FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The connection was reset

datter
I've been updating my site ( http://www.datter.com ) this evening, and as usual I'm getting a ton of the following on accessing my page;

Quote:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I must have got that (intermittently) 8 or 9 times this evening.

I've seen this before on other servers and it almost always had to do with the database server being hit with too many connections from all the shared accounts. Not constantly mind you, but if all the various pages on the host that shared my db server were busy at once the db server got too many connections and some people would get an error like the one above.

I suspect something similar is going on here, and I wonder if there is anything that can be done about it. I think Frihost provides a great service but if the db server can't handle enough requests to keep the hosted pages working reliably, that's problematic.

Hope this was taken constructively as it was intended... and I do hope for some sort of response one way or the other.

Thanks,
datter

EDIT : I've searched around for an answer to this, or any info... but didn't find anything. I DID come across this thread of course, which says;

Quote:
Added following: There appears to be a problem with the Server 2 database server at the moment - this may cause problems with forums / blogs / other software that relies on the MySQL databases. Please be patient and we'll let you know when we have more information.

EDIT: The issue seems to have fixed itself (or been fixed by offline admins)

... though it does not appear to have fixed itself, if they're talking about the same issue.
datter
So, no comment on this? No one else with this problem?
Mosquito.Tyler
I'm actually having this problem right now. my site hasn't loaded in the last 10 mins. I'm a little peeved.
Animal
datter wrote:
EDIT : I've searched around for an answer to this, or any info... but didn't find anything. I DID come across this thread of course, which says;

Quote:
Added following: There appears to be a problem with the Server 2 database server at the moment - this may cause problems with forums / blogs / other software that relies on the MySQL databases. Please be patient and we'll let you know when we have more information.

EDIT: The issue seems to have fixed itself (or been fixed by offline admins)

... though it does not appear to have fixed itself, if they're talking about the same issue.

This is not the problem you're experiencing. This issue was caused when the temp directory had filled up - it's been cleaned out and the errors associated with this have been resolved. As far as I can tell, there's not currently a problem with the server.
datter
The problem still exists for me, it's been happening on and off all night as it always does. I still think it's a problem with there being too many connections to the database at intermittent periods.

I really wish I could get some official comment on this regarding what the problem might actually be... but thanks for not locking it at least. Smile

datter
Marston
It's kind of funny that there hasn't been an announcement created about this; alot of people complain about this problem.
outofnicks
I'm having the same problem, and everything is just slow in general with my frih.com site. It's taking 40 minutes to upload a 3 mb PDF file by FTP, sure I'm on dialup but normally that wouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
I guess you get what you pay for, so I shouldn't complain too much!