FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP Problem

Ratmaster
Hi,
I just got an account and I tried to access my ftp; I did 3 different links:
ftp.twistedrpg.frih.net
www.twistedrpg.frih.net
twistedrpg.frih.net

I got logged in but everytime I log in it spends 15-60 seconds searching and it keeps saying that the operation times out, even when I pushed save password.
Animal
Are you using active mode in your ftp settings? Passive mode does not work.
Ratmaster
How do you check them?
Animal
That depends on what ftp client you're using. You will normally be able to change the options within the settings menu. Try FILE or EDIT and look for PREFERENCES.
Ratmaster
OK, I got it.
Thanks.

Is smartFTP good to use with it?
Animal
Any ftp client should work without a problem. Personally I use FireFTP since it's a Firefox extension. I also use Filezilla on occasion, but there are thousands of other ftp programs that will work that I've never personally used. If you have problems with one, try another - the features should all be pretty much the same though.
sbjafri
CuteFtp works the best for me try that
Sergiy
Filezilla is the best for frih.net servers
sbjafri
oh is it? ill have 2 download it then

thanks for the tip
TDesign
i download and install them but TIME OUT is once problem
lusian
I am having a similar problem. At first I was using ipswitch but couldn't find the settings for the passive and active mode so I decided to download FileZilla as mention here. I unchecked passive mode on it and it still gives me an error.

It logs in fine but when it's supposed to list the directory it can't.

Here's the error:
Command: LIST
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

Am I doing something wrong?
Sergiy
lusian wrote:
I am having a similar problem. At first I was using ipswitch but couldn't find the settings for the passive and active mode so I decided to download FileZilla as mention here. I unchecked passive mode on it and it still gives me an error.

It logs in fine but when it's supposed to list the directory it can't.

Here's the error:
Command: LIST
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

Am I doing something wrong?

I have the same problem and I can't now uploading my scripts to my hosting account. I try with web ftps and don't working. Please for help.
suntzu3500
I use SmartFTP... In the middle of uploading files I get this message:

500 ST not understood
Transfer failed.

I get this every single time i try to upload more than one file at a time. I'm not in passive mode.
Animal
suntzu3500 wrote:

500 ST not understood
Transfer failed.

I get this every single time i try to upload more than one file at a time. I'm not in passive mode.

Have you tried using FileZilla instead? It may be a compatibility problem - let us know if you experience the same issues.
suntzu3500
Animal wrote:
suntzu3500 wrote:

500 ST not understood
Transfer failed.

Have you tried using FileZilla instead? It may be a compatibility problem - let us know if you experience the same issues.

FireFTP gives me the error when I try to upload anything:

500 OR not understood
500 Illegal PORT command

EDIT: FireZilla appears to work, athough it's having transfer errors with the occasional file, the same 500 illegal port command error.
Sergiy
FTP on Frihost are having a hard problem.
chaquer2001
Hey man try Fizela is so easy to use, and i think it is the best one!
suntzu3500
From my testing over the past couple days, Firezilla is temperamental but it works.
okullar
I think this thread should be sticky also. I used many hostings but this is teh first time I heard about "passive mode".
Animal
okullar wrote:
I think this thread should be sticky also. I used many hostings but this is teh first time I heard about "passive mode".

There already is a sticky called FTP problems --> Use Filezilla and/or active mode.