FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Loud music

Loud or quiet music?
Loud
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
A bit of both!
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Quiet
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

joholland84
Hey everyone

Here's a good question for you all! Why do people like loud music? Personally I kinda like it but I hate the ringing in your ears after a night out which then prevents any sleep later on no matter how drunk you may be. Apparantly the ringing is a pitch of your hearing that you have just killed!!! I guess its like marmite, you either love it or hate it!

Jo
legion
i don't think you can listen to electronic music if it isn't loud Laughing
Magicman
Personally I don't like loud music. It takes away from it. Actually I don't like the genres that need to be blasted so loud.
falco211
It depends on what kind of music I'm listening to. If I like the song a lot I'd put up the volume and if it's just a song I normally listen to I'd just put down the volume.
Srs2388
I listen to rock, and love it loud as i can get it, in my old room i had a 1000watt surround sound system and an extra sub that is 250watts... then another 12inch MTX sub hooked up to the receiver and i had 6 surround speakers.
This thing was so loud the police came to my house and told me to turn it down or they would fine me for disturbing the 'peace'.
I can't help it to me the louder the better
SnowAlart
i dont like loud, too.
but i dont listen to the kind of songs that are loud, so its not a problem.
SimonWSTS
There is something vey satisfying about loud music. For instance, in a club loud music kind of gets you into the groove and makes you feel good. If they played the usic quieter it just wouldnt have the same effect. People wouldn't notice it so much and the whole mood would be different.

That's why I think loud music is good.
studsstudio
loud music makes you hearing the base and rythm better. and of course those vibes are liked by most people.

but real good music is in my opinion also good when it is not loud.
I can highly appreciate music with a complicated but strong melody. Jazz for instance has this. with not so loud base and drums jazz is still nice to listen to.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Most music is better when it is loud, you can hear the sound better.
But I mosly tries to listen to music with a low volume because I am afraid of damaging my ears..
deStructuralized
I listen to my music at a low volume.

Most music is overcompressed nowadays. When you listen to your music really loudly, it's not just the volume that ends up fatiguing the ears--it's the dense, lack of dynamics in a lot of modern tracks.
anxiety1
the louder it is the better it sounds!
engeland
It is essential to crank up the volume when your listening to some detail of the song. Just like in the studio Wink
achene
Well generally i think its ok with loud music at concerts an such, but in bars and discos i find the loud techno very annoying and disturbing. It kinda ruins the nice atmosphere, cause you can't really talk to each other without shouting but of cause its good when dancing and such.
trumnation
Loud is the only way to listen to music especially club music, although there has to be a limit to how loud. Some clubs these days play music way too loud. I think that if when you walk out the front door of a club, and its quiet outside and you can't hear the person next to you because your ears are ringing the music is way too loud. Also when all you can hear is bass, then it is way too loud.
Blu_Spykz
Never thought about it before Confused

I listen to loud music to drain out the world - the louder the better.

I listen to alt. rock and "nu-metal". You can't really listen to that quiet though.
deStructuralized
engeland wrote:
It is essential to crank up the volume when your listening to some detail of the song. Just like in the studio Wink

lol

Not quite like the studio.

Most engineers listen to the music they're working on at MODERATE to LOW levels and only give the track ONE loud listen after everything's been balanced out and mixed properly.
Scott
I like my hearing. I like loud music too, but I would hope to have good hearing for my whole life.
joholland84
Hey guys, I got loads of replies from my original message on loud music! It's so exciting!!! I'm going to see if I can set up a poll thingy so if you could all go to the poll when it's created and put your preferences in there that would be great!

Wow I cant believe how many people have replied, the most replies i've ever had since joining in september ish is prob 5!

Anyway thanks for you replies and look out for the poll!

Jo
joholland84
Hey everyone

I have already posted a similar message to this but I had so many replies that I thought i'd do my very first poll. I'm very excited so please give me your opinions!

The reason I started the original message for loud music was because in a way I like loud music but I prefer to actually listen to the music and I also hate the ringing in your ears after a night out which is apparantly a pitch in your hearing that you have just killed! So pleaseeeee lots of people do this poll hehe!

Thanks everyone and Happy Days!

Jo
joholland84
Hey again everyone

There's still only one vote and thats from me! have I done it right? If it doesn't work and people cant vote can someone please let me know and tell me how to do it properly! Thanks again everyone!

Jo
Tatsumaru
I love both aggressive, insane metal songs and peaceful metal ballads. I prefer the first though, haha.
shrinkwrap
Most of the music I listen to is ment to be listened to in the middle-volume range, but listening to some good happy hardcore techno loud is amazing. Smile Most of the time, I listen quietly though.
budazz
i love loud music when im awake...like early in the morning it start my day....but when i want to sleep i love to hear relaxing instrumental music....
dac_nip
generally, it depends on the time. there's a use for each type. will it matter of you prefer one? nah.. i dont think so. Very Happy
Nutteloos
Loud music is okay at times. Soft music is too. Totally depends on the kind of mood you're in. For me, the number of people around you is also a factor. Listening to *loud* music in buses, trains, etc. is just rude, and as such I wouldn't turn up the volume (too) much in there.

Overall, I much more enjoy music that has both loud and quiet elements, it makes it that more dynamic.
Ljugaren
I voted "a bit of both". It's much more nice to listen to loud music, but that isn't good for your ears.
orizak
Yeah I like loud music but I like soft music just as much. For me it really depends on the song, so if the song is really hard I'll listen to it louder but otherwise I'll listen to it quieter. Hypnotize and Radio/Video by SOAD are two of my favorite dynamic songs where I sometimes turn the volume up and down while listening to them Razz
7Pound7
raise the volume and a quiet music can get loud i guess. listening to Bach at volume 10 is not an easy job. But listening to panterra at minimum volume is a pain in the ass.
The Mitchell
deStructuralized wrote:
engeland wrote:

lol

Not quite like the studio.

Most engineers listen to the music they're working on at MODERATE to LOW levels and only give the track ONE loud listen after everything's been balanced out and mixed properly.

Aye the way it should be done. Although saying that you go to a club and manage to talk over the music without a thought then it would be pretty lame. Unfortunately as destructuralized said most 'pop' music these days is compressed beyond all belief. It takes out all the dynamic which imo is probably one of the most important parts of the structure of any song. Without it you lose so much.
glabase
depends on the situation. i like it loud when i'm driving - it helps me take my mind of the road (which is exactly what i want!) especially when it's good rock chόnz.

prefer to turn the dial down when it comes to chillout n that (obviously). Very Happy
ddukki
Car music is good loud. Home music is good soft, soulful R&B. Of course, night driving is perfect with the right R&B song, too. I just feel weird playing loud music in the house.
ashok
SnowAlart wrote:
i dont like loud, too.
but i dont listen to the kind of songs that are loud, so its not a problem.

same here Smile
deStructuralized
Loud music is actually the worst in cars (and especially airplanes)

Most people will turn their music up to drown out outside noises, like, the engine humming, the wheels rolling on the ground, and the wind hitting the car. The problem is, if the car is creating this much noise in the first place...and then you add your music on top of that so you can hear it, or so that you can hear it really loudly...it's almost like doubling the intensity of sound your ears have to deal with. The music doesn't cancel out the noise, it's just louder than it.

Not lecturing anyone, just explaining why I tend to keep music at a low volume in the car. A lot of times I feel very tempted to turn music up, especially when I want to feel the bass bump, but I try to avoid this most of the time.
Ducksteina
There's just nothing better than hearing good Metal at a high volume: the bass feels like someone kicked you into your stomach, you can't stop headbanging and you 'feel' the music.
However, sometimes I really prefer quiet music. When I want to sleep or simply relax...
unknown_talent
Srs2388 wrote:
I listen to rock, and love it loud as i can get it, in my old room i had a 1000watt surround sound system and an extra sub that is 250watts... then another 12inch MTX sub hooked up to the receiver and i had 6 surround speakers.
This thing was so loud the police came to my house and told me to turn it down or they would fine me for disturbing the 'peace'.
I can't help it to me the louder the better

That's true i also listen to rock and i like to make it really loud!
Chalchihuitlicue
I prefer loud music, especially when I'm gaming or driving. It helps keep me from zoning out. Laughing However, when I say that I like "loud" music, I don't mean concert-loud music that causes ringing in your ears. In my opinion, that's too loud. I just like it loud enough to feel the vibrations of all the sounds, and loud enough that my voice mingles well volume-wise when I'm singing along. I don't tend to play my music as loud in my apartment out of respect for my neighbors and roommates.
Andrew426
I Love Loud music.

My mate josh is a sound engineer, and while he was setting up a P.A. one afternoon he was telling me about volume and the like. From what I can remember, it all comes down to the type of room the music is being played in, the amount of people who are gonna be in the room, how large it is, what materials are the walls/ceiling/floor made of, where the audiance are standing (bass is often louder in corners) as well as what kind of mixers/amps/speakers you have to work with. I cant remember what else he said, but he pointed out to me that all the rock bars in town (there are only 2 or 3, its a pretty small town) are in basements of older buildings, which have concrete floors, brick walls, and heavy beams across the ceilings - which apparently improves their acoustics.
joholland84
Hey guys

Thanks for all your messages, it's sooooo exciting that people actually replied to my poll thing!!! I bet you can tell I haven't done a poll before!? The comments are all great though especially the last from Andrew426 which all sounds really interesting, who would have thought there was so much about where you play the music to how it sounds.

Thanks again guys and keep posting!

Jo
Dr Carruthers
A bit of both, I guess. If I need the music as a background, it should not be very loud. But if I want to concentrate on the music, it has to be loud, to close out everything else.

Also, jumping around my room, shouting the lyrics to some loud song is the best way to relax Mr. Green