FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

think its nice?

m-productions
First before i even say anything, i did at first think about placing this in the "Advertise Your Website" section, however, this is not my website, and in a way, isnt a website at all... ANYWAY

I applyed to be the flash person at a web page (make flash tutrials/buttons/layouts). their site is a web design site. And i created this site to send for when i apply, i just would like to know what you all think of it. think it makes me look like i know my flash ^^ I wanted to add more, but i just havnt had the time.

edit: you know, i bet a link would be nice ..... =/

http://www.m-productions.co.nr/demo
TripleSicx707
I like it ive defiently learned something, ive donated you some FRIH$ for the link. Very Happy
BMB07
WOW!!

That is really cool! I dig it Smile
m-productions
TripleSicx707 wrote:
I like it ive defiently learned something, ive donated you some FRIH$ for the link. Very Happy

well thank you, actully once i get accepted, im turning that demo into a tutrial site of my own... me and some friends where talking, tutrials you see at flashkit and such are very nice and all, but if you have a little flash guy like that running around and helping you and "walking on the scripts themselfs" so to speak, would help almost anyone
Wong
Very nice! And cool.
apple
checked it out.....and bookmarked it for when it becomes a tutorial Wink
OutlawSpirit
looks good Cool
mattneed
Hey thanks mate!!! Ive been looking for tutorials all over the place..... im gonna give you some Fri$ for that thanks mate.. I was up most of teh night last night tryin to learn flash and stuff but didnt get much out of the tutorials that i found. I want to get to learn flash php mysql c c++ css and XML.... can you help me learn Flash please... My email messenger is mattneed@hotmail.com thanks please let me know! Also if you know any of the other languages can you help me please. Thanks again
munkey_boy
Ha ha ha cool. That little dude walking around is great. Nice. Wink

I really like it. Nice work. Razz
Soulfire
It's really slow to load on my system, but it looked nice.
m-productions
thank you all very much....... its gana take some time before it becomes a tutrial site, due to the fact its gana need a lot of scripting, but none the less it should have at least 2 tutrials up by mid feb. so keep an eye out, i would have some done sooner but im corrently working on another flash project that will be worth some frih$ for everyone Laughing but more on that coming later in the week in the contest forum.

ps: soulfire..... omg o.0 that was the name of the 2nd game i ever made (and didnt finish) soul fire rpg lol, i still have the site up somewhere
eliasr
Seams to be okay, maybe you should change your speed at the intro scene,
Scott
Neato, very helpful.
sibbahz
Interesting demonstration, if only i could get flash to do interesting things like that.
I could never figure flash out.
the-geek
i m not into flash anymore but yet i bookmark the link cos dont know when i'd be turning to flash again. its really nice.
fedex220
Hello,

I thinkt hat that is really cool how you can donate FRIH$ to people. I never noticed the donate button until the second person that posted here said that. I think that this whole system here is really realy cool. Personally i am trying to raise up my frih$ also so if anyone cal donate for me. Im trying to run an online multiplayeratc server off of my website. I would really appreciate any help with my frih$ i was looking at James007 and he has like 3000 FRIH$ i wish i had that many Razz Well i hope that someone reads this and feels caring enought to donate a few dollars. Thats everyone, Thanks FRIHOST and thanks internet for making this all possible.

Gday
m-productions
fedex220 wrote:
Hello,

I thinkt hat that is really cool how you can donate FRIH$ to people. I never noticed the donate button until the second person that posted here said that. I think that this whole system here is really realy cool. Personally i am trying to raise up my frih$ also so if anyone cal donate for me. Im trying to run an online multiplayeratc server off of my website. I would really appreciate any help with my frih$ i was looking at James007 and he has like 3000 FRIH$ i wish i had that many Razz Well i hope that someone reads this and feels caring enought to donate a few dollars. Thats everyone, Thanks FRIHOST and thanks internet for making this all possible.

Gday

that dosnt really have anything to do with this topic... but ok...

anyway, thanks guys, im starting to wright the tutrials right now, but all the ones i wright are to complicated for starters and i have to keep starting over o.0, ill make a good one soon, and then put it up. but itll take some time, im doing so much at once lol
mstreet
To get back on topic.
I like the site I haven't been to a flash site for ages.
m-productions
sadly im gana have to but a bit of a delay on it. Because im re-doing the main page of my website... im going to link all accounts that are on the main site to the tutrial page as well. shouldnt be that hard... so by the end of this month... Im hoping for a few good tutrials up ^^
ninjakannon
I like that demo a lot! It's very good, however I couldn't do anything with the code which I got, I entered it into the input text box within the 'speech bubble' and nothing happened - when I pressed enter it cleared. I would also say that the animations need to move a little faster, I hope you're not using the default 12 fps because that's way too slow. Furthermore, the flash buttons need to have a down frame, when I click them they just stay up - I hope you used MovieClips to make the buttons instead of actual buttons because they're terrible.

Overall, though, that flash demo is really good! I like it a lot and you definitely have some flash skill! I know how you did everything up the point I got to, I love flash myself.
Manofgames
i cant view flash on my phone Sad
ill have a look, and if its good, i may consider hiring you in future. Smile

good luck with the tutorials.
theem
Kool work man..................

keep it up....
jongoldsz
Thats awesome. I wish I knew some flash.
Kaisonic
That's pretty cool man. I'll have to look into that Flash stuff - it looks cool.
m-productions
First. thank you all for your replys ^^

ninjakannon wrote:
I couldn't do anything with the code which I got, I entered it into the input text box within the 'speech bubble' and nothing happened - when I pressed enter it cleared.

There probly was a space, or a letter left behind from what was in the box before....I didnt bother clearing the field once you click on it because I was already running low on time.

ninjakannon wrote:

I would also say that the animations need to move a little faster, I hope you're not using the default 12 fps because that's way too slow.

I am using 12 fps, and i always do. Most of the movment there (such as the main banner going up, the bar moving down, the character, the warp hole opening) is all script based, and dosnt have to do with the fps.. i can just up the pixles it moves at. The few things that are really set on a motion tween I could easly speed up by removing some frames, I tend to add a lot... I like slower things... it makes it seem more porfitional to me, rather than somthing that moves way to fast.... (such as on my main site... a lot of people dont like how slow the crystals move, but when i show them what it looks like fast...they all agree, slow is better)

ninjakannon wrote:

Furthermore, the flash buttons need to have a down frame, when I click them they just stay up - I hope you used MovieClips to make the buttons instead of actual buttons because they're terrible.

I did not add real animation to the buttons (or a down animation) because I was mimicing the buttons that were already on the page (in html form) I think those where normal buttons, but i do agree... I use MCs for my buttons most of the time. (unless its somthing very basic...or if im to lazy to wright the _parent target when its somthing in the same MC

Anyhow, thank you very much for your insite...it helps me think twice when im working on things in the future.

however like i said up on the first post, this was made as a demo of some of the basic things I can do in flash to show that one site....however... in the last month, i was only able to right one tutrial for that site... (and need to wright one more before I become head of the flash area) ..... being a month late is not a good thing... but..theres not much I can do lol
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:

There probly was a space, or a letter left behind from what was in the box before....I didnt bother clearing the field once you click on it because I was already running low on time.

I just tried again and it's working fine - I must have copied the code wrongly or something.

m-productions wrote:
I am using 12 fps, and i always do. Most of the movment there (such as the main banner going up, the bar moving down, the character, the warp hole opening) is all script based, and dosnt have to do with the fps.. i can just up the pixles it moves at. The few things that are really set on a motion tween I could easly speed up by removing some frames, I tend to add a lot... I like slower things... it makes it seem more porfitional to me, rather than somthing that moves way to fast.... (such as on my main site... a lot of people dont like how slow the crystals move, but when i show them what it looks like fast...they all agree, slow is better)

Yeah, I know what you mean about things moving too fast, I just thought you should increase the speed slightly - not too much mind, or it does look unprofessional as you said. I prefer using 20 fps for simple things, 25 fps for movies and 40 fps for games. I find that you notice the jumps far less when the frame rate is faster and that makes your the Flash product look more professional.

Another few things: I've noticed that your "Loading Text" bar doesn't really load the text (or perhaps it does... But if so then the text is cached every time because the bar always loads in the same way). Also, I would put a rollOver effect on the Enter button to make it more obvious - just make it look at bit greyer.
m-productions
The load text bar does load text the first time.... However, that load text bar is not a real load bar... instead of taking the time to make a real load bar for somthing as small as that .txt file, I just gave a like 3-5 second wait for the text to catch up...like i said i was in a hurry and only needed to show the most basic of skills =)-
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:
The load text bar does load text the first time.... However, that load text bar is not a real load bar... instead of taking the time to make a real load bar for somthing as small as that .txt file, I just gave a like 3-5 second wait for the text to catch up...like i said i was in a hurry and only needed to show the most basic of skills =)-

Heh heh, I knew it would be something like that. I loaded the page a few times and as the loading bar went up at the same rate every time I thought it must be just an animation. You can't really make a percentage based (as in percent currently loaded out of total size to load) loading bar for a txt file anyway.
m-productions
ahh but you can. You can check the size of the .txt file, and the total size of the text file just as you can any external file. however, .txt files are usally so small it seems like it dosnt work. I made a huge text doc once just to try it out, and you can... but the method is bit weird (theres a tutiral on it at flashkit, i think thats where i first sall it) anyway it has a real "load bar" so thats all that matters heehee lol. but once again thanks for your input, and im looking forward to your thoughts on my tutrials as well..

and manofgames, let me know if you like it, id be glad to do somthing for you.
FaLLeN
Yes very very nice, im not very good at flash, well i havnt really tried it, the closent thing to flash animation i have done is adding glow to a sword in one my sigs i've done.

Looking at that makes me want to get back into photoshop, thx for the link!
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:
ahh but you can. You can check the size of the .txt file, and the total size of the text file just as you can any external file. however, .txt files are usally so small it seems like it dosnt work. I made a huge text doc once just to try it out, and you can... but the method is bit weird (theres a tutiral on it at flashkit, i think thats where i first sall it) anyway it has a real "load bar" so thats all that matters heehee lol. but once again thanks for your input, and im looking forward to your thoughts on my tutrials as well..

I'm sure I knew how to do that, how do you check the size of the .txt file again?

What I don't know is how to get the progress of any external file, obviously I can do .swf files, or image files - and I'm sure checking the progress of loading sound files would be pretty simple. But I've never managed to do other files (admittedly I haven't really needed to, so I've not looked into this much).
DecayClan
Nice man Very Happy, keep up the good work...

~~~I don't believe that you really had doubts about it beeing good or not
m-productions
Ill see if i still have my work on it, I havent used it in so long, i dont know it at the top of my head, ill search for it when i get home.

im home...here it is
Code:

onClipEvent(load) {
varSender = new LoadVars();
varSender.cacheKiller = new Date().getTime();
varReceiver = new LoadVars();varSender.sendAndLoad("vars.txt", varReceiver, "GET");
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
  var kbLoaded = Math.floor(varReceiver.getBytesLoaded()/1024);
  var kbTotal = Math.floor(varReceiver.getBytesTotal()/1024);
}

and im sure you know what to do with the rest of it to make it a load bar =)-

also, this will not work if the file is local (such as on your computer) if you keep the cachekiller, so it worked when its uploaded to the net, but not on your computer. just remove that one line to make it work on your comp.

and just because i think it looks good dosnt mean others will, ive learned this, Ive done things that i think are beyond cool...and noone really likes them...then ive done things that i think are beyond horrible..and did out of total bordem... yet, people love them to death...so you can never really tell.
ninjakannon
Oh thanks a lot, m-productions - I really appreciate that.

I've tried to load text files in and get a percentage before but I'd never done it quite like that, very clever (and I mean that).

I'm definitely going to use that at some time in the future, whenever I need to load a text file I guess. I didn't know about cacheKiller either - in fact it's not in livedocs.macromedia.com and I get hardly any hits for it on Google. Confused

I can guess as to it's function (well it's pretty obvious), but are you sure that works?
m-productions
yes, and ill explain it.

you have the line
Code:

varSender.cacheKiller = new Date().getTime();

we know the varSender, is the variable object that we are going to send to the .txt file. It will have the variable "cachekiller" attached to it which will be eqaule to new Date().getTime();. so, when it goes to "senAndLoad"
it will send that variable to the .txt file...making it look like such
"vars.txt?cacheKiller=1170719687264"
so when flash goes to find the file...it will still open the .txt file, but the "file name" will be differnet every time, making your computer open it again because its not in the cache.

See

http://www.m-productions.co.nr/version.txt
http://www.m-productions.co.nr/version.txt?cachekiller=2918029182
http://www.m-productions.co.nr/version.txt?WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

All 3 work.
seanooi
very interesting website.
You've made me remember how I used to play with flash when i was young.
I might just start playing with them again when I'm free Very Happy
ninjakannon
Oh yeah I understand that, m-productions. I've used the same technique before but, not thinking this time, I assumed that 'cacheKiller' was a property or command or something.

Thanks for giving me the code, and taking the time to explain it - I expect to use it too.
m-productions
I really wish it was a command. The whole reason I have to use it is because my main main page is all flash based... and if i do a small update... when someone comes to my site.... the old flash site loads because its in the cache and dosnt download the new one... so I made a version.txt for it to check, and if its higher than the .swf current version, it lets them know and wont let them view it... I just wish their was a command to force the new .swf load...that would be so nice!
erlendhg
amazingly cool !!!

...and that was just a DEMO??

I just.... wow!
goutha
Not bad!

But I still prefer sites without flash... personal opinion...
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:
I really wish it was a command. The whole reason I have to use it is because my main main page is all flash based... and if i do a small update... when someone comes to my site.... the old flash site loads because its in the cache and dosnt download the new one... so I made a version.txt for it to check, and if its higher than the .swf current version, it lets them know and wont let them view it... I just wish their was a command to force the new .swf load...that would be so nice!

Yes, I've had problems with files being cached in the past. Actually, I had a problem even when using that method - it would still take up to around 5 minutes for the txt files to register as different, which really bugged me as I was trying to get some fast communication going at the time.

I wish Adobe would make some new commands to deal with caching issues, as well as a whole host of other things. (Plus, I'd love them to make a 3D Flash, but that's a different matter altogether).
m-productions
lol im no 3d person, but if they made a 3d flash... you better beleave id be right on top of it. (a 3d site.. that would be kinda cool ... lol) The tutorial site should be up by sunday !!! however.... I just lost about 2 hours of work....

ok..... (im going to explain this in a noob way for people that dont know)

in flash there is a function ... onClipEvent(enterFrame) { }
anything inside that will be repeated every time a frame goes by, so if i have my FPS set to 16.. the script inside of that will happen 16 times per second... well without thinking, I added a "openurl" command to open a javascript:aleart(message) function....so...when i went to test this...... every second it opend 16 Windows.. it took me about 13 seconds to see what had happen ... about 200 windows opend.... Then I got 200 Runtime errors, along with 200 This program did not close right (when I closes them all out (slowy cuase my comp was lagging DUH)) and 200 do you wish to send an error report msgs.... AND THEN they didnt really close out (they did , but when you check the tsk mannger, they were all still running) so i had to end task 200 windows...... so after around 1000 clicks i turns out...flash had locked up do to all the stress...and lost 2 hours of work YAY!!!
ninjakannon
Hah! Haven't we all (us Flash users anyway) done something like that? I'm into the habit of saving my work ever few seconds now so at least I don't loose my work when I manage to crash Flash. You know, I've done exactly the same as you, but mine stopped sooner - luckily I was using the javascript alert to give me some information (I was testing this online), but I had run it offline forgetting that it would do this. When it's online, interestingly, it works fine for me - as you can't get more than one alert at a time from the same page. I've also had alerts which popped up once some variable was true (or something like that, I can't quite remember), and because of a bug the variable was never set to false. As soon as I clicked OK on the alert, there'd be another one. This called for holding enter and clicking quickly on the close button for a while (I did manage to close the page after a while too).
m-productions
Well the basic frame of the Site is now up

http://www.m-productions.co.nr/tutorials

Nothing much yet, just text..... umm OH I did make a cool little thing where you can go to System/profile go to custom music and type in an mp3 and it will dl and play and loop.... (the max seconds dont show yet cause I havnt delt with it!
ninjakannon
m-productions wrote:
http://www.m-productions.co.nr/Tutorials

That link doesn't work in by browser, but this does:

http://www.m-productions.co.nr/tutorials

For some reason it doesn't like the capital "T".

By the way, the account name character limit is 10, so I can't use ninjakannon! *gives evil glare* Evil or Very Mad
m-productions
woops, I typed tht fast cause the bell went off for class switch right when I was posting this lol.

As for the 10 max for account...im going to make that larger (as you can see in the text field there is room) Its just on my main site..the text fields can only hold 10 due to their size..so if you made a 15 character username here, then you cant login on the mainpage...but im going to re-do my mainpage anyway because its to hard to read on some screens (tho it looks nice on mine)
rhathar
Wow! You did an awesome job! I'm actually taking a Flash class right now - I hope someday I'll be able to produce work like this! Smile
mstreet
I think its pretty good. I haven't looked at Flash for ages. Great Job
headie
That's pretty cool. Not like i haven't seen everything you've created during class, but it's still pretty cool. Little bit of a glitch there. Make sure to fix it. Very Happy