FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't Install Windows on New HD

peaceninja
My Samsung harddrive was failing on my laptop, so I purchased a Hitachi harddrive (ATA) to replace it.

Whenever I try to install windows using my Windows OS Install CD, it gives me this error:

c00002210 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

I'm confident that there's nothing wrong with how I physically installed the harddrive and also there are no defects, since I've just successfully installed Linux on this hd to test it out. I am clueless as to why I'm getting this error message.

Some extensive searches led me to believe that I may need to reformat the harddrive myself instead of depending on the install CD. I've reformatted the HD using BootIt NG, formatting it to FAT-32, however this error still pops up.

Any suggestions on how I can get past this and successfully install windows? I would not be windows otherwise if it weren't for the fact I need to use Remote Desktop to access my work computer. Many thanks,
The3dx
This Help is from Microsoft Support...

Error Message: STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error or STOP: C0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 101096
Last Review : October 31, 2006
Revision : 2.1
This article was previously published under Q101096
SYMPTOMS
The following STOP message appears when a critical system file or other file needed to load Windows is corrupted:
STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
<path>\<file name>
Alternatively, the error may read as follows:
STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error
c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll (or other specific file/driver)
In Windows 2000 the error reads as follows:
STOP: 0xC0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
<path>\<file name>
This error can appear in many different formats, ranging from a blue system error screen to a dialog box. The type of format depends on how much of the operating system was loaded when the corrupted file was detected.

CAUSE
If you receive this error message, the file listed in the error message is corrupted.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, you need to either obtain a new copy of the file or reinstall Windows. If reinstallation fails to solve the problem, a hardware or network problem may exist.

MORE INFORMATION
The files that are checked for integrity when Windows starts are: All drivers (except those loaded by the system loader to boot the system)
All dynamic link libraries (DLLs), including USER, GDI, SHELL, KERNEL, NTDLL, CRTDLL, etc.
All DLLs loaded into the address space of the Windows server (video drivers, printer drivers, etc.)
This error message can be caused when you install an inappropriate driver for your hardware. For example, this error would appear if you installed a MIPS driver on an X86-based computer.

i think it can help you...
the orginal file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101096
Jaan
Have you formatted (not quick, full)?
tuncay
What I recommend is the following steps:

1) try a new cable, a different one, probably you can try swapping your hdd and cd/dvd-rom drive

if this does not work

2) Update the BIOS and try again.

if still not

3) format the drive in full and try again.

Good luck
peaceninja
Jaan: how do I reformat the harddrive? Do you have any software you suggest? I'm using BootIt NG, since the Windows Install CD will not get past this error message.

tuncay: new cable? I don't even know where to begin looking for this inside my laptop. How do I go about finding out what type of cable? Also, you tell me to update the BIOS, how do I "update"? I press F2 at bootup and see that the BIOS recognizes the new hitachi harddrive (since in the bootup section it is looking at this hd as a second boot device) so I do not know what to "update". Thanks,
jamie
if ur harddrive is external harddrive never try to build xp there. because it doesn't.but if u bought a new internal harddrive and want to built xp there.only formating and loading xp will help u.
ronald.helpdesk
man, stop fooling around, linux creates a lot of partitions, for all kind of stuff, start the computer in dos mode, or with your os cd, delete all the partitions, create new partitions, format it (full format) and try again, there're some cases when even after doing such a thing the damn boot manager from linux appears from time to time.
orno
i think its more a problem of your windows installation cd
try obtain another one (if you have a legal key, well and good, just borrow someones xp install cd and use your key)
Jaan
Yeah, probly the XP cd is scratched or something. Borrow a friends, and find your key at the back of your box.
peaceninja
Jaan's original response was helpful and also reflective of my research online...I did a low-level format and that did the trick! Kind of weird that the windows install needed this done but I think the windows install does not have the capability to do a low-level format.

I used BootIt NG to do this. Many thanks everyone

</close>
corey
This shows a perfect example as to why every piece of hardware should have a small install guide with it. I don't know how many times that I've looked at a new product and seen the worst or most inadequate installation documentation. In this case, Hitachi could have included one short sheet with the two or three steps involved in getting the drive to workable state. I'm glad that you discovered it yourself and got things working.
Handyman
I just had this problem also. I fooled with it for hours before I tried using FDisk and erased the master boot record on the hd allong with all the partitions. I started the install and it worked without the error.