You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ragnarok Games Guide: Wizards/Mages

Like My Guide?
Hell Yeah!
 0%  [ 0 ]
Umm.. Maybe..
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

[center]The Mage & Wizard Guide
-By Falcon Arrow[/center]
Hi there guys. I am very happy to present to you this great guide/faq on Wizards and Mages. I have a lot of experience in Mages/Wizzies. So i made this guide to help you guys out. I referred other guides too, so that all the missing links in other guides. Well, I have been in love with the Mage/Wizard characters since i have started playing this game. I am extremely thankful to Gravity corp for making this game. The main reason I am making this post is that i want to show everyone that the mage is not the toughest character to level up in ragnarok online. Actually i find it very simple and effective to hunt with a wiz or a mage. Hope you enjoy this guide. /no1

Contents Of the Guide:

• Starting Off with a Mage
  • In The Rune-Midgard as a Novice
  • The Mage Test
  • Level-Wise Hunting Guide
  • The Wizard Test
  • The Wizard Leveling Spots
  • The Wizard Builds
[center]Starting Off with a Mage[/center]
There are two stats that directly effect a mage or wizards capabilities: Int and Dex. In addition to this, many wizards will acquire one of the defensive stats: Vit or Agi. By far the most common wizard build is to bring your int to 99, followed by dex to 99. I think at least 95% of wizards are following that route. This requires you to not put points anywhere else (not a single point). It also requires you to have started with 9 points in Int and Dex ea. However, there are other considerations to your stats. Below I describe what each stat does.

The primary mage/wizard stat... int is all powerful. There is nothing a mage/wizard does that s/he does not do better with more int. Generally speaking, until your mage's int is at least 70, DO NOT PUT SKILL POINTS ANYWHERE ELSE! Even if you intend to "hybrid" your mage... get his int up to 70 before getting started on the second stat... believe me on this okay? Int adds to your total sp, your sp regen rate (the regular regen, not the skill), and the damage your spells do. Every level, both maximum and minimum MATK go up by 1. In addition, every 5, your max goes up by a large amount, and every 7, your min goes up by a large amount (usually around 20-30).

This decreases your casting time. Although that sounds wonderful, it isn't necessary until you have alot of high-casttime spells (as a wizard). To give you a rough idea, at dex:40 your spells will take around 1/4 less time to cast. At dex:75 they'll take around 1/2 the time to cast. At 100, they should take 1/3rd or so. With full dex equipment and a blessing, a 99int, 99dex wizard should have a dex of 130. That will allow him to cast spells at 8% of the time it normally takes with a suffragium. (good for MVPing or WoE)

This stat is used in combination with level to determine a chance of dodging a monster's attacks. In combination with the quagmire wizard spell, this can be very effective in PvM (player vs monsters). The reason this stat has lost favor recently is that it is almost completely useless for PvP (such as the high - level game of WoE). The other problem with Agi is that it is not useful unless you get large amounts of it. The only real builds involving agi require at least 70 points, which takes many points away from the cast time-reducing dex or the damage-increasing int. This contrasts sharply with vit.

Recently, this has become a favorite third stat for wizards intending to MVP heavily or participate in WoE to a great extent. The reasoning for this has to do with both the increased hitpoints (+1% per point), and even moreso with the increased resistance to status effects. Most boss monsters now use many skills that cause blind, stun or other ailments to effect large areas around them. In addition, every little bit of resistance to Lex Divina (Silence) helps in WoE. The other nice thing about vit is that 40 points is helpful, unlike agi which requires at least 60 before making a noticeable difference. Usually people will sacrifice 10 points (or so) of int to get the 30 or so vit they want.

[center]In The Rune-Midgard as a Novice[/center]
Okay, frankly... being a mage novice sucks... really, really badly. Starting stats should be pretty obvious, 9 int, give yourself some dex, other than that, it only helps you while you're a novice. As you're getting your levels, only put points into int... it starts here. The first few levels fly by (as they always do). But when you're stuck at 10/8 or so, and everything you can kill gives you < .5% job xp... the world sucks. Your options are, get a higher level character to tank you, anything around level 40 can tank you on Creamy's, and they give 12% job per kill. You can just slog it out yourself, in which case you'll want to upgrade a main-gouche to +7 and use that as your weapon, as well as buying a guard and sandals. If you have a wealthier character, provide your mage-to-be with a Blade +7 and a few dex cards, and see if you can't buy a tank with your other character. Sometimes a higher level swordie/knight or theif/assasin will be willing to tank you on either hode or creamies...

[center]The Mage Test[/center]
To actually become a mage, you need to get to Geffen and walk into the Mage's guild (NW Corner). If you are saved in either Morroc, Prontera, or Payon, it might make this part alot easier. You need to talk to the person in the back of the room to become a mage... and she will give you a quest. You can talk to the bookshelf at the north end of the room and learn all the requirements. You will be asked to provide one of
four formulae:
1) 2 Jellopy, 3 Fluff, 1 Milk, 1 Payon Solution (Code:8472, Yellow Gemstone)
2) 3 Jellopy, 1 Fluff, 1 Milk, No Solution Needed (Code:3735, Red Gemstone)
3) 6 Jellopy, 1 Fluff, 1 Payon Solution (Code:2750, Blue Gemstone)
4) 2 Jellopy, 3 Fluff, 1 Morroc Solution (Code:5429, 1c Diamond)

Mage Academy Entrance:[left][/left][right]Mages GuildMaster[/right][right][/right]
[left]Cook-Book Library[/left][left][/left][right]Potion Mixing Machine[/right][right][/right]
Often there are merchants in the room selling the necessary solutions. If not, you're in for a long walk. I would recommend walking into geffen with 6 Jellopy, 3 fluff, and a milk in the first place, ideally with your save point being in Payon or Prontera.

To Get the Morroc Solution, Enter Morroc, go to the North-West corner of Morroc and through the warp. Now walk to the center of this map and you should find an NPC named some variation on "Pocahontas." She will give you the Morroc solution.

To Get the payon Solution, Enter Payon, then go to the archer villiage, the north east exit out of Payon. Once in archer villiage, head for the eastern path. The NPC should be on the side of the path a bit farther than halfway up. There are two small lakes in Payon, the NPC is just to the north of the
southern lake.

When you have all the ingredients (except the gemstone), talk to the mixing machine in the center of the room in Geffen.First it will ask you which Solution you have brought, if you're mixing #2, just select "Skip Menu". Then it asks you to enter the type and quantity of each ingredient. When you're finished, select "Refer to Item List again". Initiate the mix, and keep going until it asks you for the serial number and which catalyst stone to use. Although you don't need to bring the gemstone, you DO need to remember which one to use. The machine will give you an unknown potion, which you will bring back to the original NPC who gave you the quest, and you will become a mage. IMPORTANT: You must use the machine relatively quickly... no more than about 10 seconds between each entry. If you do not move fast enough, the box will just close and you won't become a mage... and you'll have to get more solution/jellopy/fluff/milk.

Congratulations! You are now a mage!Note: If you are playing on a private server (LIKE ANCIENTRO Wink ) that has a job changer also, then you need not go through all this crap..

Your first few levels are real simple... whacking a few porings will give you a job level... use your first 3-4 job levels to get a bolt, and remember to buy a wand before you get too far away from Geffen. Don't think that it's too early to plan out your mage. So if you haven't decided, and you are standing in Geffen after becoming a mage... logoff, read through this and other FAQs, and decide your path.

[center]Level-Wise Hunting Guide[/center]

Level 15 - Level 20
+4 Main Gauche
Muffler(If you can afford it)
Run towards prt_fild08 and keep it hunting for a complete day making your mage reach about lvl 20-25 and earn as much zeny as possible as you would require to buy better equipment as we move on..

Level 25 - Level 40
+5 Damascus
Hat/Apple of Archer(If you can afford)
Now after you reach about 25, go to the prontera chivalry which is located in North-West prontera and speak to the guardian. Once you volunteer, you will be transported to the famous Prontera Culverts/Sewers where you have to stick till lvl 40. Earn a LOT of zeny in here..

Level 40 - Level 55
+5 Damascus
Hat/Apple of Archer
Here you will not be depending on your equipments much as you can now start using the Fire & Cold Bolt skills here.. Also i must mention here... There are many annoying familiars there which disturb your casting in between.. So you should kill it with your damascus.. Once your mage becomes LVL 55, I suppose that till now you might have collected upto 2-3 million.. I generally do.. If you have that much cash, go to your server's main city and buy a Phen Clip from a merchant.. If you dont have the right amount of cash, then forget it.. You can buy it later when you have enough cash..

Level 55 - Level 65
Same as above
Head towards the payon dungeon or Orcs Dungeon.. Whichever you prefer.. Stay there with your priest healing you constantly.. You'll reach LVL 65 in no time! Now that your levels are 65/50 you can change your job to a wizard..

[center]The Wizard Test[/center]
I find the wizard test rather easy at this point, but that may just be because I play wizards/mages so much that it feels easy. The test is located in the top level of geffen tower. If you didn't go to job 50, you need to collect 10 blue, 10 red and 10 yellow gemstones first. Sometimes you need to collect 5 green lives, red bloods, crystal blues and winds of verdure. The second part is the quiz... there are three versions. I'm not answering any questions that I feel you should know or are elsewhere in this guide. But some of them don't make much sense.

[left]Wizard's Guild Entrance[/left][left][/left]
[right]Speak to the Guild Master[/right][right][/right]
[left]Practical Test NPC[/left][left][/left]
[right]Final Test Entrance[/right][right][/right]

Version 1:
Which spell is not a bolt type? Earth
Which is not a wizards specialty? Making alot of money (but we can Smile
Which card is not related to int? Soldier Andre
How many int bonuses at job 40? 5
What equipment a wizard cannot equip? Cap

Version 2:
Which spell is not required to learn firewall? Napalm Beat 4
What is Napalm Beat's damage multiplier? 9 is 1.6x, 10 is 1.7x
Which gem is needed for stone curse? Red
Which spell is required before getting safety wall? Napalm Beat4
How much SP does level 7 sp regen give you? 21
Damage reduction from energy coat? 18% reduction, 2%sp
Safety Wall Level 7? SP:40, Hits:7
SP for LoV 10? 74
Most effective bolt for Byalan? hint: it's almost all water critters

Version 3:
What drops slotted guard? Ant Egg
Easiest for a mage to handle? Flora
What monster is immune to stone curse? Evil Druid
What is the % damage added if you use wind on level 3 water? 200%
Which will win BDF vs Familiar? BDW (I think)
Which is not a pet? Roda Frog
Which is weak to fire? Mace Goblin
Highest MDEF? Carmel
Different Kind of Monster? Ghostring, NOT SPORE!
Which is not undead? Not sure... Drake and Megalodons are Undead though

If you fail, you might get these:
Monster with different attribute? Cornutus
Which doesn't loot? Zerom
Which doesn't recognize casting? Marina
Effective against Marine Sphere? Hint... it's in Byalon

The third section is a combat area... three rooms... all of which are a bit tricky. I'll list the aggros (with *s) and cast detectors here:

Water Room: Obeaune*, Cornutus, Phen, Shellfish, Vadon This room isn't hard to beat, but once you kill all the monsters, you have to beat the "gatekeeper". The problem is that this is a marine sphere that likes to self destruct. If it succeeds in suicide, you fail the test. Kill 1 hydra first, then kill the marine sphere. You'll need a decent level LB here (or soul strike). It has 3518hp, and is strong to fire/water.

Earth Room: Mantis*, Orc Warrior*, Bigfoot, Caramel, Giearth,Savage,Vitata This room is trivial if you have firewall. Otherwise FD+LB should work. Like the Water room, this room has a gatekeeper, but I think this one's pretty trivial. Fire Room: Desert Wolf*, Zerom*, Goblin*, Scorpion*, ElderWillow*, FrillDora This room is a bit hard simply because of the huge number of aggressives. There's a neat trick you can use here though even if you don't have a high level frost diver. None of the first set of creatures inthe room is a powerful enough fire creature to break a firewall... so a firewall will stop them, it just won't do the kind of damage it was doing in the earth room. The Gatekeeper horongs, on the other hand, will require something else, since they walk right through firewall.

FAILURE: If you fail the test, you will be teleported (and saved) standing outside of geffen tower. You can go back in and retake the quiz and combat sections of the test. If you fail 5-6 times, pay careful attention to what the NPC is telling you... he should give you an option to skip the combat test if you give him a worn out scroll. Aparently you need to at least make it as far as the Marine Sphere 5 times before this option appears.

WOW! you have become a Wizard! Awesome work man! Now i will just quickly note down the easiest leveling spots for your wizards in this section..

[center]The Wizard Leveling Spots[/center]
This part varies tremendously. I've decided to write this based on locations: When I say you need a party, I mean you need both a priest and a tank. If I say Vit Party, it means you're going to have someone mob for your AoE spell. Some priests have enough vit & def to be the tank and the healer. There are
definetely other places you can hunt, but these are the only places that I have found to be regularly efficient.

Above Ground: Not Worth it... Once you're a wizard, you're dungeon bound. The only exception is when you're just having fun with friends/MVPing, or item hunting.

Clocktower Alarms: (Levels:55+, Solo, Skills: FW,a bolt, Quag+HD/SG are nice) The basic clocktower alarm map is crowded with mages and low level wizards soloing. The one that requires a key used to be worth it, but they've added too many Owl Dukes. Alarms are good xp... but very boring after the first 20 hours or so.

Clocktower High Orcs: (Levels: 80+, VitParty, Skills: SG, FW recomended) Fast leveling for the high-level crowd. This place tends to get very crowded though. Lower levels can hunt here... but you'll die more often. You will need: Phen Clip, Cranial Guard, and preferably an Immune Muff.

Clocktower Penos: (Levels: 60-75, Pnuema Priest Needed, Skills: Waterball) Easy and quick xp (really nice at low levels). Waterball is hideously powerful on this water-filled map. If you're either quick with handling the cramps and brilights (FW and FD) or preferably have a phen clip,you'll do great here.

Clocktower Stem Worms: (Levels: Low Wizard, Solo, Skills: Quag, HD, FW) Interesting place to level... good for building skills you'll need later on. The xp isn't great though.

Glast Prison: (Levels: 55-80, Solo/Party, Skills: FW, FD, LB, Heal/SG, Quag+) You can either solo this place with a broad array of mage skills... or get storm gust and pretty much only use it to party here. You have to be quite quick on the fly wings/teleport if you're soloing. Glast Sewer/Stings: (Levels: ??, ??, Skills: FW+FB or FD+WB, Heal + ??) This used to be THE place to level a fire mage... Gargoyles have made this place a bit harder, but a recent patch reduced the number of them. This is back to being a decent place to level, just bring your tele clip or a tremendous number of fly wings.

Glast Castle 2: (Levels:75+/80-85+, Solo/Party, Skills: FW+FD+JT+Heal+Quag/SG) This is basically the upgraded prison area. When soloing, again you have to be quick on the fly wings or teleporting. This is a fairly intense area to level in, but the drops are much better than something like alarms. Good
defense gear, plus immune and cranial (or hell guard) are highly recomended here.

Izlude Dungeon 5: (Levels: ??, Party, Skills: LoV)
I've been told that decent xp can be acquired down here... never done it myself though.

Niffleheim 2: (Levels: 85+ or 90+ Need High Dex, Party, Skills: SG) This place can be decent if you have very high dex. It is excellent money, but you need to have someone breaking the ice on the Loli's and Murder's.

Pyramids 4: (Levels:??, Solo/Party, Skills: Firewall, Quagmire, Storm Gust) Sometimes a wizard will solo here. I think this is slower than gh though.

Turtle Island 2: (Levels:70-80, Solo, Skills: FW,FB:10,JT:8+,Equip:Heal+Tele)
This is a rather fun and wierd place to solo a wizard. I've found that it's actually a decent place to solo when you get sick of alarms. It's a bit expensive to get here... but good for a change of pace. Use the fact that the Permeters and Soldiers are detectors against them to pull them into your FW.

Turtle Island 1-4: (Levels:70+, Party, Skills: SG,LOV/MS/HD,Quag, Equip:Phen)
Get a priest, get a tank. If you can get a large party head for level 3/4. On level 4, you want SG and Heavens Drive. Occasionally LoV is good... but SG and HD are far more important. If you only have a small party, a vit tank can hold several turtles in one spot while you use meteor storm.

[center]The Wizard Builds[/center]
[center]Mages Skill Tree[/center][center][/center]
Unlike before, where I explained step by step where to level each build,I've decided to generally describe where to level in an earlier section. And here I'll just talk about the skills and interesting variations.
Just a note... if you come at this with no pre-concieved notions of what spells are good, I'd recomend following one of the two 7.5 builds. They're very good starts if you're not that familiar with the spells. Also note that you don't need to get the spells in the order I've listed. I recomend either getting all of the fire skills first, or all of the ice/lightning skills first if you're getting both, but (as always), that's up to you.
[center]Wizards Skill Tree[/center][center][/center]

(i)Fire/Soul (with FD/JT)
As a Mage: FB:10,FBall:5,Sight:1,FW:10,CB:5,FD:10,NB:4,SS:4
As a Wizard: SS:->10,SC:1,ES:3,HD:5,Quag:5,SG:10,WB:5,LB:1,JT:10,Sense:1,+2
This build is designed for those who want the fast cast spell Soul Strike. I want to keep it on one of my wizards, but I wanted to work out some good wizard spells that would go with it. This is the result.
The last two could be put anywhere... it doesn't matter much. Some people like to put a little bit of SP regen in when they're mages and get 8 points worth of SS when they're wizards. You can also drop the FB a bit for SPregen The logic here is to make sure you have the critical AoE spells (SG+HD), keep the fast acting solo spell (Soul Strike), and still level quickly. If you have a pneuma priest, grab waterball early and head for penos.

As a Mage: LB:5, CB:5, SP:5, FD:10, LB:10, NB:1,SC:1,TS:1,Sight:1 + more TS,SP or some FB
As a Wizard: SG:10,JT:10,WB:5,LoV:10,ES:3,HD:5,Quag:5,Sense:1
This is the only short build I list (one that doesn't require you to go to job 50 as a mage). Personally, I don't like it. But alot of people seem to go some variation of this route. I don't like it because you end up wasting
points either on LB or TS most of the time (if you bring them past 4 and 1), and because you don't get what is the best solo spell in the game (Firewall).
Major Variants: LB:5,CB:5,SP:5,FD:10,LB:10,NB:4,SS:10,SC:1,TS:1,Sight:1
This variant gives you the fast cast soul strike skill as a mage. You still have two more points that can be put into SP regen or what-have-you, or just turn at job 48.

(iii)Safety Wall
As a Mage: FB:10,FBall:5,Sight:1,FW:10,CB:5,NB:7,SS:9,LB:1,SC:1
As a Wizard: FD:1, SG:10, JT:10, ES:3, HD:5, Quag:5, WB:5, SW:10 This is a decent build if you want the invulnerability spell Safety Wall. As written, this is sacrificing LoV, MS and a useable frost diver. I suspect
this would be useful for the MVP-obsessed... but it weakens the wizard in general. Minor Variants: Drop a level from quag, HD, or WB and get SS:10 Replace WB with IceWall:5 Drop some of the Firebolt for some sp regen. Major Variants: Drop Firebolt to 6, drop Waterball, max Frost Diver

(iv)Party Support (AoE Specialist)
As a Mage: FB:10,FBall:5,Sight:1,FW:10,CB:5,FD:10,LB:4,TS:1,SC:1,NB:1, +1
As a Wizard: SG:10, ES:3, HD:5, Quag:4, JT:5, LoV:10, SR:2, MS:10
Note that you have one extra mage point... some people throw it into SP regen fairly early on. I prefer to just grab an extra level of CB. I don't recomend sp regen with this build since you're going to be mostly partying, and priests like to keep mag up all the time anyways. This is a fun build, but it does lack something alot of people expect from a wizard... JT:10. Also note that you can't do penos with waterball. However
this is a very versatile party wizard. I recomend waiting a bit on MS,because without the higher dex that comes at later levels...the cast time is painful. Major Variants: Drop SG to 5, Max JT This Variant drops SG from the list of MVP capable spells (unless you have no competition), but it does give you a full JT, along with full MS and LoV. Since you almost never use SG10 while leveling... SG5 is just fine for PvM.
Major Variant: Drop SG to 5, Get IceWall 5 Some people like to have icewall in their party... some party members hate it... see above on the disadvantages of dropping SG to 5.

(v)MS or LoV build
As a Mage: FB:10,FBall:5,Sight:1,FW:10,CB:5,FD:10,LB:4,TS:1,SC:1,NB:1, +1
LoV Wizard: SG:10, WB:5, JT:10, ES:3, HD:5, Quag:5, LoV:10, Sense:1
MS Wizard: SG:10, WB:5, JT:10, ES:3, HD:5, Quag:4, SR:2, MS:10
Note that you have one extra mage point... some people throw it into SP regen fairly early on. I prefer to just grab an extra level of CB. These are just very common variants of each other. In my personal opinion,
MS/LoV wizards are the most powerful wizards in the game with three major party support spells (MS/LoV, SG10 and HD), while maintaining the versatility to solo effectively. The MS wizard could exchange HD and Quag, or could drop a point from either for a point of sense (although I wouldn't recomend it). Due to my distaste for LoV, I prefer the MS variant, but it can't be argued that you get a more "full" wizard with the LoV variant. Major Variants: Drop WB, replace with IceWall 5 Waterball is a cool skill, but you're somewhat limited in when and where you can use it. I personally don't like Icewall, but it fits the style of
some wizards I've seen. So if you want it, I recomend dropping WB for it.

(vi)The "Mistress Sunnies" build
Purely hypothetical from my point of view... what would I build if I had a
pair? Probably something along these lines... and mostly just for fun.

That's the End of this guide. I have used a lot of outside material in making this guide. But the main thing was that i removed all the errors and missing links from the other guides and made this. I hope you guys like this. Please give me feed-backs if possible. Criticism is welcomed. Enjoy! Laughing

Falcon Arrow
Arrow Industries