FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

routers and IP addresses

mike_phi
Hi there, I am playing around with a bit of web site development and have setup my lapttop with Apache web server..

I would like to get a freind at another location to view the website I am working on while it is running on my laptop as a webserver.

the problem is I have my laptop connected to a router on my home network so as far as ips goes it looks something like this

..........................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................
........................................................ROUTER.................................................................
..........................................................| IP 1 |..............................................................
...................... IP at wall....................| IP2 |<---------------------< LAPTOP > ...........
...........Ethernet (at wall)----------->| IP3 | ...........................With Apache Running
...........................................................| IP4 |...............................Hosting my dev Site
...........................................................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................................................

Do I just give my freind IP2 or IP at walll, the thing is I can view my web page from within my home network when I connect with my desktop which is on IP1, All I do to vew the site from within my home network is pass IP2 and the path to the site and I see it but I am nt to sure if this internal Ip from the router can be viewed from out side.

cheers Miic
Hogwarts
mike_phi wrote:
Hi there, I am playing around with a bit of web site development and have setup my lapttop with Apache web server..

I would like to get a freind at another location to view the website I am working on while it is running on my laptop as a webserver.

the problem is I have my laptop connected to a router on my home network so as far as ips goes it looks something like this

| IP 1 |
IP at wall | IP2 |<---------------------< LAPTOP >
Ethernet (at wall)-----------> IP3 | With Apache Running | IP4 | Hosting my dev Site
| |

Do I just give my freind IP2 or IP at walll, the thing is I can view my web page from within my home network when I connect with my desktop which is on IP1, All I do to vew the site from within my home network is pass IP2 and the path to the site and I see it but I am nt to sure if this internal Ip from the router can be viewed from out side.

cheers Miic

First, on your laptop work out what the IP address is (Use ipconfig or whatever, but make sure that it's static)

Then, goto http://www.portforward.com and look up your modem in portforwarding. Then, scroll down to http, which is what you need to forward to the IP address of your laptop.

Goto http://www.whatsmyip.org. Up the top it will tell you what your external IP address is.

Give that IP to your friend, and they should be able to view what is being hosted on your webserver.

Make sure to use a firewall on your laptop.
dac_nip
you need to do the following

1) check your IP address from the net. google it.
2) open the port of your router to all ip address. the configuration depends on what kind of router you have
3) be sure all firewalls are disabled.

hope that helps. i assume you know how to do it.
TheGeek
You shouldn't disable your firewall, especially if you are hooked to the internet as a server! Just make sure your firewall is not blocking any incoming port 80 requests.
djclue917
mike_phi wrote:

........................................................ROUTER.................................................................
..........................................................| IP 1 |..............................................................
...................... IP at wall....................| IP2 |<---------------------< LAPTOP > ...........
...........Ethernet (at wall)----------->| IP3 | ...........................With Apache Running
...........................................................| IP4 |...............................Hosting my dev Site

cheers Miic

I'll make this as detailed as possible

1. Take note of the IP address of the network interface of the router which is connected to the Internet. Most of the time, if you're using DSL, this interface is called ppp0. If the router is the default gateway of your network and if you are using Windows, just do an ipconfig to be able to find out the address of the default gateway (router).

2. Enable the router's port forwarding feature (if it's not enabled yet). This is what should be done: All incoming packets for port 80 of the router (ppp0) should be forwarded (it means that it has to come out from the router's ethernet interface, e.g. eth0) to your internal IP address (ethernet interface) at whatever port you like, e.g. port 80.

3. Make sure that Apache "knows" where to "listen" for requests. If you decided to port forward packets to your machine at a different port, i.e. not port 80, you should make sure you change Apache's configuration to listen at that port.

4. If your router has advanced firewalling capabilities, e.g. blocking port ranges, banning certain IP addresses, etc., and you want to "open" your website to the world, enable all incoming connections at the router's port 80 (RISKY). However, if you want to give access only to your friend, only allow incoming connections at port 80 from your his/her IP address.
mike_phi
Thanx very much for the info, and thanx for the detail, I will have a look into this and post any further queries or difficulties/questions back here

cheers for now

Mic