FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Puting MP3s on my site

bubster
Hi, I know mp3 etc. are forbidden but does that mean that I am not alowed to put MP3s on my website? I often like to compose music and share it with friends and family, I was planing on putting some things like that on my site I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. Thanks!
Animal
You are allowed to host audio files under certain circumstances. Primarily, the music has to be non-copyrighted - therefore it has to be written and performed by yourself. You're not allowed to put covers of songs (songs written by others but played by you) on your site.

Before you upload them, you need to make a new topic in the Request an Account Change forum and ask for permission. If granted, you'll be given instructions on how to place them on your account.

Hope this is of some help.
SFMeatwad
what about just embedding them from another site from the other site's owner permission?
Blaster
I dont' think that is allowed. But i'm not certain. There are no direct rules on this though. Since it isn't hosted i don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.
mathiaus
Blaster wrote:
There are no direct rules on this though. Since it isn't hosted i don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

Oh but there are!
Quote:
A4. Copyrighted material without the permission of the owner. (content, images, music, software, ...)

You still need permission from the copyright holder to use t on your site at all.

Quote:
A5. Hosting, linking and content related to warez, mp3's and all other illegal files.

The world linking encompasses embedding as well as its still essentially a link.
TribalArt
Instead of starting a whole new thread about Mp3s, I shall ask it here and hope it is replied.

I may be asked to design a website for my friends band. They have given me permission (soon to be in writing) to put up the music on their site I may design for them.

My question is, Is this acceptable?
Judging by the rules, I think it is.
Animal
TribalArt wrote:
Instead of starting a whole new thread about Mp3s, I shall ask it here and hope it is replied.

I may be asked to design a website for my friends band. They have given me permission (soon to be in writing) to put up the music on their site I may design for them.

My question is, Is this acceptable?
Judging by the rules, I think it is.

Post a request for permission in the Request an Account Change forum describing the state of copyright and the fact that you have written permission. You may be asked to supply this written permission privately by the Admins.
Raydon
My brother had the same question.
He is a rap artist and he is looking for a place where he could make his own site. I told him about FriHost and he asked me can he upload his music here.

I didn't know the answer...

He is a member of his band too M.O.T.A and his name is daSin. He has a website on myspace (a place where a lot of undergound performance artist are gathered and trying to get some connections to get known) and here in Croatia he us high up the ladder in uderground performance artists.

So could you tell me please, would he be allowed to upload his music and that that music can be played by anyone that comes to his site and that it could be able to download???
Scorpio
Raydon wrote:
He is a rap artist and he is looking for a place where he could make his own site. I told him about FriHost and he asked me can he upload his music here.

He is a member of his band too M.O.T.A and his name is daSin. He has a website on myspace (a place where a lot of undergound performance artist are gathered and trying to get some connections to get known) and here in Croatia he us high up the ladder in uderground performance artists.

So could you tell me please, would he be allowed to upload his music and that that music can be played by anyone that comes to his site and that it could be able to download???

You could do everybody a favor and read the post above yours and follow the instructions
Animal
Raydon wrote:

In the post above yours, Animal wrote:
Post a request for permission in the Request an Account Change forum describing the state of copyright...
garionw
Animal wrote:
You are allowed to host audio files under certain circumstances. Primarily, the music has to be non-copyrighted - therefore it has to be written and performed by yourself. You're not allowed to put covers of songs (songs written by others but played by you) on your site.

Before you upload them, you need to make a new topic in the Request an Account Change forum and ask for permission. If granted, you'll be given instructions on how to place them on your account.

Hope this is of some help.

Technically then, anyone from Australia can't upload music due to our copyright laws:

Some Dude From Australia wrote:

• Copyright protection is free and applies automatically when material is created.
  • A song normally comprises of both a musical work and a literary work, each of which may have different
    copyright owners
  • Sound recordings are also protected by copyright. This copyright is separate and additional to any copyrights
    in the music and lyrics.
  • Creators of musical or literary works also have moral rights in relation to their work.

Source: http://www.copyright.org.au/information/specialinterest/G012.pdf

[offtopic] I like your new Avatar, Animal but your old one will always remain in my head Wink
Bockman
garionw, in that case, the user who created it would be the copyright holder, right?

Be Well Cool