FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Site Addon: RSS Feed

Ratmaster
Shouldn't someone here (a staff member) make an RSS feed for some users who may not always be around? Like people going on vacations, etc.
wumingsden
Ratmaster wrote:
Shouldn't someone here (a staff member) make an RSS feed for some users who may not always be around? Like people going on vacations, etc.

Firstly, if a RSS feed was used, it wouldn't really benefit members away. Instead it would benefit members at frihost, but not on the actual site at that particular time, (for example like me) who would more than likely use a RSS frihost feed.

What I'm trying to say is if members are away for while and they cannot visit frihost then they also cannot use a RSS feed. If they can use a RSS feed then there is no excuse for them not to come to frihost

So, yes, a RSS feed is a good suggestion (there in fact used to be one here at frihost and it has been suggested before [having difficulty finding it though]) and it is really, really, simple to implement. Whether Bondings does though is a different thing altogether.

I'll leave this open so Steve can say for once and for all whether it definitly will not happen.

(P.S - sorry for the rambling, for some reason I've lost all knowledge of how to structure a post.
Ratmaster
Well, most of them are good points, but isn't it possible to get RSS on cell phones? I know it may sound stupid but I don't have a cell phone so correct me if I'm wrong.
wumingsden
Ratmaster wrote:
Well, most of them are good points, but isn't it possible to get RSS on cell phones? I know it may sound stupid but I don't have a cell phone so correct me if I'm wrong.

I can access actual sites on my phone, although there are usually compatibility problems (they have to be made by wap, not html). I've never seen an option yet though to recieve RSS feeds but it may be possible.

One thing I forgot to mention was that although it is not a moderators duty to report a users absenses, most members of staff do open up an information ticket concering away users (if there is a good enough reason [this is decided by the member of staff in question]).

One thing I don't understand is if the user is away from frihost, but use RSS feeds, then they still cannot post. If the whole idea of RSS feeds is to help away users then another feature would have to be implemented - converting the frihost forum to be wap-enabled so users can also post.
billybob
wumingsden wrote:

I can access actual sites on my phone, although there are usually compatibility problems (they have to be made by wap, not html). I've never seen an option yet though to recieve RSS feeds but it may be possible.

Yeah it is possible I receive RSS feeds for BBC news on my phone.
socialoutcast
It sounds this idea was beaten into the ground by wumingsden, I would like to place my vote in for an RSS feed. Here is why.

It doesn't matter if someone is away or not, but I think it would be cool receive the latest updates on any chosen topic straight to my favorite desktop RSS news reader. And then when a topic is updated, the RSS reader goes out and checks that topic and notifies me of the update.

Then if I choose to post to that topic, I can click the link in my RSS reader and it'll take me right to that topic then and all I need to do login and post away.

This would solve two annoyances:
1) For those who like to keep your web browser open to frihost for convinces, your can then post away on another topic and still receive updates on another topic.
2) If you browser is closed, the RSS link in your news reader will navigate to the freshly updated topic so that you would have to hunt, search and wear out your mouse mouse button finding the topic.
Manofgames
I suggested this a long time ago, but the topic was closed by Animal Evil or Very Mad
I think that frihost should have an RSS feed, not only for away users, but for active users too.
I'm not always on frihost, but I'd like to recieve updates about new posts/topics on the forum, so that I don't have to go topic hunting through all the forums (or wait for phpbb to find new topics through search).

@Wumingsden, yes it is possible to recieve RSS feeds on phones, Mobizines Allows you to recieve RSS updates on your Java enabled phone.
It is also possible to actually post, and surf frihost on your phone, using Opera mini which also has an RSS feed reader.
Wumingsden wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention was that although it is not a moderators duty to report a users absenses, most members of staff do open up an information ticket concering away users (if there is a good enough reason [this is decided by the member of staff in question]).

Do you mean that mods can leave a note on peoples accounts to say they've been inactive for a while, and that they shouldn't be 'kicked'? Question