FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Coded Name

william
Coded Name

Note: Due to the lack of interest, I won't be putting up any more rounds. That is, unless, this contest gains some popularity again.

Welcome to Coded Name! This is a rather simple contest where I give you a code and if you figure out how to solve the code, it will reveal a name.

Note: Some of the rules have been modified.

How it works:
1. I'll write down a code.
2. Contestants must figure out how to properly crack the code.
3. Once you crack the code, it will reveal a name, usually a famous person.
4. The amount of money you earn depends on the difficulty of the code. Prize ranges from 3 Frih$-8 Frih$.

Formerly:
4. You will earn 2 Frih$ for the proper name, and up to 5 Frih$ for an explanation on how to crack the code. (Amount earned depends on the quality).~No Longer Valid~

Example:

Code: 2455 42837
Name: Bill Gates
Explanation: The numbers correspond with the keys on a telephone.

Random Information:
1. You may guess as many times as you wish.
2 You are permitted to give me only the code or only the name. ~No Longer Valid~
3. You may use external sources for help.
4. Try to write a good reason, as you will earn more that way. ~No Longer Valid~

Round 15

Code: ^ MATH X 7 ) x^-1

Hints: Graphing, TI, Alpha

Answer: Harold

Reason: Alpha Keystrokes on the TI-83 calculator series

Winner: TomS

Prize: 30 Frih$

Round 14

Code: 44,694

Hints: Mathematical Operation to make easier; divide by 365 and use a remainder.

Answer: Jeanne Louise Calment

Reason: Age

Winner: runereference

Prize: 8 Frih$

Round 13

Code: 52,000,000,000

Hints: Forbes 2007

Answer: Warren Buffet

Reason: Net Worth

Winner: Star Wars Fanatic

Prize: 6 Frih$

Round 12

Code: 35

Hints: Joined Date, Ascending

Answer: Albert

Reason: 35th member to join Frihost.

Round 11

Code: 7-15-15-7-12-5-.-3-15-13

Hints: . The code doesn't actually reveal the name of a person, but it reveals the name of something. The answer has to do with that "something."

Answer: Larry Page (Sergey Brin would have also been accepted).

Reason: Take the numbers and replace them with the corresponding letters of the alphabet. Then, find the owner and/or founder of the word revealed.

Winner: MrBlueSky

Round 10

Code: !) ! # !% @

Hints: None

Answer: Jacob

Reason: Convert the symbols to the corresponding numbers on a QWERTY keyboard, then convert them to the corresponding letter of the alphabet.

Winner: Montressor

Prize: 4 Frih$

Round 9

Code: S;rcsmfrt yjr htrsy

Answer: Alexander the Great

Reason: The letters are replaced with the letter that appears before the given letter on the Qwerty keyboard.

Winner: saratdear

Prize: 4 Frih$

Round 8

Code: --. .... .- -. -.. ..

Answer: Ghandi

Reason: Morse Code

Winner: Montressor

Prize: 3 Frih$

Round 7

Code: 83-67-72-87-65-82-90-69-78-69-71-71-69-82

Answer: Schwarzenegger

Reason: ASCII Table

Round 6

Code: 4-225-4

Answer: Bob

Reason: Find the square root of the number, then the result corresponds to the letters of the alphabet.

Winner: fx-trading-education

Prize: 5 Frih$*

Round 5

Code: 12-8-11

Hints: 12M=Y

Answer: Dan

Reason: The number is the first letter of the month it corresponds with.

Winner: TurkishGamer

Prize: 6 Frih$*

Round 4

Code: Vhmrsnm Bgtqbghkk

Answer: Winston Churchill

Reason: Just replace every letter with the one that comes after it in the alphabet.

Winner: TurkishGamer

Round 3

Code: Oam <anyrb

Hints: Computer Keyboards; Qwerty and Dvorak

Answer: Sam Walton

Reason: The Qwerty and Dvorak keyboard have to be placed on top of each other. Replace the letters (which are on the Dvorak layout) with the keys on Qwerty.

Winner: mattneed

Prize: 5 Frih$*

Round 2

Code: 19-20-5-22-5

Hints: This is only the first name; Frihost.

Answer: Steve

Reason: Corresponds with the letters of the alphabet.

Winner: CyanEyed

Round 1

Code: 4295464

Hints: This one is really easy and it's only the last name of the person.

Answer: Hawking

Reason: Corresponds with the keys on a telephone.

Winner: mattneed

This contest requires a lot of thinking outside the box. Very Happy
So, what are you waiting for? There's nothing to lose!

*These prizes were based on the previous way of earning a prize.

Note: The contest will come to an end after round 50.
mattneed
The code is 4295464=Hawking. I beleive like steven Hawking or something like that. Lol yes easy. They as well correspond to the keys on a telephone
william
@mattneed

You are correct! 6 Frih$ coming your way.

Edit: Let contest 2 begin!

Code: 19-20-5-22-5

Hints: This is only the first name; Frihost.
CyanEyed
STEVE!!!

the numbers correspond the letter in the alphabet.

19 = S
20 = T
05 = E
22 = V
05 = E
william
CyanEyed, you are correct. 6 Frih$ coming your way.

OK, now that guys have gotten the hang of it, the next round will be more of a challenge. Get ready to think outside the box!

But, just give me some time to think up another code. Wink
mattneed
awwwwwwwwww i knew what the next one was gonna be hahah fun game . although i know one that will NEVER allow anyone to guess it Smile
william
OK, contest 3 is up. It's much harder than the previous ones. This one also uses letters (and a symbol) while the other ones used numbers. Let's see how many of you can really think outside the box.

Also, in the future, I will stop having the hints. I'll post hints when nobody can figure it out.

Let contest 3 begin!

Code: Oam <anyrb

Hints: Computer Keyboards
mattneed
ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 2 HOURS TRYIN TO GET THIS THING Can we get another hint please
TarsajumaClan
Looks like an interesting contest. Im going to have to think about this one.
mattneed
:0 now i have competition Smile(
TurkishGamer
Can i ask if the hint refers to the answer or the way to get to the answer?

I tried so many things
william
@TurkishGamer

The hint refers to how to solve it.

OK, I guess it's time for another hint; I said it had to do with computer keyboards, and it has to do with Dvorak and Qwerty.
mattneed
what the heck is dvorak and the other word?
mattneed
sam walton they keys have to match up to each other the answer is sam walton Smile
william
Good job again, mattneed. You got it right!

OK, this time, I'll make it much harder. Wink
mattneed
no dont make it much harder that took me atleast 6 hours to find out lol
TomS
uhm. I didn't understand the solution? What keys have to match with another keys???
william
TomS wrote:
uhm. I didn't understand the solution? What keys have to match with another keys???

The Qwerty keyboard layout has to match up with the Dvorak keyboard layout.

This is a comparison between Dvorak and Qwerty.

Here's what I did, I set my keyboard to Dvorak, but it was still a Qwerty layout. I typed as if it was Qwerty but it came out as Dvorak.

So, O=S, a=a, m=m, <=W, etc.

I'll have the next one up soon, but I guess I will make it easier.
TurkishGamer

Here is a picture of both a normal (Qwerty) and a dvorak keyboard. Find out where the letters in the code Oam <anyrb are on the dvorak keyboard and press those keys on the normal keyboard.

EDIT: william just beat me to it (about 30 seconds). And you found the same picture as me william
mattneed
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm new code?
william
Sorry for the delay. Here's the next code: Vhmrsnm Bgtqbghkk. This one is easier than the previous, but no starting hints.

@TurkishGamer

Wow, I beat you by a mere 30 seconds and it was the same image. Very Happy That's pretty cool.
TurkishGamer
Winston Churchill
Just change all the letters to the next letter in the alphabet
william
TurkishGamer wrote:
Winston Churchill
Just change all the letters to the next letter in the alphabet

TurkishGamer, you are correct!

Wow, my codes are either really easy or really hard, I'm going to think up another one and be back soon. I'll also make more than one code so that you guys don't have to wait.
william
OK, Round 5 is now up.

Here's the code: 12-8-11

It's easier than the keyboard one, but harder than the others. Hopefully this is a decent difficulty. Very Happy
Captain Fertile
And the award for the most convoluted incorrect answer goes to…
Okay, first take the three numbers 12, 8 and 11 then change them to their corresponding alphabetic letters and you get L-H-K.

Next, take these letters (LHK) and transpose them to the code associated with airports (LHR = London Heathrow Airport, LAX= Los Angeles International Airport etc) and LHK bcomes Guanghua Airport in China.

( http://www.world-airport-codes.com/China/guanghua-2749.html )

And of course that name can only lead to one person, the late great

Doctor Zhu Guanghua (ok he may not be that famous)

( http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/FloraData/002/Vol22/guanghua_zhu.html )

This thinking is so far out of the box its actually inside a completely different box!!! But my imagination takes over when logic fails.

I hope it made you smile at least.

------------------------------------------------------

Failing this, is the answer JFK? purely because I can’t think of another famous person with a three letter name!!! Well there was another reason but even more convoluted than the example of my weird mind above.

I am a sad person I know but you guys must have minds like computers to be able to crack these codes - you have my utter respect and admiration.
william
You definitely made me smile. Very Happy

That's really thinking outside the box. Because I'm in a good mood, I'll give you 3 Frih$ for your, incorrect, but creative, answer. Wink

Minor Hint: It's a LOT simpler than the method Captain Fertile used. Very Happy
Captain Fertile
Many thanks, very kind - first time being stupid has actually earned me anything.

I shall keep watching this thread, scratching my head and getting a headache.

Maybe next time I contribute it will be with a sensible answer.
TurkishGamer
I know this is going to be stupid but here you go:

12-8-11
    Using ascii table to convert from dec to hex I got 12 is C...8 is 8...11 is B (see ascii table )
    But that together and it says C(eight) B
    Which when pronounced right gives you the name Cate B.
    I google searched Cate and one of the first answers I got was Cate Blanchett, an actor.
    Is the answer by any chance Cate Blanchett

Laughing
william
Another wonderful, but incorrect answer. I'm still in a good mood so I'm giving you 3 Frih$. (I probably won't do this anymore). Actually, both you and Captain Fertile gave me ideas for some of the next rounds. *HINT* Wink

OK, here's the first hint: It's only the first name.
mattneed
MTX
william
@mattneed

If that's an answer, no, but how did you come up with that?
m-productions
ITS JIM!!!!!!!!!

how i got this:

if you go to
http://www.m-productions.frih.net/pic/decoder.html (i have nothing to do with this site Rolling Eyes )

and type in 12-8-11 you get jim, THAT MUST BE THE ANSWER!!! a decoder gave it to me!!!
william
m-productions wrote:
ITS JIM!!!!!!!!!

how i got this:

if you go to
http://www.m-productions.frih.net/pic/decoder.html (i have nothing to do with this site Rolling Eyes )

and type in 12-8-11 you get jim, THAT MUST BE THE ANSWER!!! a decoder gave it to me!!!

Heh, nice decoder. Laughing

Wrong answer but a good technique. I'll might use that in the future. *HINT* If you get it wrong then, that's not a good sign. Wink
william
OK, it seems like not many people are coming up with the answer. So, I have a hint. This hint is also, somewhat, a simple code.

12M=Y

If you figure out what the hint means, most likely you'll find the answer. I also have one more small hint that will go out after the next three guesses.
TurkishGamer
I got the hint, but I don't get the code. Don't I feel stupid. Embarassed
william
@TurkishGamer

Well, if you understand this hint, then you're really close to the answer. After two more people guess, I'll reveal the hint that'll just give the answer away. Keep trying, you just might be able to get it. An idea might just pop in your head. Wink
TurkishGamer
The answer is DAN. I think I finally got it.

12-8-11
12th month : December
8th month : August
11th month: November
william
*DING DING DING*

Congratulations TurkishGamer! You've got the right answer! 6 Frih$ coming your way!
william
OK, round 6 is now up. Here's the code:

4-225-4

Let's see how well you guys perform with this. Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
u-kki-u

or

d-e-d

or

d-bbe-d

or

it isn't any of the above, I have no clue Razz
william
@Star Wars Fanatic

Well, none of them are right, but I'm just wondering, how did you get the first one?
TurkishGamer
This looks like a hard one. The only thing I could think about was inserting those numbers in for rgb values.

Could you tell us if this is hard. I don't think we want to overthink the code again
Star Wars Fanatic
Looking for more ideas? Razz Well I have a laptop, so those number pad is on the same keys as the letters, in this case, 4 is on u, 2 is on k, and 5 is on i. But it is probably different for all laptops, because they are made different, but I don't know.
william
TurkishGamer wrote:
This looks like a hard one. The only thing I could think about was inserting those numbers in for rgb values.

Could you tell us if this is hard. I don't think we want to overthink the code again

It's not as hard as you would expect, it's rather intermediate. After a few more guesses, I'll put up the first hint.

Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Looking for more ideas? Razz Well I have a laptop, so those number pad is on the same keys as the letters, in this case, 4 is on u, 2 is on k, and 5 is on i. But it is probably different for all laptops, because they are made different, but I don't know.

No, not looking more more ideas. Razz I just couldn't figure out how you did it.
Star Wars Fanatic
Is it the first 47131 numbers in pi before the number 42254 occurs?
mattneed
3.1415965358 LMAO
fx-trading-education
I propose BOB

because B =2*2 = 4
and O =15*15 = 225
william
Whoa, that's right. I didn't expect anyone to figure it out this quickly. Nice job! 5 Frih$ coming your way!
Star Wars Fanatic
Dang... Nice job Razz What's the next one?
fx-trading-education
Thanks for the Fri$ and fr starting this nice contest.
I think that the key for the previous code was 225 because it is clear it is a square. Otherwise with numbers like 4 it's very difficult to imagine taking the square root.
waiting for the next challenge !
william
Sorry for the delay. I was a bit busy yesterday so I couldn't post the next round. Well, here's the code for round 7:

83-67-72-87-65-82-90-69-78-69-71-71-69-82

Now, the method of giving money away has changed, now the prize relates to the difficulty. This round is worth 6 Frih$.
Star Wars Fanatic
Schwarzenegger... Is the answer, that was easy to, Razz
william
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Schwarzenegger... Is the answer, that was easy to, Razz

Whoa, yeah, that's right. I thought some people would be intimidated by how long it was. Laughing

Once you explain how you got it, I'll send in the Frih$.
Star Wars Fanatic
Yea, I use the ASCII table that TurkishGamer provided, and I had taken a look at it before, and the numbers you used all coorisponded with what I had seen there, so when I saw the code above, I knew exactly where you got it, lol.
fx-trading-education
Whao, now the problems are even solved before I wake up ! Laughing
Congratulations !
Captain Fertile
Good Grief! Well done Star Wars.

I looked at the code and my mind instantly shut down. I'm determined to get one of these one day so watch this space (but don't hold your breath Laughing ).
toughtrio
This is what happened.
I checked out this forum for the first time, it seemed to be interesting, 7 rounds already gone. Then, I looked at the 7th code and it looked intimidatingly long. Well, once I had read the first page of the forum, I had that ASCII table opened in front of me, telling me the answer. Feeling so intelligent, I changed the page to read it till the end and then to post my answer. And when I scroll down on the 2nd page, I see that Star Wars already has given the answer, and william doesnt even bother to edit the first post, that has the winner details and the answer to the 7th code.

It played with my emotions dude Wink , for 2 minutes I was thinking of myself as a braniac.

Warm Regards,
william
toughtrio wrote:
This is what happened.
I checked out this forum for the first time, it seemed to be interesting, 7 rounds already gone. Then, I looked at the 7th code and it looked intimidatingly long. Well, once I had read the first page of the forum, I had that ASCII table opened in front of me, telling me the answer. Feeling so intelligent, I changed the page to read it till the end and then to post my answer. And when I scroll down on the 2nd page, I see that Star Wars already has given the answer, and william doesnt even bother to edit the first post, that has the winner details and the answer to the 7th code.

It played with my emotions dude Wink , for 2 minutes I was thinking of myself as a braniac.

Warm Regards,

I'm really sorry about that. Yesterday, I was about to get off the computer and work on something, but I got the reply notification with Star Wars Fanatic's reason, so I had enough time to pay him but not update the first post. Hopefully the delay will not be as long next time.

Here's the code for round 8: --. .... .- -. -.. ..

The Prize for this round is 3 Frih$.
Montressor
Well, the "a" and the "n" look a little too close together, but I'll go for Ghandi
william
Montressor wrote:
Well, the "a" and the "n" look a little too close together, but I'll go for Ghandi

That is correct! Once you go ahead and explain how you got it, I'll send in the prize.
Montressor
william wrote:
That is correct! Once you go ahead and explain how you got it, I'll send in the prize.

I recognized that a code of "dots" and "dashes" would possibly and probably be Morse code, so I translated it (several times since I kept putting .--. together to make ghpdi), and then when I had just about given up hope after trying rot-13 and suchlike I noticed that the spacing between the dashes in .--. was different than the spacing between the dashes in --., once I realized that it was simple.

--. = g
.... = h
.- =a
-. =n
-.. =d
.. =i
MrBlueSky
Code:

.. / - .... .. -. -.- / .. - / .... .- ... / ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. / - --- / -.. --- / .-- .. - .... / -- --- .-. ... . /

(too late)

http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/othutil/webapps/morse/

Wink
william
@Montressor

Yep, that's right. Three Frih$ coming your way.

Also, I will have the next code up soon, just not right now. I still need to think up a good one.
william
Alright, round 9 is now up. The code is: S;rcsmfrt yjr htrsy. This one isn't that easy, but it's not that hard. (It's more or less on the easy side of the scale). The prize for this round is 4 Frih$. Good luck everyone! Also, remember to think outside the box!
MrBlueSky
Hmm... I'm half way.... i think.

I think i know the first 2 words.
saratdear
It is - Alexander the Great
The explanation - Substitute the letters and characters with the letters before them in the QWERTY keyboard.
I hope this is enough. Wink
alissavb
Answer: Alexander the Great!
Explanation: Each letter stands for the letter to the left of it on the Qwerty keyboard.

Cool contest you have going here. Smile
fx-trading-education
I couldn't find it because I don't have a US keyboard Surprised
just kidding !
I have a French keyboard and I can tell you that it doesn't make Alexander the great at all !

Very Happy
william
@saratdear

Yep, that's correct. 4 Frih$ coming your way!

I'll have to think about what my next contest should be. I'll have it up soon.
william
OK, sorry for the delay. I haven't been able to log on for a while.

Here's the next code: !) ! # !% @

I've decided to not reveal the prize, since that's really a hint.
Montressor
Jacob
william
Whoa, that was fast. Once you explain how you got it, I'll send the cash.
Montressor
william wrote:
Whoa, that was fast. Once you explain how you got it, I'll send the cash.

Convert the characters to numbers by using a standard keyboard (the numbers have 2nd functions which are the characters)
!) = 10
! =1
# = 3
!% = 15
@ = 2
So you have 10, 1, 3, 15, 2
Then convert the numbers into letters (where a=1, b=2... z=26)
10 = J
1 = a
3= c
15 = o
2 = b
And you get Jacob
william
Once again, sorry for the delay. I'm going to try to update this more often.

Here is the code for round eleven: 7-15-15-7-12-5-.-3-15-13

Let round 11 begin! Good luck everyone!
Star Wars Fanatic
Google.com is the answer.
That was easy, just switch out the numbers for their coorosponding letters: a = 1, b = 2, and so on, and the thing in the middle -.- Well, I just replaced that with "." as it seemed most logical.
william
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Google.com is the answer.
That was easy, just switch out the numbers for their coorosponding letters: a = 1, b = 2, and so on, and the thing in the middle -.- Well, I just replaced that with "." as it seemed most logical.

Perhaps, but that's wrong. Remember, this is Coded Name. By that, it's the name of a person, not a place or thing.
Star Wars Fanatic
!!! Wow!!! That's great! Really tricky, and I applaude your trickness, now just to figure it out another way... Evil or Very Mad (Besides Google is a name, although the .com part makes it a site Razz)
MrBlueSky
Maybe it's time for a hint? Laughing

frihostsunofficialtreasurehunt wrote:
1) Final
2) ???????
3) C - L - XLIII
william
MrBlueSky wrote:
Maybe it's time for a hint? Laughing

OK, since nobody is guessing, I'll go ahead and reveal a hint. The code doesn't actually reveal the name of a person, but it reveals the name of something. The answer has to do with that "something."

This code is very different compared to the others. Very Happy
MrBlueSky
In that I case I go for Larry Page Very Happy

But if that is correct (which it probably isn't) the honour and fri$ should go to Star Wars Fanatic, i think Smile
william
MrBlueSky wrote:
In that I case I go for Larry Page Very Happy

But if that is correct (which it probably isn't) the honour and fri$ should go to Star Wars Fanatic, i think Smile

Actually, that's it! I would accept either Larry Page or Sergey Brin. Star Wars Fanatic's answer was a part of the procedure to solve the code. Anyway, 6 Frih$ coming your way!
MrBlueSky
Oke, thanks Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
Ah, good going, I missed the hint, otherwise I might have gotten it... Tricky, tricky...
william
OK, guys, round 12 is now up.

Code: 35

Quite simple...don't think too hard, otherwise you probably won't get it. Wink

Good luck everyone!
MrBlueSky
Elvis Presley? (born 8 jan. 1935) Cool
william
MrBlueSky wrote:
Elvis Presley? (born 8 jan. 1935) Cool

No, that's not it. But, coincedentaly, that was the method I was planning to use, but I changed my mind since many people share birthdays. Wink
Star Wars Fanatic
Tiridates III becomes king of Parthia in the year 35...

These guys were all born in the year 35...
Ban Zhao, Chinese historian
Quintilian, Roman rhetorician
Nerva, Roman Emperor

CE is what it is converted to the alphebet... Bet I can't think of any famous names with those initials other then Custum Edition, which makes me think of Windows, so Gates maybe?
william
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Tiridates III becomes king of Parthia in the year 35...

These guys were all born in the year 35...
Ban Zhao, Chinese historian
Quintilian, Roman rhetorician
Nerva, Roman Emperor

CE is what it is converted to the alphebet... Bet I can't think of any famous names with those initials other then Custum Edition, which makes me think of Windows, so Gates maybe?

I really like it when people really think outside the box. Very Happy No, none of those are correct, but they're all good answers.
qscomputing
CE... well many people say it's rude to say "BC" and "AD" these days, because that's based on Christianity (the dates are wrong anyway, but that's another story...): they prefer "Before Common Era" and "Common Era" instead - "BCE" and "CE".

So I am going to suggest Jesus Christ, because His birth is the epoch for the Western calendar and the start of CE.
guugu
Kiefer “Jack Bauer” Sutherland

35=
3-1=2
5-1=4

24 = Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer = Kiefer Sutherland
MrBlueSky
Jöns Jakob Berzelius and/or Wilhelm von Hisinger and/or Martin Heinrich Klaproth?

(The 3 discoverers of Cerium, the chemical element which abbreviation is Ce)
william
@qscomputing, guugu, and MrBlueSky

Sorry, none of those are right, however they're all very clever ways to find the answer.

OK, I guess it's time for a hint.

Here it is: Joined Date, Ascending

Hopefully, that gives you a clue on where and how to find the answer. Good Luck! Very Happy
MrBlueSky
Napoleon Very Happy
william
@MrBlueSky

No, that's not it. Very Happy You have some pretty unique answers. Smile Just wondering, how did you come up with that?
MrBlueSky
william wrote:
@MrBlueSky

No, that's not it. Very Happy You have some pretty unique answers. Smile Just wondering, how did you come up with that?

napoleonvn joined frihost at May, 3 (May being the fifth' month and Napoleon being famous person..) Smile
william
MrBlueSky wrote:
william wrote:
@MrBlueSky

napoleonvn joined frihost at May, 3 (May being the fifth' month and Napoleon being famous person..) Smile

Whoa, you are REALLY close to getting this. Keep trying, it's only a matter of time before you get the right answer.
Star Wars Fanatic
It is albert, he was the 35th person to register...
william
*DING DING DING*

Congratulations Star Wars Fanatic! You got the right answer! 6 Frih$ coming your way!
Star Wars Fanatic
Thanks for the Frih$, and I await the next code Rolling Eyes
Although I couldn't have gotten the last one without that hint, lol.
MrBlueSky
Excuse my impatience, but it's been a while... Smile

Will there be new codes?
TurkishGamer
You might want to ask him with a PM. If he does not reply here for the code contest, I doubt he will reply here for your question.
william
Sorry guys. I sorta forgot about this contest. Embarassed Don't worry, I'll have the next code up as soon as possible.
saratdear
Excuse my impatience, and for bumping this to top of the list, but is "as soon as possible" going to be anytime soon?
Even though I won like only once, this was a great contest, entertaining to watch.
william
Well, as many of you may have noticed, I'm been really busy lately. I really don't know when I'll be back to posting on Frihost daily. Anyhow, I have a bit of free time now, thus I'll post a code.

Code: 52,000,000,000
Star Wars Fanatic
I dunno, I Googled that number, came up with something with Enron, is it the owner of that corporation?
william
@Star Wars Fanatic

Nope, that's not it. Just letting you know that if it was, I would still need the name.

Come on people, this one isn't that hard.
gh0strec0n_legit
Bill Gates because that's how much money he has.
william
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:

No, it's not Bill Gates. According to Forbes, he's at 56,000,000,000 now. Wink
gh0strec0n_legit
william wrote:
gh0strec0n_legit wrote:

No, it's not Bill Gates. According to Forbes, he's at 56,000,000,000 now. Wink
Darn, there i was thinking I was going to make 5Frih$ lol, i guess it was a pretty good guess.
toughtrio
that's a really difficult code man.. Can't think of anything with it...
Hint seriously needed. Please.

Warm Regards,
william
OK, guys, sorry about not posting in a while. I've been so busy; I really wish I could return to Frihost and start posting as much as I used to. Anyhow, I'll give you guys a hint.

gh0strec0n_legit had the right idea.
Bockman
(actually hoping i get this one wrong)

President Mobutu of Zaire, as this is allegedly the amount of money he managed to amass while in front of the government.

Be Well Cool
william
Nope, that's not it. Very Happy Anyone else want to give it a try?
tidruG
Leo Wanta?
That's apparently the amount of money he stole from Enron.
DeFlanko
Vietnams Electricity Consumption: 52,000,000,000 Kilowatts (kWh)
DeFlanko
The World War, rather our brief participation in it, has cost the United States some $52,000,000,000.

Found here: http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:u-x96T_4lrQJ:www.planetquo.com/War-Is-A-Racket+52,000,000,000&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=19&gl=us
william
Nope, none of those are correct. OK; here's a hint.

Forbes 2007.
Star Wars Fanatic
OMG! I Googled Forbes and 52,000,000,000 and the second result was this page, Razz Check it out...

Anways...

Warren Buffett, number two billionaire in the world, net worth of 52,000,000,000 (52 Billion USDs). Lives in the United States, age 76 is the correct answer.
toughtrio
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
OMG! I Googled Forbes and 52,000,000,000 and the second result was this page, Razz Check it out...

Anways...

Warren Buffett, number two billionaire in the world, net worth of 52,000,000,000 (52 Billion USDs). Lives in the United States, age 76 is the correct answer.

OMG.. I knew this.. Crazy ppl in school publish those society newsletters, the economics one had it.. Oh noo....

Anyways. I'm pretty sure starwars won it. Be happy with ur precious 5 Fri$.

Warm Regards,
william
Sorry guys, I'm back, but not for long. I remain really busy. I should be free in just over a month. But, as always, it feels good to post here, at Frihost.

Anyhow, Star Wars Fanatic, you are correct! 6 Frih$ coming your way! I'll try to have the next one up soon.
Star Wars Fanatic
Woohoo!! 6 Frih$!! Thanks a lot!

And I can't wait for the next one! Post it soon, please Smile
william
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
And I can't wait for the next one! Post it soon, please Smile

Alright. Very Happy

Time for Round 14!

Code: 44694

Good luck everyone!
Star Wars Fanatic
ddfid

Couldn't come up with anything else at the moment Laughing
william
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
ddfid

Couldn't come up with anything else at the moment Laughing

Heh, alright. Just letting you guys know, this is a tough one. You may need to be a bit skillful in math as well. Very Happy (and be able to think way outside the box Wink ).
fx-trading-education
I would say DAVID

for D..ID it is obvious but for the A and V my explanation is
46 = 2*23 = bw
shift one rank = av

I admit that it's a bit strange but why not?
william
fx-trading-education wrote:
I would say DAVID

for D..ID it is obvious but for the A and V my explanation is
46 = 2*23 = bw
shift one rank = av

I admit that it's a bit strange but why not?

Interesting method. Glad to see you thinking way outside the box. Wink

But, that's still not it. Very Happy
william
C'mon guys, it's been about 20 days. Shocked

The work I've had these past couple of months has gone down significantly. In a week or two, I should be back to posting how I used to and back to normal stuff.

Anyhow, I don't know if this contest has been forgotten or if the code is impossible. So, I'll go ahead and give out a big hint. There are some basic mathematical operations you need to make. Once you do that, you'll get a number that will make things easier and significantly help you in cracking the code.

After two more attempts, I'll post what the functions are. (This should make it REALLY easy).

Good luck to all!
Star Wars Fanatic
Well, I hadn't forgotten about it, I just thought it was way to hard, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it Razz

Anyways, here's another crack at it... Rolling Eyes

I wasn't sure what basic calculations you were talking about, but I went with a few basic ones... But I didn't come up with anything Razz

However, here is a long shot in the dark Rolling Eyes

Number of divisors:
=
CCDCC

Which is 700 in Roman Numerals. In the year 700, Hesiod wrote the "Theogony", a poem, so my guess is Hesiod is the answer.

*Thinks*

Maybe...

*Thinks some more*

Possibly...

*Thinks even more*

Probably not...

*Thinks harder*

Definitely not... Wink
fx-trading-education
Star Wars Fanatic wrote:
Well, I hadn't forgotten about it, I just thought it was way to hard, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it Razz

Anyways, here's another crack at it... Rolling Eyes

I wasn't sure what basic calculations you were talking about, but I went with a few basic ones... But I didn't come up with anything Razz

However, here is a long shot in the dark Rolling Eyes

Number of divisors:
=
CCDCC

Which is 700 in Roman Numerals. In the year 700, Hesiod wrote the "Theogony", a poem, so my guess is Hesiod is the answer.

Nice idea.
For me C =100 and D =50 . So I don't know how you get 700
but anyway as it is a roman number I will say that the solution is

Roman Smile
endless
my stupid guess xD

4+4+9+6+4 = 27 and if you replace them with the letters of the alphabet u get bg = background Very Happy

i know im wrong xD
william
Well guys, I'm no longer as busy as I was these past few months, so I'll be able to post here a lot more now.

Anyway, none of those are correct.

So, here's the mathematical operation.

44694/365 = ?

(Using a remainder instead of a decimal may help).

Good luck!
TurkishGamer
44694/365 = 122r164
if you put numbers as letters (a=1, b=2, c=3)
You get the very meaningful combination saying:
abbrafd
Copy this into google and click search.
Google suggests the answer is abroad.
Google is never wrong. Very Happy

I think this code is way over my head. I have no clue how to do it.
william
Nope, that's not it. Razz

C'mon guys, this isn't very hard. I'll wait for two more guesses, after that, I'll put up the second hint.
panic15
Hmmmm scrap the r and u got abba fd (fd= for death?) lol

Im wrong i no
william
Nope, that's not it. Very Happy Remember, this is coded name; the answer will be the name of a person.

One more wrong answer, and I'll put up the next hint.
Star Wars Fanatic
Is the answer Abraham?
william
Not sure how you got that answer but that's not it.

So, here's the next hint (it should give it away): Old

Good luck everyone.
endless
is it santa?
william
Nope, that's not correct.

C'mon guys, that hint should have given it away. I'll wait maybe another 2-3 guesses then put up another hint.
fx-trading-education
I had an idea but it seems it's not correct
Anyway maybe it can help somebody:

as it was a division by 365 I thought it had to do with days.
Then we have 122 and 164.
It could be February 12 and April 16. ANd then the name coul correspond to name days.
But I don't know on which calendar.
I checked the US one 12/2 is Aleta and 16/4 is Malvina but I don't see anyconnection with "Old"
runereference
that was easy i think i got the answer

you took 122r164 and that means someone was 122 years old and 164 days
her name was Jeanne Louise Calment

hope i got it Smile

ps: my first time even trying a puzzle lol
panic15
You must have googled that. Sounds right though. Good job.
fx-trading-education
runereference wrote:
that was easy i think i got the answer

you took 122r164 and that means someone was 122 years old and 164 days
her name was Jeanne Louise Calment

hope i got it Smile

ps: my first time even trying a puzzle lol

Congratulations !

As a Frenchman I should have think about that .
TurkishGamer
How did you ever think of that?

I am just curious, did you actually calculate 44694/365 or did you look at the posts above?
runereference
since your curious il tell you

i looked at the post above, lol

hope i dont loose points for that lol

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
runereference
just a question
do we get frih$'s when we get the answer right???
if so i havent got mine

just wondering
Star Wars Fanatic
You'll get your Frih$ as soon as William comes back online, and he will also put up the next puzzle...
william
Well, I was repairing my home network, so I couldn't get online for two days. Congratulations runereference, you got the right answer! Good job! I'll have the next one up soon.
Captain Fertile
Shocked GOOD GRIEF!!! I see these are as brain-melting as ever. But it shows that if you get enough minds working together and long enough just about any code can be cracked (the hints helped too I guess).

Anyway, well done to the winner, now excuse me while I go mop up this nose bleed which started while I tried to work the last one out!!! Embarassed
william
OK guys, I'm back with the next code.

^ MATH X 7 ) x^-1

Good luck everyone!
Captain Fertile
EASY!!!!

Leonardo DiCaprio

This is how I got it:

If you type ^ MATH X 7 ) x^-1 using the font Webdings you get the following;

This clearly indicates the character of Jack played by LC in the movie Titanic and his exploits in the first half of the movie.

1) All speaking the cinema stops
2) The movie starts with the Logo for Paramount pictures
3) We See Titanic in dock
4) Jack has left his home to seek passage to America on Titanic
5) The horn on Titanic blows as the ship leaves harbour with Jack on Board
6) Jack has lunch (in steerage class it was probably sandwiches cut into nice triangles)
7) Jack talks to Rose
8 ) She turns him down in no uncertain terms
9) Eventually they get into mutual conversation
10) Jack sees Rose wearing just a necklace
11) He gets out his sketch pad and draws her in the ‘all together!”

Hows that for thinking outside the box?
william
One word, WOW. Your way of thinking outside the box never ceases to amaze me. That's really creative. Although the answer is wrong, great method. Very Happy
Captain Fertile
Glad you liked it, I hoped it might make someone smile. If I don't have the brains to make people gasp in awe at my brain power I may as well make them laugh (I think that is called hiding behind my humour).
william
Well, it's been well over a month since the last guess. Has this been forgotten, or is it just too hard? Well, I'll just go ahead and post the first hint.

Graphing

Good luck to all those playing. Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
A little bit of both, I think Razz

And I really have no clue, that didn't help me at all, but, I'm not a math person.
fx-trading-education
I also have no clue at all, because it is not a regular mathematical expression, so no possibility to make a graph of it, and I cannot figure out what to do with for instance the closing paranthesis when there is no open paranthesis.
So I guess that I will wait for more hints or the solution.
william
Well, I can tell you guys this. The hint "Graphing" has nothing to do with making a graph. Wink

After one guess, I'll post another hint.
william
As it has been over one year since we had the last response...I've decided to bring this back up with hopes to finish the current round and potentially move on to other rounds. Very Happy (that is if this gets enough interest).

The code is: ^ MATH X 7 ) x^-1

And the first hint was Graphing. And the new hint is TI.

This should give you guys an idea. Here's hoping some of the original players return. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go ahead and try to crack my own code. Embarassed
adri
err: argument Confused
william
Well guys, I can see that you guys are thinking of this code as a mathematical operation. Well, it isn't. Wink But the hint TI should be very helpful in figuring this out. Since this is going rather slowly, after one more guess I'll give you guys a hint that will definitely allow you to crack it.

Good luck!
adri
TI stands for Texas Instruments I think but if I type it in it gives an error Razz .

Greetz

Adri
william
Ah...but the characters won't make sense without Alpha. *Hint*

Cool
TomS
The Solution ist "H A R O L D"

I googled for the keybordlayout of a calculator of TI and found this: http://www.albion.edu/mathcs/MBollman/TI83+UV.gif

If you press the Alpha-key, you'll type the green letters over the key, which are given in the code.

^ = H
MATH = A
X =R
7 = O
) = L
x^-1 = D
william
Well that took over 15 months. Laughing Congratulations, you got it!

Since it took so long, I'll give you 2 Frih$ for every month. So, that's 30 Frih$ for you! Very Happy

Well, it looks like interest in this contest has shrunk down to almost nothing. So, unless this contest gets some interest, I'm probably not going to have another round.

Congratulations to TomS and all others who played! Cool
Gushe
I might have some interest in this. Smile