
Kev01234 wrote:
I think that the pyramids at giza where made by aliens. How could people move blocks of stone that big?
Also ive heard that they are aligned along the previous axis of the earth.

Hard back braking labor. People have built amazing things with primitive technology. Neolithic Britons were able to move massive stones and build stone henge, classical Greeks were able to build a massive Ivory statue of Zeus in 6 century BCE, the Mayans were able to shape rocks with such precision that they made them fit together like giant 3D jigsaw puzzles, theres a pyramid in China so big that it looks like a mountain.
Don't under estimate the power of people, particularly large groups of people.
missdixy
lol I highly doubt aliens built them. But yeah, the pyramids fascinate me too. Although the part about the banana seems a little fake to me. I wonder, if you have a source?
Sokken
I have heard the one with the banana before but I doubt the story.
I think mythbusters did some test with that once but I can't remember the result though
HoboPelican
Sokken wrote:
I have heard the one with the banana before but I doubt the story.
I think mythbusters did some test with that once but I can't remember the result though

LOL...Using the Mythbusters as a source, oh dear lord. Laughing As someone who has spent his life in testing labs, all I can say is that those guys making entertainment, not engineering/scientific studies.

Yeah, there were a lot of claims about pyramid power when i was growing up. Fruit didn't go bad, razors stayed sharp, they "charged" crystals, etc.. Of course, there is no strong evidence to back it up. I used to read all that stuff when I was young and wanted the world to be more magical than it seemed. Still willing to believe, but my criteria for evidence is a lot higher. Wink

The pyramids ARE amazing. I wonder how much of what we make today will be structurally sound after 4000 years? But you know what I REALLY find incredible? I had a friend who grew up in Cairo and could see the Great Pyramids at Giza from his home. But he never visited the site! To him, they were just old rocks! Is there a better example of the phrase Familiarity breeds contempt"?
bonestorm74
I think we have a certain arrogance in this modern age when suggesting ancient civilizations "couldn't have done it". We don't know a whole lot about these cultures or what they were capable of doing. To suggest it had to be aliens who built the pyramids is dismissive and a bit insulting.
iNs@nE
There is a whole damn famous documentary on how the Pyramids were made.
Didnt any of you ever see that damn thing?
It clearly shows you how they used hundreds and hundreds of people to drag the huge rock slabs across slopy surfaces..!!
ramadangroup
The pyramids of Giza , these great buildings are formed of 2 millions of Granite blocks , the weight of each block is about 2 tons . Each edge of the greate pyramide is a precise detection of the geographical directions ,North South East West,
One can wounder how can they rise a 2 ton block to this height
There are many theories to describe how the pyramids were built ,
But all of them are not accepted by scientists
ramadangroup
I am afraid your vision to us , Egyptians, is not fair , We do not consider Our ancient buildings such as temples, Pyramids , scluptures and etc. are just ROCKS as you said . Come to Egypt to see how we are care about them with protection and contineous maintanance . We are not foolish but some of people are used to see these structures and did not see them any more amazing , But if there is any hazard belonges to it , every one of us will hurry to do his best effort
Please be fair and you are welcomed in Egypt ,The most ancient place on the earth,
HoboPelican
ramadangroup wrote:
I am afraid your vision to us , Egyptians, is not fair , We do not consider Our ancient buildings such as temples, Pyramids , scluptures and etc. are just ROCKS as you said . ....

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong idea. I was only quoting what my friend Fawzi told me when I asked him about Giza. The point I was making was that when it is something you grow up seeing, it looses a lot of the mystery. I would imagine that, in a similar manner, many native New Yorkers never visited the Statue of Liberty. In no way was I trying to imply that Egyptians in general feel that way.
Teezgaff
Here's a great site... Watch the sun rise and set it's a lovely view..
http://www.pyramidcam.com/
ramadangroup
HoboPelican wrote:
ramadangroup wrote:
I am afraid your vision to us , Egyptians, is not fair , We do not consider Our ancient buildings such as temples, Pyramids , scluptures and etc. are just ROCKS as you said . ....

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong idea. I was only quoting what my friend Fawzi told me when I asked him about Giza. The point I was making was that when it is something you grow up seeing, it looses a lot of the mystery. I would imagine that, in a similar manner, many native New Yorkers never visited the Statue of Liberty. In no way was I trying to imply that Egyptians in general feel that way.

Thanks so much for your kind reply , your are welcomed in Egypt
we have many amazing arculogical sites other than the pyramids
Fright Knight
who will not be astound by the pyramids? In such a very early stage of of human history, such a magnificent engineering structure was made in such a limited technology to help the workers build it.
Quote:

Please use quote tags when pasting other peoples work. Added by Moderating team

Construction Theories:

Materials and workforce:

Many varied estimates have been made regarding the workforce needed to construct the Great Pyramid. Herodotus, the Greek historian in the 5th century BC, estimated that construction may have required 100,000 workers for 20 years. Recent evidence has been found that suggests the workforce was in fact paid [citation needed], which would require accounting and bureaucratic skills of a high order. Polish architect Wieslaw Kozinski believed that it took as many as 20 men to transport a 1.5-ton stone block. Based on this, he estimated the workforce to be 300,000 men on the construction site, with an additional 60,000 off-site. 19th century Egyptologist William Flinders Petrie proposed that the workforce was largely composed not of slaves but of the rural Egyptian population, working during periods when the Nile river was flooded and agricultural activity suspended. Egyptologist Miroslav Verner posited that the labor was organized into a hierarchy, consisting of two gangs of 100,000 men, divided into five zaa or phyle of 200 men each, which may have been further divided according to the skills of the workers. Some research suggests alternate estimates to the accepted workforce size. For instance, mathematician Kurt Mendelssohn calculated that the workforce may have been 50,000 men at most, while Ludwig Borchardt and Louis Croon placed the number at 36,000. According to Verner, a workforce of no more than 30,000 was needed in the Great Pyramid's construction.

A construction management study (testing) carried out by the firm Daniel, Mann, Johnson, & Mendenhall in association with Mark Lehner and other Egyptologists, estimates that the total project required an average workforce of 14,567 people and a peak workforce of 40,000. Without the use of pulleys, wheels, or iron tools, they surmise the Great Pyramid was completed from start to finish in approximately 10 years. Their critical path analysis study reveals estimates that the number of blocks used in construction was between 2-2.8 million (an average of 2.4 million), but settles on a reduced finished total of 2 million after subtracting the estimated area of the hollow spaces of the chambers and galleries. Most sources agree on this number of blocks somewhere above 2.3 million. The Egyptologists' calculations suggest the workforce could have sustained a rate of 180 blocks per hour (3 stones/minute) with ten hour work days for putting each individual block in place. They derived these estimates from construction projects that did not use modern machinery. This study fails to take into account however, especially when compared to modern third world construction projects, the logistics and craftsmanship time inherent in constructing a building of nearly unparalleled magnitude with such precision, or among other things, the use of up to 60-80 ton stones being quarried and transported a distance of over 500 miles.

In contrast, a Great Pyramid feasibility study relating to the quarrying of the stone was performed in 1978 by Technical Director Merle Booker of the Indiana Limestone Institute of America. Consisting of 33 quarries, the Institute is considered by many architects to be one of the world’s leading authorities on limestone. Using modern equipment, the study concludes:

“Utilizing the entire Indiana Limestone industry’s facilities as they now stand [for 33 quarries], and figuring on tripling present average production, it would take approximately 27 years to quarry, fabricate and ship the total requirements.”

Booker points out the time study assumes sufficient quantities of railroad cars would be available without delay or downtime during this 27 year period and does not factor in the increasing costs of completing the work.

The entire Giza Plateau is believed to have been constructed over the reign of five pharaohs in less than a hundred years. In the hundred years prior to Giza, beginning with Djoser who ruled from 2687-2667 BC, three other massive pyramids were built - the Step pyramid of Saqqara (believed to be the first Egyptian pyramid), the Bent Pyramid, and the Red Pyramid. Also during this period (between 2686 and 2498 BC) the Wadi Al-Garawi dam which used an estimated 100,000 cubic meters of rock and rubble was built.

The accepted values by Egyptologists bear out the following result: 2,400,000 stones used ÷ 20 years ÷ 365 days per year ÷ 10 work hours per day ÷ 60 minutes per hour = 0.55 stones laid per minute.

Thus no matter how many workers were used or in what configuration, 1.1 blocks on average would have to be put in place every 2 minutes, ten hours a day, 365 days a year for twenty years to complete the Great Pyramid within this time frame. This equation, however, does not take into account among other things the designing, planning, surveying, and leveling the 13 acre site the Great Pyramid sits on.
spykE
I've been there a few years ago and they astounded me as a teenager. The one thing I wasn't astounded by was the heigth, I expected it to be even more huge, but still it was astounding Smile.

Going inside the pyramid was really creepy, descending through such a small gap to meters below.
nimo
Yes. They astound me. It's amazing what people could achieve so long ago!!

I've never been to the pyramids, but I've been to other places such as the colisseum in Rome and the parthenon in Athens. But above all this, I suppose what amazes me the most is ancient mathematicians and astronomers who, somehow, managed to make unbelievable calculations with so little technology.
Shin
Yes it does. It's still a challenging task to recreate it even with the technology we have today. And imagine it was done in few thousand years ago.
studsstudio
It is amazing for they are build with a purpose, a believe. And the amount of people that had to be working on it.
Yjaxygames
Babsta you just posted some bullshit there man. I agree with Indi.
shamy
sure they astound me ... we discover a new secret every day in the pyramids and we will discover more i think .. there are other chambers they still don't know what it content ....
medievalman26
I am amazed that so many people have "theories" about aliens building the pyramids. I agree Indi if aleins did come why would they build something out of rocks. I mean come If they had space flight technology why would they even use rocks to build them? Any way you have to realize that all ancient technology is amazing they have discovered that some "modern" advances in technology were actually already inveted and lost in anciet times. The pyramids both Giza and Egyptian are astounding archetectual feats of what can be done. I really would like to go and visit both pyramids (I know that there are more than just one or two pyramids).
ninjakannon
Indi wrote:
Babsta wrote:
And do you know a banana doesn't rot if placed in a pyramid. How cool =D

Smells like bullshit. You have a source, i assume?

I would have thought the same, however when Tutankhamun's tomb was opened up there were some flowers on the floor which had not yet wilted. Or that's what I've heard. I would have expected bacteria to live down there but when you think about it - there is no water or light - bacteria need both of these to survive.

Anyway, about they Pyramids. They are amazing, works that we would find very hard to construct without the use of our modern tools. This just demonstrates how many skills we have lost, but I'm not saying this is a bad thing as we don't need these skills anymore. The pyramids were built with a massive amount of manpower, assumedly; it was likely that slaves toiled long hours to create the structures. Something that would never happen these days - which is good.

It's disappointing that they've been eroded so much and have lost their original shine, but still they are hugely impressive. I've only ever seen pictures of them but it's amazing when you compare the size of a coach next to one of them. I'd love to have a visit.
WickedGravity
The pyramids of Khufu are but one of a series of hundreds of pyramids constructed in the New and Old Kingdoms of Ancient Egypt. True, they were the most impressive in size and remained the tallest buildings on earth for a thousand plus years, but it is the scope of the project that is truly amazing.

I mean, they built, saw a flaw, redesigned, built again and so on.

Human engineering is a wonderful thing.

My sources are my knowledge for those who ask. Look up any facts you have in question and I am sure they will match up, lying on a forum is a pointless gesture.
Shake
A pyramid is a three dimensionally planar and triangular object of absolutely no value to me.

Why would any pyramid astound me?
HoboPelican
Looking into the this subject again, I came across the following at Wikipedia....

Quote:
Consequently, urban development reaches right up to the perimeter of the antiquities site, to the extent that in the 1990s, Pizza Hut and KFC restaurants opened across the road

Reminds me of reading about the Walmart that was to open next to Chichen Itza in Mexico.
poiko123
The massive size and crude techniques used results in an architectural wonder. The Great Pyramids do astound me.
sbel
The great pyramids of Giza are actually the only 7 wonder left standing. But honestly the other wonders look better. The only thing that's great besides the engineering feat. is the fact that the egyptians never really practiced slavery. so definitely during the draught people would seek jobs building it. The other thing would that the 3 pyramids are aligned in a golden section area.
arakavaz
Font colour: #583
ninjakannon
arakavaz wrote:
How did they get the math so exact?

That's a good question, yet I expect that the people in charge of working out all the maths would have been amazingly talented compared to many of us today. Have you ever seen how fast some people can do calculations with the aid of an abacus? There are those who can work out problems with an abacus faster than you could with your measly calculator. I bet the mathematicians of the time worked out everything using their heads and a counting device of some sort and they did just as well as people today with computers and calculators.
nopaniers
Yes. They do astound me. I recently visited Cairo - and they were quite amazing. We had a lot of trouble getting there and back with a taxi, but that's a whole other story Smile