FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Last Days On Earth

DynamicNames
Inspired by the History Channel.

Now, we all know that life on Earth could end with many various causes such as desease, asteriods, aliens, nuclear war, etc. But, if you had to choose, which cause do you think is the most likely to happen to happen in our near future? Please do not use Global Warming, it is happening already.
RiCtee
Well I believe that the world will end on Jesus' second coming. The Rapture will happen - all the "believers" will disappear to heaven. Then there will be chaos and Satan will rule for some time. Sound really religious huh?? Surprised
xanarulz
I saw the doc. a while back on some news channel, I thought it is over rated Confused

If I can't say global warming will kill us then a nucluar war would
RisingSunn
Honestly I think that mankind is going to kill himself off. After all we are doing an EXCELLENT job of destroying the world we live in.
Don't get me wrong I am not a tree hugging enviromentalist but just look at how we consume MASSIVE amounts of finite natural resources for our ever growing need for things, everything from cars to i-pods that we end up dumping into the trash a year down the road because something better comes along.
I am a christian and I do believe in the rapture of God's children but I think that things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get any better.
I think we are sacrificing our future for our momentary happiness.
coolsmile
RiCtee wrote:
Well I believe that the world will end on Jesus' second coming. The Rapture will happen - all the "believers" will disappear to heaven. Then there will be chaos and Satan will rule for some time. Sound really religious huh?? Surprised

Actually nothing in the bible says that there is going to be a rapture. That idea was formed with the Left Behind series

In my sunday school class we went through the entire book of revelation for 3 months. It is very interesting.

I'm looking forward to it because, well I beleive in Jesus and I will get to go to hevean Pray. Unfortunately for the non-beleivers, they will get to go to hell Sad. People though think hell is where you are torchered and that might be true, but what it really is is a place without the presence of god.

What I'm looking forward to is the 1000 years without evil!!! Smile That is going to rock. It's like hevean on earth Angel

I will post more on this later

--Have a great day Smile
loryl
Is it impossible that life on Earth won't end, but life as we know it will change? After all, life on Earth has existed for millions of years, there's nothing a puny human can do that will destroy the life of every single animal, plant, and microbe. Eventually though, Earth will get swallowed up by the sun... I suppose life ends then.

By the way, Hell is great. We might not live as virtuously as those of you in heaven, but hey, it's interesting down here. There's singing, dancing, and high speed Internet. Even more importantly, we get to express our opinions in hell. No more brainwashing, woohoo!

Regards,
Mephistopheles.
THEemu
I am also a Christian and believe that God will end the world.

From a non-Christian perspective, man will kill himself off most likely, if ever. If we ever went onto a distant planet and found life (very unlikely), and we saw them viciously murdering each other, that would seem odd to us, even though humans on earth kill each other. It is a very shameful fact.
Babsta
I'm a muslim and I believe God will end the world. From the scientific angle we see that the universe will contract ( or expand.. beats me) and finally explode or whatever. But before this earth is destroyed we will see the signs of the day of judgement e.g the rising of the sun from the west (As predicted by Prophet Mohammad (s.a.w); this happened to Mars as well and the scientists say this will happen to all the planets including the Earth) and the coming of Jesus etc etc.
ralphbefree
as time changes so will we. the second coming of jesus!? what is this actually? will another miraculous birth be preformed. will a cosmically wonderous event take place where all the past dead are raised to some heavenly destination? or could it possibly be that humanity will be able to take advantage of time and change to evolve into a more concious being? since the beginning of time humanity has been evolving conciously. a large enlightenment and change happened around the time of Christ. could the second coming resemble another such change?
allthough i am not so sure that a natural phenominan will occur that will usher in such a change i do believe that a possible economic disaster could assist in the change.

what would happen if the dollar was worthless?
kjaron
The last day was yesterday. I'm sorry...
bonestorm74
Aliens. Angry, angry aliens.
surdy
What i strongly feel is that if earth were to end in near future it may very well be a result of mankind exploting the nature and disturbing the natural balance that makes evrything work fine. Its not just Global warming ..we are messening many things up that may prove lethal.
Sikon
Let's list various hypothetical existential risks to see which seem plausible or most likely:

-------- Sudden disasters ---------

Natural disasters:
  • Supervolcano: See here
  • Asteroid impact: See here
  • Gamma-ray burst: See here
Manmade disasters:
  • Doomsday war
  • Physics accident like strangelet consumption scenario
  • Grey goo scenarios and similar for the wrong kind of robots
  • Super pandemic, like a super biological weapon
Other disasters:
  • Destructive aliens
  • Something unforeseen
-------- Gradual disasters --------
  • Stagnant or declining sociopolitical order
  • Extreme environmental change or resource depletion ... which cause harm without actual human extinction unless other factors eliminate the normal ability of civilization to technologically adapt.
----------------------------------

Far-out physics accidents are not much of a concern at this time since particle accelerators are vastly lower energy than collisions at astronomical TeV energies that happen naturally from certain cosmic rays; see the earlier article. Likewise, the risk of a grey goo type scenario doesn't exist quite yet.

Today's nuclear arsenals could devastate many countries and the bulk of the world's large cities, but there are actually not enough nukes to cause extinction throughout earth's 60-million square mile land area. Total megatonnage of operational nuclear weapons today is on the order of ten thousand megatons. In comparison, the dino-killer asteroid was estimated to be on the order of a hundred million megatons, vastly more powerful. Among the sudden disaster scenarios, the highest chance right now seems to be sufficiently major supervolcanos, which could be as destructive as an asteroid impact with a little higher chance of happening.

The article linked earlier (also here) even suggests how one supervolcano event may have brought mankind to the brink of extinction long before regular historical records. Both supervolcanoes and asteroid impacts are events where intensity can vary by orders of magnitude. For example, earth is hit by relatively small asteroids relatively often, like the 1908 Tunguska event that was only a few megatons, but that is different from an extinction-level event like the bigger dino-killer asteroid of 100 million megatons.

There are also gradual disaster scenarios. An example would be a world government someday, which would be potentially very dangerous because it would be the ultimate monopoly, the ultimate possibility for continuous stagnation, like possibly having policies that might prevent future expansion into space. And if there is not expansion into space, then the likelihood of one of the other disasters wiping out mankind sooner or later becomes high over a long enough timeframe. However, the gradual disaster scenarios are mainly a risk over a long period of centuries or thousands of years, not as applicable to this discussion.

Incidentally, as much as global warming is undesirable, potential effects like sea level rise slowly flooding some coastal cities or regions currently temperate reaching tropical temperatures would not equate to actual human extinction. For example, projections of global warming by the IPCC imply a likelihood of multiple-degree rise in average temperatures, but one is not talking about so much as to make earth literally uninhabitable.

Thus, supervolcanoes stand out for the chance of a sufficiently major one causing extinction any decade, even in the near-term future, though the probability of such is still quite low.
osbits
I choose nuclear war.
The only emeny of human now is itself.
Humans are clever enough to deal with any disasters except the one inside them.
gaurav.baral1
I think earth will come to an end due to some heavenly bodies.
heavenly body might collide with our earth or its force of attraction will overcome earth's and create various unwelcome disturbances.
Talking about some god comming to destroy our planet;i don't think that will happen because if it was to happen , then earth would not be existing till now as humankinds have already done a lot to get punished by god(if that happens).
secondeye
We've all heard it's best to "live life like the world will end tomorrow." The LAST DAYS ON EARTH outlines seven distinct ways just such a thing could happen.

And this isn't science fiction; these are very real scenarios predicted by scientists and planned for by governments. In LAST DAYS ON EARTH the greatest minds of our age, including Stephen Hawking, weigh in on the ways we might meet our end. Stunning graphics and representations depict every doomsday scenario in precise, excruciating detail.

What separates us from complete annihilation? How are we inviting our own destruction? These are the life-and-death questions answered by this amazing feature-length documentary.

Here are seven things to keep you up at night, courtesy of LAST DAYS ON EARTH:

* Global incineration from a Gamma-ray burst
* The rise of the machines
* Bioterrorism
* Nuclear War
* Eruption of a super-volcano
* Earth-killing asteroid impact
* Global plague
* Global warming
SlugDragon
Think me immature, think what you will, but I fear Zombies.

Not the supernatural, 'Slither' type Zombies, but an actual, infectious, blood-borne disease.

The idea haunts me due to the fact that any non-infected human would stand no freaking chance.

The worst part of the realistic Zombie concept, which is best developed by the film '28 Days Later', is that the suddenness ands severity of the takeover is stunning, breathtaking, and even with just one infected person at first, it's nearly ridiculous to believe that there would be survivors.

However, I believe that life after the big boom of the Zombie Era will be similar to nomadic, hunting days, with bands of Z-Hunters traveling the landscape, hunting Zombies for sport, entertainment, and possibly, after a short, possibly lethal experimentation, food (after the thorough and complete cooking of the zombie meat. After all, as a blood-borne disease, it's highly possible for it to be the Solanum [the "technical" term for the disease causing Zombie-like conditions] to be cooked out of the meat). Of course, this is not a necessity, since as soon as the food stocks in stores, including canned substances & the like, are depleted, wildlife & natural foods will be somewhat abundant.

Hopefully, this may revert some people to looting the non-fiction sections of libraries, finding ways to survive in their new environment.

If anyone wishes to point out the absurdities or possibilities of the Zombie invasion, personal message me or start a forum (but message me so I know it's up, and where), because I would love to discuss anything related to the possible Zombie takeover.
greatfire
I can not see all life on earth ending, us maybe. But the tough little critters like insects which have remain unchanged for millions and millions of years. Humans, in my opinion, will be all gone with 250 years. Will there be life after us with equal of greater intelligence, maybe.
Teezgaff
For the religious... There is no Heaven or Hell.
When we die whatever religion you are or whatever you have done we all go to the same place...... I don't know where but there is no special treatment for ANYBODY I can bet that...

The world will end by scientists playing with exotic molecules and matter.

They will create a mini blackhole which they can't control and WHHHOOOOOSH.... ALL Gone.. Twisted Evil
benjmd
Teezgaff wrote:
For the religious... There is no Heaven or Hell.
When we die whatever religion you are or whatever you have done we all go to the same place...... I don't know where but there is no special treatment for ANYBODY I can bet that...

The world will end by scientists playing with exotic molecules and matter.

They will create a mini blackhole which they can't control and WHHHOOOOOSH.... ALL Gone.. Twisted Evil

Teezgaff, in regards to your end-of-world scenario -- very cool Smile

In regards to your first statement... well that's just a tough thing to say. But perhaps you are wiser than all the minds that have ever existed on earth and are able to develop a sound philosophical proof to support yourself. I'm gonna place a bet against you. Sorry bud!
benjmd
The original thread starter asked about how all life on earth would end, not just people, so I'm throwing nuclear war out the window. In fact, I imagine even a cosmic collision is unlike to permanently stop all life on Earth. Life on Earth is resilient and diverse and will find a way to take hold regardless of Earth's condition... unless there ceases to be an earth or a place where complex molecules can be stable... which would result from changes in our Sun. The Sun is forecast to become a red giant in about 5 million years, at which time decreased gravity will force the Earth to a wider orbit but at the same time the early changes in luminosity and energy will basically fry Earth and probably screw up just about any life on Earth. If life doesn't end then, it will end when the sun burns out or goes nova.

There is always the possibility that we'd blow up the whole planet, but I think we're not quite stupid enough to do that. I hope.
chasbeen
I think that we will go with a wimper not a bang. According to statistics the Male is becoming sterile. I was born in the mid-fifties and apparantly i'm statistically likely to have twice as much "seed" compared to a male born in the mid 80's.

If this halving continues every 30 years when will it begin to affect the number of births?

Why is it happenning? The plastic we sell food in apparantly.

Oh I took this to mean the end of mankind not all the other species. Sorry you younger guys.
SlugDragon
[quote="chasbeen"]I think that we will go with a wimper not a bang.quote]

Please, oh please tell me you purposely quoted this and didn't try to pass if off as your own thing. Too many times I hear a common (though less-known) phrase only to find that the person in question wished to pass it off as they made it up.

On a (somewhat) related note, I highly suggest that anyone interested in post-apocalyptical scenarios purchase 'Bangs & Whimpers', an anthology of stories regarding the end of the world in many, many different scenarios.
chasbeen
No, I thought i'd heard it before and thought it was rather funny. Rather like Malaprop who always used to regurgitate things but these were always slightly wrong and/or slightly out of context. Embarassed
Bikerman
benjmd wrote:
The original thread starter asked about how all life on earth would end, not just people, so I'm throwing nuclear war out the window. In fact, I imagine even a cosmic collision is unlike to permanently stop all life on Earth. Life on Earth is resilient and diverse and will find a way to take hold regardless of Earth's condition... unless there ceases to be an earth or a place where complex molecules can be stable... which would result from changes in our Sun. The Sun is forecast to become a red giant in about 5 million years, at which time decreased gravity will force the Earth to a wider orbit but at the same time the early changes in luminosity and energy will basically fry Earth and probably screw up just about any life on Earth. If life doesn't end then, it will end when the sun burns out or goes nova.

Not 5 million years - more like 5 billion....
JBotAlan
From a Christian standpoint--cool! I can't wait!

But from a non-Christian standpoint: one big nuclear WHOP! Dust and radioactivity contaminate the atmosphere, and we all die. The end.

If we can't learn to live together, we are going to end it ourselves.
defnet
RisingSunn wrote:
Honestly I think that mankind is going to kill himself off. After all we are doing an EXCELLENT job of destroying the world we live in.
Don't get me wrong I am not a tree hugging enviromentalist but just look at how we consume MASSIVE amounts of finite natural resources for our ever growing need for things, everything from cars to i-pods that we end up dumping into the trash a year down the road because something better comes along.
I am a christian and I do believe in the rapture of God's children but I think that things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get any better.
I think we are sacrificing our future for our momentary happiness.

Ha your right we are doing a EXCELLENT job.

I just stopped throwing junk on the streets and wasting stuff so I try to do my part.

I don't know how it all will end but by that time scientist have probably figured out how to make the animated movie TITAN reality. Razz Thats what they do all the time...make sci-fi REAL.

Nawh, seriously were ruining the planet but I cant even dream about the ending. I just dont have a clue.

MAYBE ITS GONNA END WITH WORLD WAR THREE
The last nuclear blastoff...
Ennex
I don't think we can be too sure, i think Asteroid is likely but we can see them coming and theres a 50/50 chance of us stopping it, so we either do or we dont stop it.

Nuclear war seems plausable considering the amount of tension that still resides on this messed up planet.

The sun expanding/exploding seems also plausable but by that time we'll probably have the ability to leave the planet and go somewhere else but i dare say im not sure if we can stop it...

And lol i really don't think the possible thread of intergalactic invaders taking over or blowing up the planet is likely but anything is possible XD just depends how much of an imagination you have lol.

Ennex
Ennex
Unfortunately im going to have to refute my own statement as the person who posted it is not the same person as me

Quote:
i think Asteroid is likely but we can see them coming and theres a 50/50 chance of us stopping it, so we either do or we dont stop it.

this is incorrect even an extra terestrial object large enough to destroy earth, the chances that we would spot it before within 2 hours of impact is highly unlikely

unless the object crosses the field of vision of a commonly monitored object such as the moon, the chances of it being discovered are close to zero,

just think a dark object such as a meteorite against the black background of space, would be near impossible to see.

as for the end of the world,
i like the thought of a new form of uncontrollable, destructive, chemical reaction
although i doubt it will happen in the near future

i think a massive seismic activity could wipe out human life on earth,
but i dunno about the rest of it

i guess we'll have to wait and find out Razz
Insanity
Global warming probably won't kill us directly, but it sure would make life much more difficult and reduce the amount of habitable land. Maybe in the far far future when sea levels have risen so much that we'll all drown or something when our land gets flooded.

I don't think there can be just one natural disaster that will wipe out mankind in its entirety. No, it would have to be something man-made, like nuclear war.
Bikerman
Insanity wrote:
Global warming probably won't kill us directly, but it sure would make life much more difficult and reduce the amount of habitable land. Maybe in the far far future when sea levels have risen so much that we'll all drown or something when our land gets flooded.

I don't think there can be just one natural disaster that will wipe out mankind in its entirety. No, it would have to be something man-made, like nuclear war.
Any sufficiently large asteroid or comet impact would do the job quite thoroughly, trust me.
newolder

The remnants after the 1870 & 1889 outbursts of eta Carinae (150 +/- 50 solar masses at 8000 +/- 500 light years range) appear as two lobes of nickel weighing-in at 20 or so solar masses.

When the remaining 80 solar mass object (contained within the central pixel of the image) goes hyper-nova (with the ability to fuse nuclei of gold) that's it for the Earth its moon and, most likely, Sol.

Enjoy the remaining time. ed.
MeddlingMonk
Ok, from a Christian perspective, the events described in Revelation will occur (second coming of Christ, seven year tribulation, Armageddon, etc.).

From a non-Christian perspective, I'd say mankind will probably annihilate himself, either through mis-management of Earth's resources (leading to famine, drought, contamination of land and water, etc.) or conflict (such as nuclear war triggered by escalating tension between the major powers).
arranf
I'm guessing that ourselves would be the most likely cause.
Direct or in-direct. We are constantly discovering new things, soon were going to stop checking what we're looking at and see it as a major discovery and then something happens. Either that or someone makes World War 3. I can't imagine how bad it would get now. The thing is, I just scared myself, and I actually think it's true.
SlitherX
Im guessing its Nuclear war that will be the cause of us all. The way things are shaping out in the mid east will probably only grow larger, and things dont look good.
EanofAthenasPrime
loryl wrote:
Is it impossible that life on Earth won't end, but life as we know it will change? After all, life on Earth has existed for millions of years, there's nothing a puny human can do that will destroy the life of every single animal, plant, and microbe. Eventually though, Earth will get swallowed up by the sun... I suppose life ends then.

By the way, Hell is great. We might not live as virtuously as those of you in heaven, but hey, it's interesting down here. There's singing, dancing, and high speed Internet. Even more importantly, we get to express our opinions in hell. No more brainwashing, woohoo!

Regards,
Mephistopheles.

I do hope you are being sarcastic.
filet
the planets are not moving in its orbit....and crashed into each other!!!!!
imagine from earth we see one huge planet moving towards us...scary huh!!!
is there any movie based on this Shocked ???
elite747
loryl wrote:

Regards,
Mephistopheles.

Humans can easily leave earth by the time the sun gets that big, and a "puny" human can most definitely do something to destroy at least most life on earth. We did, in the past 100 years, manage to destroy an entire city and more, and create radioactive waste never seen anywhere else in our solar system except the sun, with two atoms.

Now what do you have to say about "puny" humans...?
iJonno
I remember when I went on a year 8 excursion, we went to the observatory to study planets and the 'Solar System'. We were watching a video on the projector and according to scientist, something will happen with the sun, it will suck in all the planets in the Milky Way and become something called a 'White Star'. [What I mean is the sun will suck in all the planets, and the sun will shrink down to the size of a small start]. I think that information is correct but I will look into and see if it is.

Jonno'
kcrim
I just think that there are so many different possibilities its hard to say... Weather it be from a technological disaster gone wrong, or dieseases that we cant cure.. Be it an asteroid.. it may not kill us all but it will certinly make things more difficult. Mabe even the black hole that is in the center of our galixy will swallow something huge and it keeps growing and growing.. Most importantly i think that it is necessary for us to put our minds and resources together to conquer and overcome the obsticals nature presents to us, and avoid killing ourselfs in the process.
tbsmicro
I agree with a few that a nuclear war will end our time on earth. I think the Global Warming thing is bad but won't kill everyone off just yet. I think as smaller countries become nuclear capable, it will only take one maniac to trigger some catestrophic event that would cause world war 3. either that or the terminator scenario, wher computers take over the world, killing us all. That would be a cool way to go out. I'd stab my ipod to death just before my life was extinguished !!!

Whats everyone elses opinion of the terminator theory ?