FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sharing an already shared internet connection.

toughtrio
Cable providers in Pakistan get a dedicated Internet Line themselves, and share it in and around their buildings, fulfilling everyones need and having something for their income. Well, it is the case everywhere in the world, but in here the costs are too low and so is the bandwidth when everyone is using the internet, and its becoming very common.

Due to so much competition, I told my cable operator that I would only pay him if he would allow me to have 2 pcs on the single line coming to my house. The permission was nonetheless granted, but I have no idea how to perform this operation. 2 pcs, no hub and cant buy one, can buy 2 more NICs, have a single line connected to one of the PCS. What I need to do is to share the LAN connection on one PC, to the another without using a hub or a switch.

The gateway technique would not be preferred but details on it would be appreciated cuz I dont know anything about it. One idea could also be the share the internet on both PCs by getting two Wi-Fi USB Bluetooth Dongles, and hooking them up on both PCS. All hassels gone.

I actually have the basic idea of what to do, but need the procedures to be performed inside the windows networking components on both PCS.

Step by step guidelines would be extremely appreciated. Please ask if any more information is required.

Warm Regards,
Abdul Basit
LukeakaDanish
Let me start by saying that it can't be done without a router or switch, using a traditional network.

Therefore: setup a wireless network - and remember to encrypt it or risk people stealing your bandwidth.

How: I have never done it myself but i expect it will be very easy (something like plugging in the network cards and turning on the pc's - letting XP do the rest!
ChrisP1984
If you only want to do this with the 2 PCs, you should be able to do it by;

1) putting standard wired Ethernet NICs in each computer
2) sharing the internet connection in windows
3) plugging everything in and telling the PC without the connection to connect through a LAN

I've had this set up working before. Although you will possibly need to give both machines static IP addresses. (making sure the PC with the internet connection has an address ending .1)
AutoTechGuy
Yes it can be done.. one computer having two NICs and the other having one... then the one with 2 cards you can enable internet connection sharing and route the 2nd computer through the first...

It's not as complicated as it sounds... however the second computer will not be able to access the internet unless the first is powered on.
Bones
LukeakaDanish wrote:
Let me start by saying that it can't be done without a router or switch, using a traditional network.

Therefore: setup a wireless network - and remember to encrypt it or risk people stealing your bandwidth.

How: I have never done it myself but i expect it will be very easy (something like plugging in the network cards and turning on the pc's - letting XP do the rest!

Sure it can be done. Ever since Windows 98SE, Microsoft has included Internet Connection Sharing in Windows.

Learn more about it here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Basically you need a Host PC which will contain 1 network card for each computer to be connected to the network + 1 more network card to make the physical connection to the internet.

The only downside that I can see is that the host computer must be turned on for the other pc's to be able to connect to the internet.
LukeakaDanish
Bones wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Sure it can be done. Ever since Windows 98SE, Microsoft has included Internet Connection Sharing in Windows.

Learn more about it here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Basically you need a Host PC which will contain 1 network card for each computer to be connected to the network + 1 more network card to make the physical connection to the internet.

The only downside that I can see is that the host computer must be turned on for the other pc's to be able to connect to the internet.

Ah...I didn't think about that - however - if that works, shouldn't using a router work as well? Multiple layers of routers/switches usually works fine at LAN parties and the likes...
toughtrio
One PC being kept on would be fine, the only problem is that I have no clue whatsoever on how to share the already shared internet line that I am getting from my Cable Provider.

Sharing the dial up connection is easy, but for this it seems that I need to act as the server having the connection, and then share it further.

WILD IDEAS, BUT NO CLUE HOW TO GET THEM INTO PLAY.
Ofcourse I can, with the help of my fellow FriHosters.

Warm Regards,
LukeakaDanish
Are you absolutely sure that a simple router wont do it?
mathiaus
Setting up ICS on Windows XP (I presume) can be found on the below link.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp

If you are connecting the computers to each other directly, you'll need a crossover cable (rather than straight-through).
Bones
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Sure it would, but he also said in the original post that he wanted to be able to do this without one (or at least I assume he meant router when he said switch)
LukeakaDanish
Bones wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:

Sure it would, but he also said in the original post that he wanted to be able to do this without one (or at least I assume he meant router when he said switch)

He wrote:

Quote:
no hub and cant buy one

So my question is, why isn't it possible for you to buy a simple 3 or 4 slot router? (shouldn't cost more than 30-40$, afaik)
Jaan
dns everyone around your neighbourhood. lmao!!!
toughtrio
The problem is that I dun wanna buy a router, switch or ny other device that allows to distribute a network line. I have 2 Wi-Fi enabled Bluetooth dongles, and wanna do everything with that.

The question that needs answering is, is the procedure with 2 bluetooth dongles acting as wireless NICs similar to a connection with normal ICS using a gateway to connect 2 LANs?

Seems to be a bit confusing, cuz even I dun know what I have written Wink
Warm Regards,
toughtrio
Seems that no one knows how to perform this task. With a wireless USB dongle, I needed the instructions on how to do it. ICS is not what I am wanting, I need a PC on a network to act as a server for another PC as the Internet Provider.

No idea who can solve this.

Warm Regards,