FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


New Virus out?





Srs2388
I thought i'd warn some users on this forum...
there is a virus for windows xp *I assume there is anyways*
everyone of my files randomly were deleted withen 5 minutes.... even files on my backup hard drive Sad
I reinstalled xp pro on the backup drive... everything was gone on the main drive...
I'm assuming this was a skilled hacker.... very skilled.
or a virus... keep a lookout for strange error messages and stuff.
Arno v. Lumig
Srs2388 wrote:
I thought i'd warn some users on this forum...
there is a virus for windows xp *I assume there is anyways*
everyone of my files randomly were deleted withen 5 minutes.... even files on my backup hard drive Sad
I reinstalled xp pro on the backup drive... everything was gone on the main drive...
I'm assuming this was a skilled hacker.... very skilled.
or a virus... keep a lookout for strange error messages and stuff.


I'm very sorry for your loss of data, but if everyone would make a topic every time they get a virus this forum would just get huge. Next time make sure your backup HD is off when you're not using it, and don't forget to install a virus scanner and a firewall. It's also a great idea to just block all internet traffic when you're not using the internet.


Goodluck,
Arno
WickedGravity
This isn't personal, keep that in mind.

When people start screaming about a new virus that does this and that, why is it that they never bother telling people if they have run a scan, if the virii was detected, what it was identified as, or perhaps even a log from the AV program?

It is the same with spyware, malware and all other sorts of bad behaving programming code. You scare people by telling what ti does, but don't bother telling them what, if any, steps you have taken to counter this infection so that they do not repeat the same steps that you have taken that did not work.

//steps off soapbox

I am sorry for your loss of data, but keep in mind what i said next time ok?
TheGeek
Go get yourself AVG Anti-Virus scanner (or NOD32 with the fix, but I do not endorse doing that) and make sure that active scanning is enabled. Ever since I started using NOD32, with the active scanning on which scans every new file entering my computer in real time, I have caught several virii before they ever got to touch anything on my computer to harm my data. The second best line of defense is also a firewall, IMO zonealarm is the best free software firewall available. Combine a good quality firewall with one of the above mentioned virus scanners and in the future you should be safe from this kind of attack.

Also, in the future, keep in mind that making a backup of all your data is the best method to prevent data lose. Combine backups with a multiple hard drive setup where your operating system is on a completely separate hard drive from your important files, movies, music, pictures, ect. Ensures that if you ever get a virus in the future that since most virii can only attack the C:\ drive by their default nature, that your other personal data remains safe, even in the event that you have to do a complete hard drive erase because of a virus attack.
johnkimb5
Its a good thing I don't have to worry about getting viruses, since I'm on a Mac. Smile
Srs2388
johnkimb5 wrote:
Its a good thing I don't have to worry about getting viruses, since I'm on a Mac. Smile


darn you Crying or Very sad

*kidding*
I'm glad I have an iPod restored all my music... The main reason I posted this was I have never seen anything like this happen with my computer I thought there was a very nasty bug going around and there weren't any definitions for it yet.
withen five minutes every single file on both hard drives was gone.
I had my other HD setup as just a backup... every music file/picture/movie....

I wasn't trying to spam or anything

I am for sure going to install os x on this thing and use it for all my stuff... *my family that uses the computer* doesn't know how to use OS and don't want to try to learn Sad
TheGeek
If you have a PC your best option is Linux Very Happy I have been using it for years and the only reason I still know about windows stuff is I am a tech support person at my college and have to deal with windows issues all the time so I have to be sort of up on the new stuff with windows...
gh0stface
johnkimb5 wrote:
Its a good thing I don't have to worry about getting viruses YET, since I'm on a Mac. Smile

I fixed your statement for you Wink

Mac's currently don't have to worry about viruses as Mac computers are used by the minority. Once and if Macs start becoming more or just as much used as Windows, I bet you'll start to see some viruses out for Macs.
Petee
gh0stface wrote:
johnkimb5 wrote:
Its a good thing I don't have to worry about getting viruses YET, since I'm on a Mac. Smile

I fixed your statement for you Wink

Mac's currently don't have to worry about viruses as Mac computers are used by the minority. Once and if Macs start becoming more or just as much used as Windows, I bet you'll start to see some viruses out for Macs.


Very true. And I'm sorry to say it, but the same goes for all us Linux lovers out there as well. People write viruses for operating systems that are most used. Currently Windows holds that title, thus it has the most viruses. If/When Mac or Linux become the most popular, they'll be getting viruses too. Sad
TheGeek
Lol, this is very true. Heck, there already are known viruses out for Mac and Linux, its is just very unlikely you will ever encounter them because they are rarely used.

However, Mac and Linux are both based on Unix, so theoretically any virus that works on one may possibly work on the other (just sorta throwing that out there). Unix based operating systems tend to be more secure than windows by nature just because of some of the security measures put in place by the creators. Such as the Sudo command in linux. By using sudo instead of being logged into the computer as the administrator all the time as you are usually in windows. It helps prevent A: the user from messing something up inadvertently as the root user and B: it may prevent malicious code from executing depending on how the rights of the user are setup.
Arno v. Lumig
@up

Yes, but the new Vista (which I hate, really, I will try not to use it as long as possible) will also make it harder to be logged in as admin permanently. I know there will be some flaws (one was already detected at the black hat conference, and microsoft fixed it).

If the permissions were the only things that made unix-based OSs safer then Vista would be just as safe, we all know that's not true...


Greetz,
Arno
ssthanapati
well i just keep my firewall runnin all d time and i didnt have a virus issue in years.
cheeta
^^

after I swicthed to KIS a year and a half back... since then no problemo for me Smile

KIS rooockss.....
Arno v. Lumig
Saying that Linux is safer because it's not used by many people is rubbish. If I would be a black hat hacker, and I would only care about causing mayhem, I wouldn't be bothered to hack the windows PC of aunt nellie... Instead I would try to hack servers, so even more people get problems. Lots of servers use Linux, so hacking Linux would really interest me more then hacking windows...
Zhao
johnkimb5 wrote:
Its a good thing I don't have to worry about getting viruses, since I'm on a Mac. Smile


Laughing When I get my own place I will get a Mac, since my father needs PC for his job. I want Mac for that exact reason... and because the interface is very beautiful...
flintstonian
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
... Instead I would try to hack servers, so even more people get problems. Lots of servers use Linux, so hacking Linux would really interest me more then hacking windows...
.

I think that's a valid point. Certainly there are more Linux servers than Windows, so why haven't we seen a serious wrecker virus for Linux yet?
myrevolt
Not that this thread should be bumped but,

I'm fairly confident that for all the millions of virii, trojans, etc. that have been created for Windows, just as many have been created for *nix OSes. Many hackers start off with Linux distros before they transition to exploiting Windows.

And yes Windows is a much bigger target, not to mention its typical user... But I degress, security holes in Ubuntu for instance I'm sure get patched far more quickly than Windows updates.

Personally I hate dealing with user permissions, I use a root console every chance I get (its annoying to type in my password every 5 minutes with #sudo; at least use #su -)

Now as far as the poster of this thread - clearly you don't understand the purpose of a backup drive: it should not be in your computer, preferably it should be stored at a friend's house (in case of robbery, fire, FBI), unplugged, in dry location where it will not fall. Plugged into your computer, it to a virus just as much as your Windows root partition.

I'm fairly assured that partitions that aren't mounted in linux probably won't be attacked by a *nix virus, but if it were "smart" enough it could detect them in the same way gparted can.

Protect the data on your hdd by securing your OS, not matter which that is.
lookatme
Is it okay to be scared? I am terrified now... !!!! What if it happens to me now? or someone else... !! I"M SCARED!!!

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
carlospro7
I was attacked by a couple virus' lately, but my virus protector stopped them before they were even able to cause any damage. I use a free virus scanner, avast, and I find better than any other virus scanner that you have to pay for.
greatfire
My mum just received an email mentioning a new virus. There is a simple trick so that when your hit by a virus, 90% of the time you can keep all your files. The big viruses are designed to knock out your C: drive. Partition your hard drive and store all your files on the D: section of it. this means that if you are hit by a bad virus all you lose is your xp installation. Relative time to recover, about 45 minutes to get XP installed + anti-virus
FiskarN
Srs2388 wrote:
I thought i'd warn some users on this forum...
there is a virus for windows xp *I assume there is anyways*
everyone of my files randomly were deleted withen 5 minutes.... even files on my backup hard drive Sad
I reinstalled xp pro on the backup drive... everything was gone on the main drive...
I'm assuming this was a skilled hacker.... very skilled.
or a virus... keep a lookout for strange error messages and stuff.


People creating new viruses every day. Just keep your updating well and you will be a little safe.
cvkien
well, i guess the most efficient antivirus is yourself. if you don't activate or run the virus, it won't run by itself. Unless someone hack into your computer and run it for you. virus style is to imitate the exactly icon of your files then it confuse you to click it. if you double click it, then you run it. but as i see i guess no virus that can delete files like that. but i had a case with my customer that the virus hide all the files into a messy folder and system cause by the virus and the virus even create a new user account then lock everything. and i never see virus that can access into backup drive.
Xeniczone
Did you get random pop ups while it was deleting them like

"Lol, your computer is being deleted as you read this."

???
Helloall
Code:
if everyone would make a topic every time they get a virus this forum would just get huge. Next time make sure your backup HD is off when you're not using it, and don't forget to install a virus scanner and a firewall. It's also a great idea to just block all internet traffic when you're not using the internet.
Arno v. Lumig
Helloall wrote:
Code:
if everyone would make a topic every time they get a virus this forum would just get huge. Next time make sure your backup HD is off when you're not using it, and don't forget to install a virus scanner and a firewall. It's also a great idea to just block all internet traffic when you're not using the internet.


Why quoting me with code tags?
GDRanimation
l
LostOverThere
Linux and Mac are much better programmed then Windows, so you'll see barely any virus'.

And don't say, "Its because Linux isn't used much".

If that statement was true, there should be around 300 000 Virus' for linux as we speak.
Srs2388
the reason why is because it uses unix which is much more stable...
but harder to use... so it being harder to use virus's for it are much harder to make.
am i correct?
orcaz
LostOverThere wrote:
If that statement was true, there should be around 300 000 Virus' for linux as we speak.

Not really sure abt whether the main reason is bcoz the code is secure. But it is true that many of the hackers would want to target Windows instead of Linux. The point is that Linux does not dominate the market share as much as Windows. What hackers want is virus which could affect many people. There would be no point creating a powerful virus that can only affect like a small number of people, that is why they target Windows instead.
qscomputing
Of course user-base is a factor, but it is actually much harder to write a virus for Linux than it is for Windows. Linux has a competent security system built in which would make it hard for a virus to do any real damage. By contrast, there is very little stopping a virus from doing whatever damage it wants in Windows, and it can spread easily as well.

Also remember that, because of the way Linux works, a binary compiled on one machine may well not run on another machine. You would need to match up the processor architecture and the version of every single library you link against - so even if you target, say, Ubuntu Feisty on ix86, you're still only going to get a small number of users. {disclaimer: this paragraph somewhat oversimplified}

So we probably will see Linux viruses eventually, but they probably won't be anything like as severe as Windows viruses.
SonLight
Previous posts have mentioned at least three reasons why Linux and other *nix machines are not attacked by viruses as much as windows, and I agree with all ot them:

1. There are fewer machines (at least as far as single-user desktop machines are concerned).

2. There is a better security model for the *nix machines. This may be becoming less true as MS tries to compete in the security arena, but so far they are reacting to obvious weaknesses, not really innovating. For example, early Windows systems had no file permission system. The NTFS file system was developed to address that. Users have always logged on with admin privileges in Windows, so now they are discouraging that.

3. The design of various *nix means that programs usually have to be recompiled to move from one system type to another. This may be seen as a weakness by the users, but it does help security.

An additional reason for not attacking *nix systems is that the users of the machines are usually more technically knowledgable. This is especially true of server machines. Surely servers are prime targets of malware, but damage to them tends to be limited because admins are generally careful about making the machines as secure as they know how.

In the future, I expect Linux to be easier to use than Windows, and there will be many novice users of Linux. At that point, it may be somewhat easier and more profitable for people to attack Linux machines.
why6487
SonLight wrote:
Previous posts have mentioned at least three reasons why Linux and other *nix machines are not attacked by viruses as much as windows, and I agree with all ot them:

1. There are fewer machines (at least as far as single-user desktop machines are concerned).

2. There is a better security model for the *nix machines. This may be becoming less true as MS tries to compete in the security arena, but so far they are reacting to obvious weaknesses, not really innovating. For example, early Windows systems had no file permission system. The NTFS file system was developed to address that. Users have always logged on with admin privileges in Windows, so now they are discouraging that.

3. The design of various *nix means that programs usually have to be recompiled to move from one system type to another. This may be seen as a weakness by the users, but it does help security.

An additional reason for not attacking *nix systems is that the users of the machines are usually more technically knowledgable. This is especially true of server machines. Surely servers are prime targets of malware, but damage to them tends to be limited because admins are generally careful about making the machines as secure as they know how.

In the future, I expect Linux to be easier to use than Windows, and there will be many novice users of Linux. At that point, it may be somewhat easier and more profitable for people to attack Linux machines.


You got a point here!

Since Microsoft is rich (notice my Macs which say "I hate Windows Exclamation "), and Windows (who cares, Linux is better!) is mostly used (usally XP), I'll say it viruses are easy to write for Windows. My option is...

Use Linux next time! Use the open source stuff!
Related topics
Protect your pc from new virus programs..
New Virus
Virus says - Pay me or else ....
SOBER,worst ever virus
Avoid automatically sending Virus from Your Mail ID
Virus Alert: BlackWorm (MyWife.d)
Virus threatens PCs running Linux or Windows OS
WORST VIRUS EVER --- CNN ANNOUNCED beware of it
w32 virus removal
New Virus: Life is Beautiful
pay attition to the new virus Backdoor.Nibu.K
What is the best antivirus progrem?
What is the best Anti virus that i can get for free??
Take caution on the internet for the next few days.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.