FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rich is what we aim for!

The-Nisk
No doubt a lot of people would like to be rich. It might not be the most important thing to them, but having money diffinetly helps in this life. My defenition of "rich" is : Having a sum of money that allows the person to quit job if desirible and live off the interest or the sum of money. Now for the reason you read this topic so far (probably) "How do I get rich?"
Unfortunately i do not posses the answer just yet, but
if we help each-other, we hopefully will, and you never know it just might work for you or/and me. The reply's that are desirable are "sugestions" and "advice".

Please no criticism, I am aware of the craziness of this idea. However it is the innitiative to do something, like this-that gets people to their goal. thank you all.
jeanoradean
It is a nice idea but why do you want to be rich? I'd rather not be rich since I've seen so many rich people but very few (if any) that were actually happy. On the other hand many of my friends are rather poor. I don't want to say that's easy because it isn't, but at least they're happy!
The-Nisk
You see the context of happyness depends on the person, it's what they value in life. Most rich people spent their lives working on their careers and education, so they missed out on the things that make life worth living, like freindships, love, party. I mean if you take that away just to be filthy rich, whats the point in the end of the day? The bigest thing about being rich is, life becomes too boring, you can aford anything you want, no need to work hard, because you have soo much money you doubt if the friends you have are there for the money or for you, same with love. "life's either a daring adventure or it is nothing", thats why most poor people are on average hapier than rich people, because their life is more of an adventure, there is unpredictability, survival. Too bad they cant realise that. Smile The reason i want to be rich is, i think i can avoid being "unhappy" and "bored", I mean there's always places to see, things to do, expiriences to expirience, all you ever is your imagination. So thats the main reason, besides if your rich you have influence to make the world a better place, do you not? I hope that answers your question.

P.S. This could be in the philosophy section, if so, i'm sorry admins move it if you think it be better. Smile
codelyokogirl
I do not think that richness really is the primary aim of each human, it is more a secondary aim, besides a few other steps that have to be taken to happiness, and still then we need to define richness more carefully.

A good base for the definition of what we really want is the Hierachy of Maslow.

You can see it here

Once we have the basics that we want, we can think about richness, but waht is richness?

For me richness does not have alot to do with monetary values, it is important to spend time with help and family. The smile that I get given back when I help somebody is richness for me, and you cannot buy that with any money in the world... well basically you can but that is not the idea of it...

So everybody should think for him-/herself about what is needed for richness and then life for it.
turbowolf
man is one kind of animal. So what we need is power and fortune and sex,Just like a dog or a orangutan. A male dog will pursue for a female dog, will piss at a pole to mark one area is belong to it. That's an appetence one animal should have. When a man hope that he will become rich. He is just pursuing fortune and sex like other animals.

codelyokogirl wrote:
I do not think that richness really is the primary aim of each human, it is more a secondary aim, besides a few other steps that have to be taken to happiness, and still then we need to define richness more carefully.

A good base for the definition of what we really want is the Hierachy of Maslow.

You can see it here

Once we have the basics that we want, we can think about richness, but waht is richness?

For me richness does not have alot to do with monetary values, it is important to spend time with help and family. The smile that I get given back when I help somebody is richness for me, and you cannot buy that with any money in the world... well basically you can but that is not the idea of it...

So everybody should think for him-/herself about what is needed for richness and then life for it.
roninmedia
codelyokogirl wrote:

You can see it here

The problem and idea of being rich is that it can be considered in all parts of the hierarchy of needs by different people.

Physiological: Most people only know of getting food and water from stores.

Safety: Money can buy you a safe car and keep yourself and your home safe.

Love/Belonging: Money can buy you love ("golddiggers"). Money can also give you belonging in a social-economic class.

Esteem: Having money gives you self esteem as you can dress better, look better, and its all about "keeping up with Joneses".

Self-Actualization: This is probably the least clear in defining the need for money to achieve this. Maybe with enough money, you have achieved everything else you need so you have time to self actualize. It's at the top of the hierarchy thinking it is the most selfish but it has the least greed/love of money.
deStructuralized
To the original poster, I agree with what you're saying but I think the word you're looking for is wealthy, not rich.

Being rich is having a lot of money at any given time...being wealthy is being able to live off of that money for an extended period of time.

There are plenty of rich people who will never be wealthy because the majority of their income goes to taxes, depreciating assets (think fancy automobiles), and unnecessary luxury goods. Having a source of positive cash flow is only one-half of the equation...whether you've ensured that this cash flow will continue to operate without your input is the other half.

Since we're talking about individual goals, Maslow doesn't really apply here. Nobody's trying to develop a theory on happiness that applies to all of society, just what they feel they personally need.

Moreover, I would contend that using Maslow's heirarchy of needs (or any other generalized theory on human nature) as a basis for understanding yourself is inherently detrimental to "self-actualization." One of the factors in the uppermost portion of the pyramid reads, "creativity," doesn't it? Wink
SGbilder
Happy is what I'm going for!

And if that means to be rich/wealthy, which is the case quite often, I want to be rich. But I think health is a major question in this. If I'm not healthy in any way, I'm not happy.
Cibes
I think there are many things much more important than money! You might not be able to do all you want if you don't have money, but just the fact of being rich can't make you happy either.
roninmedia wrote:
Love/Belonging: Money can buy you love ("golddiggers"). Money can also give you belonging in a social-economic class.

I don't know what you mean with the term "golddiggers", but if somebody will love you for your money or only accepts you as a friend if you have a certain wealth, I'm not so sure if those are the kind of friends I would want. People with much money tend to be selfish and just look for more, while many poor people have other values like family or honesty which makes than superior friends and happier people!
The-Nisk
If I ever get rich, my values of happiness will still stay the same. I know how it feels to be poor, I won't forget. thanks for the concern though Wink

So any Ideas for a business anyone? Cool
KellaDayne
it's often not a wish to be reah, but just to have enough money not to put your hands back in the shop while walking along good quality products...
for others it's really importaint - to be reach, to have things, that others don't, do live in laxury...
jipmerite
Being rich and being happy are interliked. One cannoty be completely happy without some level of financial stability. One might not want all the most expensive things in life and dine on lobsters everytime. But the world runs on money. Even if one is happy to live a simple life, money is still needed of education of the children, health services, utilities etc.

Personally I do not want to be filthy rich. I do not want billions in the bank while I know millions of people elsewhere are starving. But neither do I want to constantly worry about next months bills. But then I do not want to not have to work because I do not need to. WOrk can bring a level of self satisfaction that money cannot.

I merely want to be affluent. Not rich. Have enough money to be comfortable, not enough for it to be a burden in itself.
evilryu530
i think what the person that created the thread means rich, money, do whatever the heck u want, no one to boss u around, buy whatever without looking at the price....do what ever hobbies you wish at your liesure and time....that what i want.....fawk everytghing else..
ColdFire
This is supposed to be the original topic peeps! "How Do I Get Rich?"...
Ive read so many OFF topic posts merely saying that "you dont have to be rich to be happy"... duh! please start a new thread...

anyway here a link to Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Ive read it several times and its very informative about the matter. Wink