FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FriHost's business logic

nimo
I hope that this subject won't become a controversy... but I'm puzzled by FriHost's logic:
How can they offer free hosting just for participating in forums?

Is it the google AdSense ads?
LukeakaDanish
Yes indeed - as it is relatively inexpensive to sell hosting, it is possible to fund this through the adverts on this forum.
bogger
Yes, I'm sure this isn't realy allowed, but according to an ad just below this post, you can get 37gb of bandwidth for £7.50 a month. Assuming that we, being normal people click 2 interesting ads a year (not that I'm telling you to!). That would get bondings any where in between 50c-€2. Multiply that by a lot of people, and you get a lot of money
nimo
in that case, i'll click more adverts...

the more you click, the better the hosting?? funny Smile
nappa
hmmmm, However I still surpirsed that Frihost can give this good hosting quality (not counting the past server 2 problems).

I hardly click the ads and I think not many people click it, still Frihost get very good money from the clicks. What a good bussiness Smile
bogger
I didn't tell you to nimo, you should only click them if you're interested in the product Smile

well then nappa, I would call you a mean person, but that would only be if you were supposed to click on the ads.
James007
Only click if you're interested, we can't tell you to click them... That would be against the adsense tos.
irinaonline
James007 wrote:
Only click if you're interested, we can't tell you to click them... That would be against the adsense tos.

sorry for this posting here, but i cannot see here nowhere any adds. where should they appear? is is my browser or my kaspersky?
SpellcasterDX
irinaonline wrote:
James007 wrote:

sorry for this posting here, but i cannot see here nowhere any adds. where should they appear? is is my browser or my kaspersky?

It's most likely an adblock program you may have installed. Try disabling it or making exceptions on it.
bogger
According to the ToS, it's illegal to have an adblocker on this forum, so I'd advise you do something about it, or they might revoke your hosting
James007
bogger wrote:
According to the ToS, it's illegal to have an adblocker on this forum, so I'd advise you do something about it, or they might revoke your hosting

Easy... easy... he's trying to solve it.

I don't know whether Kaspersky has any adblock option on its anti-virus program, or is it like an internet protection suite? I really know nothing about Kaspersky to be honest. Are you using firefox? Internet Explorer? Any addon toolbars?
bogger
I'm just helping along, back seat moderation is my fortι (and I'm not being serious)

I never heard of kaspersky before in my life! but is it economics related?
sbel
I bet bondings makes a reasonable amount
pashmina
James007 wrote:

I totally agree with you. sometimes i find some intresting ads which i click on them. and there is others ads besides adsense also. like from chitika.net or may be more
jeffapotimus
Adblocking being against TOS makes perfect sense, I've seen it in other places.

But I've always wondered how they can tell if someones using adblock.
Hogwarts
jeffapotimus wrote:
Adblocking being against TOS makes perfect sense, I've seen it in other places.

But I've always wondered how they can tell if someones using adblock.

It's hard, but there are possible ways to do it.

Also, Bondings pays 24x the price of a server a month. So, if the server costs around $100 (actually, I think that IS how much these ones cost... I tried an IP trace to see who owned them Razz), it would cost Bondings $2,400 a year. Just for the servers. The theres all the additional costs.

I would love it if my site could even afford $2400 a year Razz
bogger
@ jeffa: it helps when they admit it Razz

@ hogwarts: If you consider that there are 25,000 members, if, say, even 10% of them clicked 5 ads a year at 20c a click, he's made a profit.

We'll assume that 40% of the people here are active though, so it's 1 click on an ad per person per year. If someone clicks more, bondings has his profit
cloudship
I have never noticed the ad anywhere in the forum, that's wierd. However, shall anyone feel guilty of that? when the ads are really annoying, that is an another problem.

But i still have a question that why the users are encouraged to make posts here from time to time in order to keep active? Is that also because the active the users are in the forum, the more likely they stay online in the forum and more likely they will see and click on the ads?

I am wondering how is the relationship looking like between the clicking on ads and the real sale to those guys. It is important, right?
Hogwarts
cloudship wrote:
I have never noticed the ad anywhere in the forum, that's wierd. However, shall anyone feel guilty of that? when the ads are really annoying, that is an another problem.

But i still have a question that why the users are encouraged to make posts here from time to time in order to keep active? Is that also because the active the users are in the forum, the more likely they stay online in the forum and more likely they will see and click on the ads?

I am wondering how is the relationship looking like between the clicking on ads and the real sale to those guys. It is important, right?

That means you're using Ad-blocking software. That's banned at frihost. You should whitelist it, like I have done Wink

Why do you have to post on the forum? Because, people see the ads when they post on the forum. I read about 40 posts, for every post I post. With all the ads on the pages, alot of them are going to be clicked. If everybody does what I do, then Bondings must make a "few" dollars out of Frihost Wink
Mrs Lycos
I think you're only counting Frihost members. If Frihost wants to develop a big forum and keep everyone active by giving them free hosting, they're also creating a great source of new fresh content about any possible topic - you can check the subforums and thread titles. So anyone looking for something related will end up here ( with a good pagerank, it will surely appear in the first places in a Google search), and that may even account for more than two times the amount of Frihost members here (just guessing, it may be awfully more than that). So we're counting thousands of people coming daily to the forum looking for, say, help in installing windows vista, feeding a baby, buying stock or shares, discussing adsense, and there they will also find ads related to their search. So it will be more likely that these people click on ads rather than Frihost members, and that will make much more sense (and money!)
bangala
Mrs Lycos wrote:
I think you're only counting Frihost members. If Frihost wants to develop a big forum and keep everyone active by giving them free hosting, they're also creating a great source of new fresh content about any possible topic - you can check the subforums and thread titles. So anyone looking for something related will end up here ( with a good pagerank, it will surely appear in the first places in a Google search), and that may even account for more than two times the amount of Frihost members here (just guessing, it may be awfully more than that). So we're counting thousands of people coming daily to the forum looking for, say, help in installing windows vista, feeding a baby, buying stock or shares, discussing adsense, and there they will also find ads related to their search. So it will be more likely that these people click on ads rather than Frihost members, and that will make much more sense (and money!)

Yep that makes more sense !
saratdear
And you also have to count the PPA ads(isn't that what you call them? Confused) Pay-Per-Impression, I mean. That means that per thousand impressions, Bondings makes some money. And, counting that even if the members don't click, they view the ads, which generates money for Frihost.
Zruch
bogger wrote:
I never heard of kaspersky before in my life! but is it economics related?

Yes it is. There are Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Anti-Spam.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is very popular in Commonwealth of Independent States.
As long as it might be Internet Security, it may block ads by Google on this site. But I'm not really sure about it, I have NOD32 installed.
Hobbit
I just noticed, isn't this incentivized traffic?
vinx_18
Bottomline is ...the owner benefited from us while we also benefit from his marketing ideas. Wishing all the best for frihost... Love this site yo!
standready
bogger wrote:
@ jeffa: it helps when they admit it Razz

@ hogwarts: If you consider that there are 25,000 members, if, say, even 10% of them clicked 5 ads a year at 20c a click, he's made a profit.

We'll assume that 40% of the people here are active though, so it's 1 click on an ad per person per year. If someone clicks more, bondings has his profit

There are additional cost to consider besides the server and it's related cost. Bandwidth is one.
bogger
True, but I'm just making estimates, my request to view Frihost's business accounts was turned down due to unforeseen liabilities! (not really, but that sounds better than I didn't ask