FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Chinese New Year - Orthodox Christmas -- 3 Kings Day

TomGrey
Ho Ho Ho -- Happy New Year

Late.

So James007 closed the official thread, even without adding the Muslim holiday: Ramadan Eid.

AND he closed the later, less official thread of Happy New Year, on 2 Jan.

So I'm not going to mention when the Chinese New Year is, nor when the Orthodox Christians (like in Russia!) celebrate Christmas, nor why it's different than Catholics & Protestants.

But in Slovakia, 6 January is when there is an official Church holiday, and state holiday, in celebration of when the 3 kings gave presents to baby Jesus.

I like it.
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas; and have a Happy New Year, Chinese or otherwise. (I don't know about Hindus)
Serafina
Chinese goes by the lunar calendar, like a lot of the other holidays. Usually it's around January or February.

This year it's February 18th, so it's not coming for awhile. : )
Soulfire
Yeah, I know in Mexico their gift exchange doesn't occur on Christmas Day, but on Three Kings Day. Just what I thought about when I read this...
wlb
The lunar calendar new year regarding the global Chinese people said
should be in a year the most important holiday
This year is the Year of the Pig, a roast pig
Serafina
Yeah, Chinese people don't give gifts on New Year. The parents give large sums of money to the kids. And then huge amounts of food is eaten by all.

It's a big thing, kids get like 2 or 3 weeks off from school.
ralphbefree
in the chinese tradition i believe those that are born within the current year get to celebrate their birthdays on the new years and throughout the whole year. this year on feb 18 will be the beginning of the year of the pig: My birthday. and believe me i am going to celebrate all year too heheheh
tijn01
I only know that Chinese New Year is the only time that Singpore is NOT a shopping mecca! I spent three days there last Chinese New Year and the city was deserted! Everyone was at home with family! There were lots of fireworks through Malaysia though.... Happy Everyday to Every one!
drazdesigns
marry orthodox christmas
TomGrey
I'm glad the Chinese spend a lot of their time with their families. What about the Hindus? Isn't it surprising that I (we?) know so little about Hindu holiday culture?

It looks like Valentine's day will happen before the Chinese New Year.

Year of the Pig. Prolly a good choice in name -- kinda late to worry about it. When was the first 12 year cycle?
Liu
wow what an early wish for chinese new years.

i wish america celebrated it... that'd give tons more vacation time.