FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chocolate!

loyal
Peace be upon you.

I'm an addict. No not addicted to cocaine, but chocolate. Here's my horrifying story Sad . Please don't read it if you have a weak heart. (NOTE: i am not responsible for any deaths or sucides that might occur from reading this story):

"well it's a horrible story...
it all started one sunday afternoon, when my mother said to me
that i should go deliever some apples to my grandmother who was not well
so i went there and met a wolf
who told me that apples were bad for you
and he replaced the apples with special chocolate
this chocolate had an addictive substance which is very rare and only found in special places
apparently it's called sugar but i'll need to get a scholar to check tha
that..anyway so i ate one along the way to my grandmother's house
i was instantly addicted."

Is anyone else here addicted to chocolate? Please tell me your story.

may God bless you.
izimngcubes15
I looooove chocolate Smile
coolclay
I have that problem too, but its not the sugar that I am addicted to it is the cocoa, it actually contains several other addictive compounds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/chocolate/addictive2.shtml
hlavco
I like chocolate a lot. I don't care whether it has sugar or cocoa or whatever, it just tastes good. No "story" behind it or anything. I like dark chocolate the best, but milk is good. White chocolate is only good when it's in, like, those Hershey's Cookies'n'Cream bars. Otherwise I don't like it that much.
Madic
I am addicted to reeses, the peanut butter is awesome Razz
loyal
no stories of how you got addicted people?

may God bless you all!
THEemu
No stories, just addicted. Actually, cocaine has a similar ingredient to chocolate, the coca leaf. That's why it's addicting.

JK
coolclay
Actually coca, and cocoa are 2 completely different plants. Wow people actually think cocaine and chocolate are related lol.
Teddy1
No coca leaf included here it was the cocoa bean grinded down to powder and then something else lol... i just remember that from a visit to a chocolate factory once Smile when i was young. Very very young. But yes i do too loveeeeeee chocolate
THEemu
coolclay wrote:
Actually coca, and cocoa are 2 completely different plants. Wow people actually think cocaine and chocolate are related lol.

Quote:
Actually, cocaine has a similar ingredient to chocolate, the coca leaf. That's why it's addicting.

JK

Umm... JK means just kidding.
Ducksteina
I like chocolate, but it is by far not my favourite candy...
neji
I looooveee chocolate. And i am from Belgium...

--> BELGIAN CHOCOLATE! Whiiihihihihihi Very Happy
Tatsumaru
Err, I try to avoid any type of candy or processed food... including chocolate. The only things I consume that resemble chocolate are chocolate flavored whey protein and cacao powder, which I throw into my oatmeal.

So yeah, that kind of chocolate rocks.
Aimewitue
we all love CHOCOLATE^^ specially white chocolate for me
shwetanshu
i love chocolates... who doesnt??? Laughing
dizel
I like chocolate Very Happy
Davidgr1200
I used to be addicted to chocolate, but then I got a job in a chocolate factory. There we were allowed to eat as much chocolate as we liked (but were not allowed to take any of the premises). After a couple of months of this I got fed up with chocolate and left the factory. So if you want to kick the habit, that's the solution.
Ray Gravin
I've been keeping chocolate addiction under control for a wile now. I don't really have any interesting stories to tell about how I got hooked. I guess it was the typical thing to eat. My parents gave it to me as a child etc etc. I don't let it rule my existence but I have been known to throw down on a bag of oreos : ) Especially when Im not feeling to happy. We all need our vice no?
Alias
Sorry guys I don't really like chocolates. Mainly because its bad for my health and I'm allergic on it. Sad
alwom
I dont really have a story, I just love Chocalate, specially chocalate milk. andything chocalate with nuts is just heavenly, LOL
Tuxy
I like white chocolate with some malibu Very Happy
David_Pardy
I mostly eat m&ms.

They are awesome!

I have eaten probably a thousand kilos of m&ms since 1998... Lemme think, that would be 4000 packs of 250g each over 8 years.... 500 packs per year... Ok now that's definitely not correct Wink probably closer to a tenth of that Very Happy
alissavb
:O Chocolate is a wonderful thing, isn't it? I don't have a story really, I just remember going to bed one night and then waking up the next day suddenly addicted to it. Wink Milk chocolate is my favorite type... and my favorite brands are Dove and Hersheys. Oh man, now I want some right now. :'(
loyal
Alias wrote:
Sorry guys I don't really like chocolates. Mainly because its bad for my health and I'm allergic on it. Sad

You're allergic to chocolate? Which bit to it exactly?

You're allergic to chocolate?! What's wrong with you?!

Hahaha lol jk
ehab
oh my :S

chocolate is fun .. right .. but since i m overweight Razz and not much cash around .. i aint having no chocolate ever since a long time Sad ..
HalfBloodPrince
I was addicted to this brand of bubblegum which i thought has ecstacy in it since I was addicted and my tongue started vibrating when I would smell it.

Sad I stopped chewing that gum...
Aless
Is this really a whole thread about chocolate? Sweet! (haha, a pun)

The bad (good) thing about Christmas is the insane amount of chocolate around the house, since everyone puts out their Christmas candy to share. So much for trying to be healthy - this is what new year's is for!
nilsmo
I used to be addicted to chocolate, but I stopped the addiction by making sure I was near the computer more Razz
Crazy_Canuck
I have some questions that all you chocoholics might be able to answer:

1) Is white chocolate really chocolate?

2) What IS the Caramilk secret?

3) True or false: cocoa powder is a traditional ingredient in chili con carne

4) What is the appropriate wine to serve with chocolate?

5) Which flavour match with chocolate is best and why: mint-chocolate or raspberry-chocolate?

I welcome all input. These are important questions!!! I will come back and provide the "correct" answers shortly. Good luck to all of you.
Kaisonic
Chocolate's okay, but in large doses, I don't like it. It starts to burn my mouth and throat, which is weird, and I'm probably allergic, even though it's never happened in the past. I dunno. I just tend to stay away from it unless I have something to wash it down with (or am eating it with something else, like a strawberry or something - THAT's good).
ashen
I like chocolate. I'm very very like it. Especially a chocolate with milk and almond. Maybe I'm addicted to chocolate too.
Danomite
chocolate is one of those things that I liek a bit of...but then I get grossed out real quick
Alias
loyal wrote:
Alias wrote:

You're allergic to chocolate? Which bit to it exactly?

You're allergic to chocolate?! What's wrong with you?!

Hahaha lol jk

Yea, I'm really allergic to chocolates and I don't know why... Mad

What happen to me when I eat chocolates is that my skin will have so many red dots. Confused
pedrothelion
Yeah, that seems to be the most common allergic reaction to food that I've heard of. I wonder if that's why they, they being the media, said chocolate causes zits and skin problems..? Rolling Eyes
Crazy_Canuck
Re, the Chocolate Quiz up there ^.

Let me "sweeten" (pardon the pun) the pot: there's $10 FRIH$ in it for anyone who can get all the correct answers. Question 5) is a subjective "essay"-type question (couple of sentences will do!), which I will use to break any ties.

If there are enough responses, I might give second and third place awards ($5 FRIH and $3 FRIH respectively).

Good Luck, Chocoholics! Let's Play!
sbjafri
chocolate is the best, i dont know ny one who doesnt like it
r_y_e_20
My girlfriend is very addicted to chocolate. She wants me to bring her home black chocolates and shell start to eat it as soon as i hand it to her non-stop. I dont know what makes women so addicted to this one.
mialynavahy
hot chocolate... delllllllllllllicious
Rako
I'm addicted TO CHOCOLATE AS WELL. in fact I'm addicted to most junk food but i never seem to put on wait. oh well mabey when i get older.
Jack_Hammer
loyal wrote:

may God bless you.

It is proven that people with little will power and much more likely to get addicted to substances.
Jack_Hammer
Rako wrote:
I'm addicted TO CHOCOLATE AS WELL. in fact I'm addicted to most junk food but i never seem to put on wait. oh well mabey when i get older.

No.1
It is weight

No.2
There are quite a few similar stories nowadays in the media of people who seemed perfectly healthy and happy eating junk food, chocolate, coffee etc. It turned out inside they were very unhealthy and had heart attacks and died at around their early to mid twenties.
windrei
um... i like chocolate too. But i prefer dark chocolate more. i received many different packs of chcolates in Christmas.. and it's not yet finished... how can i finish.... i already gave some to my friends...
tijn01
I love chocolate, I can't get enough... but it has to be dark chocolate..... really strong and bitter, not that sweet sugary stuff....
People say its a replacement for love..... but I'm in love too!
Crazy_Canuck
Jack_Hammer wrote:
loyal wrote:

may God bless you.

It is proven that people with little will power and much more likely to get addicted to substances.

Jack_Hammer, you are doing a disservice to this community to spread this kind of unsubstantiated and incorrect information about addictions and about the effects on health of poor nutrition.

I have a Master's Degree in Psychology and work in a health care organization and can assure you that substance abuse is a complex illness, the causes of which have nothing to do with "willpower", however you might define that.

Furthermore, while an improperly balanced diet that includes too high a proportion of fats can lead to obesity; and while obesity is a significant contributor to premature death, I invite you to cite reputable medical literature to substantiate your otherwise generalized and highly questionable statements.

Tsk, tsk.
qbawler311
I am fat and love chocolate just like the rest of you
loyal
chocolate lovers keep posting!!! lol
Captain Fertile
Chocolate is a wonderul thing. Yeah it is bad for us if we eat too much but its better than smkoing yourself to death (I of course do both but never at the saem time Laughing ).

I am delighted to see that there are so many other fellow chocolate lovers out there.
jon9314
I like chocolate a lot. I don't care whether it has sugar or cocoa or whatever, it just tastes good. No "story" behind it or anything. I like dark chocolate the best, but milk is good. White chocolate is only good when it's in, like, those Hershey's Cookies'n'Cream bars. Otherwise I don't like it that much.
reddishblue
Ah yes chocolate, the perfect food for Graphic Design, or any other thing for that matter
Anticollie
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I have some questions that all you chocoholics might be able to answer:

3) True or false: cocoa powder is a traditional ingredient in chili con carne

5) Which flavour match with chocolate is best and why: mint-chocolate or raspberry-chocolate?

I welcome all input. These are important questions!!! I will come back and provide the "correct" answers shortly. Good luck to all of you.

I'm not really a choco-man, so this is my (pitiful) attempt at an answer:

1) I don't believe so... because animals should not eat Dark chocolate, due to the cacao... but white chocolate is not frowned upon.

2) What IS Caramilk?

3) You bet!
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/CHILI/Chili_con_Carne_with_Cocoa.html

4) Appropriate? You mean you choose alcohol based on flavor and such rather than "how many shots 'till I can't see my hand?"

5) I love mint and chocolate. It's like mouthwash, only... not so gross, also... it's chocolate : >

Signed,
Anticollie.
meet in rio
I have a rule that I'm allowed to eat as much chocolate as I like, as long as it's fair trade stuff. So yeah... 99p per 100g (Divine) is the cheapest I've found it and so I don't get through much any more! I do adore it, though.

Yeah... it has cocoa butter and so on, so I think so.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

3) True or false: cocoa powder is a traditional ingredient in chili con carne.
Yeah, I can believe that. Chili is a bit Mexican/Aztec/something, and so is xocolatl.

Who knows, but I like sweet-ish red wine with dark chocolate.

Hmm. Well having never seen raspberry chocolate I would have to go with the mint.
SmartIcon
I rarely eat chocolate. But one of my best friend loves chocolate sooooooooo much. She eats chocolate countinuously always. While study in libraly also. I will ask some more story.
Vrythramax
I have heard (don't know if it's the truth or not) but large doses of chocolate have the same effect as sexual stimulation on the female of the sexes.

No offense ladies....it's just what I heard.

But I have been known to be wrong.
tom69
Yup, you're NOT alone Wink

Did you even know that chocolate (pure) is a drug in the USA? You may eat as much as you want of it and you can buy as luch of it as you want...But it's seen as a drug_ I last ready this is the belgian news paper (het laatste nieuws Wink)

But yeah, we all love chocolate. Razz
varon
interesting to read your posts. Very Happy i'm sorry i can't quite share your problem, i'm not partial to sweets. i can always control myself when i'm around chocolate. i usually just have one bite for the entire day and i'm good. XD i don't have cravings, even when there's ultra-luscious chocolate cake i don't eat more than one slice. Shocked i love dark chocolate, but i really just don't have a sweet tooth. or i think too much about gaining weight that that alone is enough to stop me from eating any more Very Happy

it's my boyfriend who's addicted. XDXD as for me, i love salty foods better than sweets. so i probably won't suffer from diabetes, but from some sort of kidney problem. Razz
sjjGFM
Chocolate makes you fat!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vrythramax
varon wrote:
interesting to read your posts. Very Happy i'm sorry i can't quite share your problem, i'm not partial to sweets. i can always control myself when i'm around chocolate. i usually just have one bite for the entire day and i'm good. XD i don't have cravings, even when there's ultra-luscious chocolate cake i don't eat more than one slice. Shocked i love dark chocolate, but i really just don't have a sweet tooth. or i think too much about gaining weight that that alone is enough to stop me from eating any more Very Happy

it's my boyfriend who's addicted. XDXD as for me, i love salty foods better than sweets. so i probably won't suffer from diabetes, but from some sort of kidney problem. Razz

Bah...ever hear of karobe root? tastes just like chocolate, but has no natural sugars....and women seem too like it also.

It's a win win situation. Very Happy

(makes great brownies too) Wink
Babsta
I [color=red]heart chocolate!!! =P[/color]
Razz
Babsta
Darn!.. I'm so sorry.. I meant to say:
I heart Chocolate!!!

You know there is a chemical in Chocolate that makes you feel loved. How cool. Razz
Vrythramax
Babsta wrote:
I heart Chocolate!!!

You know there is a chemical in Chocolate that makes you feel loved. How cool. Razz

No problems.....I could use some now, I jusst lost my very best friiend

Plaase come back kasts Sad
eznet
Chocolate is a food from the gods... One which I must eat daily... I swear, I can feel the warm wash of dopamine as soon as the chocolate begins to melt in my mouth Smile
divinitywolf
i love chocolate, however, too much isnt good but most poeple dont care. aaa well if they want a heart attack at 42 years 5 months 3 weeks 7 days and 3 seconds into their life then thats fine by me Razz
my favourite chocolates probably ferraro roche. mmmmmmmm its so nice!
Vrythramax
Danomite wrote:
chocolate is one of those things that I liek a bit of...but then I get grossed out real quick

You poke badgers with spoons? Why?

my 2500th post btw Dancing
j_f_k
guess It may be a culture think, but I'm absolutely addicted to Cadburys chocolate. They must put something in there that makes it addictive, or perhaps its conditioning we get as kids.

I totally don't understand why anyone likes Hersheys chocolate (although I guess its what you grow up with).

If you want to tell a US from an English or an OZ (As if you'd ever have to with that there accent!!) then feed then a cadbury's and a hersheys and see what they like.
Babsta
Vrythramax wrote:
Babsta wrote:
I heart Chocolate!!!

Plaase come back kasts Sad

Aww I'm so sorry... *sending you loadsa chocolates* =P
Vrythramax
Babsta wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
Babsta wrote:
I heart Chocolate!!!

Plaase come back kats Sad

Aww I'm so sorry... *sending you loadsa chocolates* =P

Now theres a good person....I don't eat much chocolate, but the offer was exceedingly nice, and I thank you deeply.
darknight985
loyal wrote:

"well it's a horrible story...
it all started one sunday afternoon, when my mother said to me
that i should go deliever some apples to my grandmother who was not well
so i went there and met a wolf
who told me that apples were bad for you
and he replaced the apples with special chocolate
this chocolate had an addictive substance which is very rare and only found in special places
apparently it's called sugar but i'll need to get a scholar to check tha
that..anyway so i ate one along the way to my grandmother's house
i was instantly addicted."

may God bless you.

umm im just going to say thats is REALLY stupid no offense but seriously... dumb
Seiji
I find myself not eating enough chocolate. So many varieties of it I never get tired of it. I have gotten tired of the chocolate pocky sticks.
Vrythramax
darknight985 wrote:
umm im just going to say thats is REALLY stupid no offense but seriously... dumb

There are qaulity posts you may not agree with....but being insulting to anyone can hardly be considered "qaulity"
Crazy_Canuck
Hi, Anticollie! Sorry, I missed your response ... but you have got 4 out of 5 right!! (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on the wine/chocolate one!) Congrats!

Question: Is white chocolate considered chocolate?

Anticollie wrote:
1) I don't believe so... because animals should not eat Dark chocolate, due to the cacao... but white chocolate is not frowned upon.

CORRECT! White chocolate cannot be classified as "chocolate" as, although it does contain cocoa butter, it does NOT contain "cocoa liquor", which is the key ingredient making chocolate taste like chocolate!

Question: What is the Caramilk Secret?

Anticollie wrote:
2) What IS Caramilk?

Caramilk is an absolutely fantastic chocolate bar with 8 (or 10?) separate pillow-like sections of milk chocolate, each one of which is filled with drippy, gooey, delicious caramel. (maybe only available up here in Canada?) The "Caramilk Secret" is the long-running and highly successful hook of the marketing campaign: the unsolved "mystery" of how they get the caramel inside the chocolate.

Question: T/F Cocoa is a traditional ingredient in chili con carne.

Anticollie wrote:
3) You bet!
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/CHILI/Chili_con_Carne_with_Cocoa.html

VERY GOOD! and great site, thanks for the link! I love me some chili and what a perfect weekend for it ... SUPERBOWL SUNDAY!!!

Question: What is the appropriate wine to pair with chocolate?

Anticollie wrote:
4) Appropriate? You mean you choose alcohol based on flavor and such rather than "how many shots 'till I can't see my hand?"

ROFL!!! Ummmm ... yeah, the wine snobs say it can be done and that the trick is to choose wine with enough sweetness to balance the sweetness of the chocolate. They SAY a zinfandel or a light and fruity (on the sweet side) red. Or, go with a dessert wine, a sherry, a port or a liqueur. Ice wine, a Canadian premier dessert wine made from grapes that have been left on the vine after the first frost, would also be a great pairing with chocolate.

Question: which is the better combination: mint-chocolate or raspberry-chocolate?

Anticollie wrote:
5) I love mint and chocolate. It's like mouthwash, only... not so gross, also... it's chocolate : >

YEP! My preference is mint and chocolate too. Never made the mouthwash comparison, ewwwwwwww ....

Thanks for responding! 10 Frihost $ are on their way to you as your reward! Wink
Crazy_Canuck
meet in rio wrote:
I have a rule that I'm allowed to eat as much chocolate as I like, as long as it's fair trade stuff. So yeah... 99p per 100g (Divine) is the cheapest I've found it and so I don't get through much any more! I do adore it, though. ... [snip]

Hi, Meet in Rio!! You, too, have done very well on the quiz with 3/5! 10 frihost $ are yours for your reply.

meet in rio wrote:
3) True or false: cocoa powder is a traditional ingredient in chili con carne.
Yeah, I can believe that. Chili is a bit Mexican/Aztec/something, and so is xocolatl.

Right! The variations on chili recipes are endless, but although the popular myth around chili in all of its versions is that it is Mexican, in fact it's believed to have originated in the U.S. Southwest. Go figure.

meet in rio wrote:
Who knows, but I like sweet-ish red wine with dark chocolate.

Then you have an excellent palate, as that is what the wine experts recommend. I like my chocolate straight up, thanks (also my wine straight up!)

meet in rio wrote:
Hmm. Well having never seen raspberry chocolate I would have to go with the mint.

Good choice. Anticollie ^ agrees with you as well.

See my message above for the correct answers to questions 1 and 2. Thanks for replying!
jajarvin
Today I could not resist the temptation to buy chocolate. I bought a dark chocolate containing 74 percent cocoa. But dark chocolate is also healthy. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants help free your body of free radicals, which cause oxidative damage to cells.

More on this topic http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/6-health-benefits-of-dark-chocolate.html
Radar
I don't really understand chocolate in the way that other people do. I mean, yeah, I guess it takes good, but I don't feel a deep need for it. My preference in most situations is actually to avoid it, not for any health reasons as such, but just because I'm not a fan.
ratanegra
I am addicted to Oreo cookies! My parents will often buy packages of about 30 cookies (I don't really know how many cookies each package has, but I'm pretty sure it's a LOT!). My brother eats about 3, my mom eats about 2, no one else eats them except me... I finish the package in a matter of half an hour. And they're so cheap! And I'm so thin! I just can't stop. Will I die?