FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dry scalp/ Dandruff. help me please.

zealious
Hello,

I have med length straight hair. Although my hair is healthy and I never get split ends.. I am an occasional suffer of dandruff.

I have tried many products.
Even the anti fungal Nizoral to no avail.
Vitamin E...

It gets bad sometimes. Even my eye brow and sideburns get it.. Its very annoying..

My question was if anyone knew of anything that worked for them?
indianinworld
Probably you may need to visit a good and qualified daermatoelogist...
DaComboMan
Age may have a part to play in this.

Do you have back problems?
Why? Well, i have a pinched nerve in the 6th vertebrae and it turns out it is responsible for psoriasis problem in the scalp.

Your problem may be alltogether different, but it's just to tell you that it can be the result of a complex problem.
Teddy1
Tea Tree Oils work. Smile I use a tea tree oil based shampoo and it works a treat. It's not extremely high but it's a good product i would recommend you try this before forking out alot of money for something that may not be needed. Smile
spazbutt32
Dandruff.

Usually either a fungal infection, a symptom of head lice, psoriasis or Seborrhoeic dermatitis will cause it.

A common antifungal is Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil as mentioned above) in roughly 5% solution. Dandruff caused by lice or psoriasis usually is cleared up by the treatment of the parent condition.. as for seborrhoeic dermatitis, well. That one's caused most commonly by the yeast Malassezia furfur and is treated either by ketoconazole (Nizoral), or anything containing zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, coal tar or alpha-hydroxy acids.

You might also be just mistaking dried shampoo for skin flaking, so rinse your hair a bit more thoroughly if you're not 100% sure it's dandruff first.
sanjeevreddyk
indianinworld wrote:

Why? Well, i have a pinched nerve in the 6th vertebrae and it turns out it is responsible for psoriasis problem in the scalp.

Your problem may be alltogether different, but it's just to tell you that it can be the result of a complex problem.
leaningforward
Wow I have never heard about this. That's soo interesting!

sanjeevreddyk wrote:
indianinworld wrote:

DaComboMan
leaningforward wrote:
Wow I have never heard about this. That's soo interesting!

sanjeevreddyk wrote:
indianinworld wrote:

I've been trying to find the info. found on the web but have failed so far.
The other thing is, i was diagnosed with Mercury poisoning many years ago and couldn't believe it at the time. It was apparently responsible for my pinched nerve (clinically proven). Turns out i had 100 times the amount of Mercury in the blood system.
melissareich
I have used head and shoulders shampoo for this reason, but I'm not certain if it really works. Have you ever tried it?
farmboyjoe
Head and Shoulders is the way to go. Get the citrus splash and youll smell like a dream. It's a sure snow stopper.
prilly_baby
yeah i would suggest head and shoulders. they have this new thing now where you take a strip test and see if you have dandruff?? well I guess its no brainer if you see the flakes on your shirt.lol go consult a dermatologist if it is that bad.
Rico
First I would just like to say that I sympathize with your affliction. My head itches just reading your post. I think you best bet is to go see a pro.
Captain Fertile
I find using a good medicated anti-dandruff shampoo does the trick. Head and Shoulders is good for me because it usually clears up after the first wash - but not always.

I choose a medicated anti-dandruff shampoo with menthol because you can actually feel the shampoo working.

The important thing to remember is to apply the shampoo and actively massage it into the scalp for 5 minutes, don't just slap it on, rub it for a second and leave it.

You must be sure the shampoo must be massaged INTO the scalp not just left to sit on the scalp for five minutes.

Once I have finished I rinse with warm water, repeat the apllication and massage and then leave it for 10-15 minutes before rinsing a final time with warm CLEAN water.

This extra effort should make a difference. Plus when you spend so long massaging the shamppo in you actually need to use less shampoo.

So choose a good one like Head and Shoulders (T-Gel i supposed to be good too if you can get it but I have never tried it personally).

I also know people who use malt vinegar to massage into their scalp and swear by it.
raaeft1
my barber gave me a formula recently to solve my dandruff problem especially in winters.
He advised me to apply hair oil---any will do---at night and rub it deeply into the scalp and sleep and shampoo next morning.
Another quick method is to apply plenty of hair oil ten minutes before shampooing the hair.
And it works.
Bluedoll
Another thing that works is aloe. Just apply and leave. It makes your hair look spike but if your not going out it really helps your skin anywhere. Also tea tree oil but its really expensive.
Velius
Thanks for the information and hope it can also help other people with the same problems[/url]
menino
sanjeevreddyk wrote:
indianinworld wrote:

Wow, even I'm amazed by this information.

From my side, I've noticed that if I eat oily foods and junk food for too long, then my dandruff starts to form; so I guess diet plays an influence.

But I use pantene pro-v anti-dandruff shampoo, and I dont get much dandruff.
Try Clinic All Clear... or in some countries its called "Clear" anti-dandruff shampoo.
Hope that helps for you.