FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you celebrate your dog's Birthday??

pashmina
I have a dog who is very very faith full to me. She is my best friend. I always celebrate her birthday. And it feels so nice. Though she doesn't understand. But she enjoys a lot eating birthday cakes and bone as a desert at the end of the birthday party. As for the present i make her clothes. She is turning 5 years old now. I am thinking to give her a different type of present this time. What should i give her??
This topic might seem strange to pets haters. !!
crimson_aria
I would love to celebrate my dog's birthday, but I don't have one. I value the births of every thing. LOL.

happy Birthday to you dog! ^^
hlavco
We don't celebrate our pets' birthdays because most of the time we don't actually know the exact day, plus we give our dogs bones and toys to chew on all the time anyway. Also, I'm one of those people who thinks the idea of clothes for pets is dumb. I mean, they really don't seem to like wearing them, and with clothes on, you can't pet their fur.

We do get our dogs extra toys and treats for Christmas though. We put them in a stocking above the fireplace, and after a few years they usually catch on and get excited when we take the Christmas stuff out of the attic.
aydede
I have a dog her name is Kete.the idea that celebrate her birthday is different.
Last year I wanted to celebrate her birthday.but my aim was not celebrate. I wanted to enjoy my friends and myself.
I was wore kete some clothes. and we made cake with bone and milk.Smile
then we light two candle for her.we turned off light and brougt her other room. then everybody in the room said
"happy birth day to kete"
It was amazing that kete didn't like party and cake with bone and milk Smile
but we enjoyed ourself so much.
pashmina
aydede wrote:
I have a dog her name is Kete.the idea that celebrate her birthday is different.
Last year I wanted to celebrate her birthday.but my aim was not celebrate. I wanted to enjoy my friends and myself.
then we light two candle for her.we turned off light and brougt her other room. then everybody in the room said
but we enjoyed ourself so much.

nice name kete, the dog muct be cute and very generous. my dog open to every one, anyway my dog didn't get very shy, she in fact goes to the visitors and greets very well, she love having people around her and enjoy her self..
loooks like u had a very good party..
AGW-Bryan
Nope, I get him something little. Maybe a Little Champs.
vw_bugg
Even though the dog doesnt know the difference i would still buy him a gift especialy if i knew when his exact birthday was. The pets always get christmas presents too. They really do apreciate it.
Daisie
we do xmas stocking for our lot but we dont do birthdays, we dont know when they were born anyway!
Crazy_Canuck
This is a great thread! I have a dog whose b'day is December 17th, but I usually forget Sad

However, in past year's I have always gotten her Christmas presents, so I guess she's like kids whose birthdays are near Christmas -- she gets ripped off!

On a related note: do you sign your Christmas cards with your dogs' (or other pets') names, as well as your own and your family's names? Sometimes I find that a bit creepy. hehehe
pashmina
Hey my dog knows how to unwrap the present. she does it the funny way. i really like that. may be i will post the picture...
Annush_K
My dog's b-day is Jan 24th. I always give him treats and bones to chew. Not that I don't give them to him in the rest of the year, lol, but on his birthday he recieves something special. Wink
I don't give him anything extra on winter holidays, but my friends who celebrate at mine's always bring him something tasty, so no one is left without a present as well :3
tolerance
Haha what an awesome thread. I don't celebrate any of my dogs' birthdays but I buy them all sorts of stuff for Christmas. My puppy loves squeaky toys so I bought her a new squeaky toy (since she broke hers... from chewing on it so much I guess) and a big thing of treats, along with bones and smaller bags of different treats. I also randomly buy them things throughout the year, so I don't feel too bad about letting their birthdays pass.

They'd probably bite me if I tried to put clothing on them, haha. Very Happy
Kelvin
We do celebrate our dog's BD but not to the extent of making cakes and organising parties. Just give an extra treat and food, say happy BD and shower more attention. Wink

It's great to know that ppl loves their pets so much. Kudos! Very Happy
budiman
I am working in Taiwan now. And they do celebrate their pet (dog) birthday Smile

I heard people in Taiwan call their pets daughters or sons. It is common here.

One French Restaurant, PuppyDog Zone, located in Yangmingshan, Taipei City, not only offers exquisite French cuisines but also provides a playground and French meals for their customer's dogs Smile And Of course you can celebrate your pet birthday here with doggy birthday cake.
kurogane
Lol, is really rare to celebrate the birthday to him atu dog or (mascot), but reason why I see really you are become attached to her, good happy birthday to you for her. : D

matta ne~
Bannik
my dog is a cute giant rottweiler that eats raw bloody meat for his birthday and likes to fight with me for my socks......
PatTheGreat42
I am somewhat embarrased to say that I didn't even know how old my dog was until very recently. We inherited him from my Grandmother, so it's not like I could think back and say "Yeah, we got him when I say 14, so he must be..."

Turns out he's 8. I always figured he was 4 or 5. Now I treat him with a bit more respect. He's like, an old timer. Middle Aged at least.

Wonder what dogs do for their mid-life crises?
xanarulz
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

Dunno, but ya I going to celebrate my dog's birthday (June 26), only reason I know the date is because the dog had papers from to breeder Rolling Eyes
illegalhost
Hmm, just ask Paris Hilton. i think everyday is Dog day for her! HAHA.

Sorry but i do not have a dog. Or dogs. But my grandmother have quite a few. In fact, some of them survive a couple of generations now. Hmm.. i do not think that my grandmother celebrate the birthdays cuz there are too many of them for her to handle. She just like to have them around as they are fun and cute to look at.

But if you wish to celebrate their birthday, i guess you could always bring them to those Pets Station where they treat your pets like royals! So the staff there would bath and groom them nicely (and smells nice too). And, there would be fantastic healthy food, yet food that are so delicious, that you wish that you were the pet!! Dogs are usually (well, mostly) sociable creatures. So i guess this would make them really happy!

Hope this helps! Wink
ThornsOfSorrow
My family doesn't celebrate my dog's birthday, but we let the dog celebrate all of our birthdays. In fact, he barks along to the "happy birthday" song now because he knows that he'll be getting cake soon. Unfortunately, doing this (along with the fact that my dog steals a lot of food) has resulted in a very fat dog.
maclui
I give my dog extra food and also I buy something new for it such as a toy.
lapinkoirat
we celebrate our dog's Birthday
cmfi_germany
[quot][quot]I have a dog her name is Kete.the idea that celebrate her birthday is different.
but we enjoyed ourself so much.[quo]
nice name kete, the dog muct be cute and very generous. my dog open to every one, anyway my dog didn't get very shy, she in fact goes to the visitors and greets very well, she love having people around her and enjoy her self..
loooks like u had a very good party..[quo]

If one´s life has a sense, one never come to this kind of idea, I mean dog´s birthday. Well anyone is free to celebrate what he wants to.

Is´nt it?
Solos
We'll not really, but I make sure to get him a special treat from the pet store.
wolf_wonders
I would love to celebrate my dogs' birthdays. The problem is we only know one of my dog's real birth date. I have 2. Both are Huskies 1 male and 1 female. My mom thinks it wouldn't be fair to my dog Summit if we celebrate Mady's birthday and not him. I kind of agree. But I mean we could also celebrate both the dogs birthdays on Mady's birthday, right? Question Oh well, my parents say we don't have the time.
I swear that when I live by myself I will celebrate all of my dog's birthday!! Exclamation Very Happy
schumway
oh ya every year...

and at christmas of course... and Thanksgiving... they are part of the family after all LOL
thealpha
i don't have a dog, but my friend does it every year,
he tried to make a cake for it and take a lot of photos with it, of cvoz, a lot of presents for it.
rheanna
use too.. And always wrapped them presents on x-mas.. But can't anymore Sad I don't have visitation rights to the dogs..grr

Had the choice of the house or the dogs and I chose the house. I worked to hard for it to let it slip away for free.
Tvis
I don't have a dog myself, but my parents do, just they live about 10,000 km away. So I haven't really got the chance to visit the dog (neither my parents). I know it's birthday is in April, but I always forget the exact date, like the 12th or something. But normally I forget it's birthday. Pretty sad, but the dog doesn't know. And I really love her. So Every time I see her I try to make her feel special. I don't know if she realizes that. But I think she deserves a little present every now and then. Not just on the birthday. It does depend if she behaves good of course!
jon724
I do celebrate my dogs birthday, in fact i celebrate every occasion. For his birthday i just get a special treat (as a cake) and a toy (for a present). I don't see why you can't do this. Its fun and to me it wouldn't feel right just ignoring his birthday. He's a part of the family so to speak. Very Happy
sky217
I don't even know exactly when my dog was born. I got him from the humane society. We just assume it was around Halloween. Other than making a mention of it in coversation, we don't do anything extra to celebrate it.
agustin
damned!!! you are... men.... holy shit... so stupid....
Aiz
I've been celebrating my dog's birthdays unless something came up (Like that one year when I was on the other side of the world when his birthday came around, so I ended up asking my dad to get him something yummy for his birthday.)

I guess I'm lucky I know exactly when my dog was born (I bought him over the internet and so all the paperworks were complete to a fault).

Although, the dog himself doesn't get what was going on. We've been giving him not so oily/fat treats for his birthday, since dogs can't handle oil well. And whenever we place several sweet buns infront of him, he'd look up and sorta give us the "what the heck?" look before sniffing at them and wolf them down.
Pilot
I don't. Mostly because mine is a rescue dog. I keep saying that I should celebrate the day I got her from the pound, but I think she loves everyday like her birthday... she's a pretty happy dog now.

I don't think I'd know what to do for her birthday... blowing up balloons doesn't seem like something my dog would appreciate.
thealpha
i also celebrate my pets' birthday. They all seems very happy when they are having the birthday party and enjoying the birthday cakes!

They are lovely and i really treat them as my best friends!
neljx
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I am somewhat embarrased to say that I didn't even know how old my dog was until very recently. We inherited him from my Grandmother, so it's not like I could think back and say "Yeah, we got him when I say 14, so he must be..."

Turns out he's 8. I always figured he was 4 or 5. Now I treat him with a bit more respect. He's like, an old timer. Middle Aged at least.

Buy a big motorbike?? Get a new girlfriend? Who knows! Very Happy
neljx
I think we celebrate our pets birthdays for US. They obviously don't know it's their birthday but hey, if we choose to have a reason to celebrate? Why not! [/img]
quex
We celebrate my dog everyday... the common attitude in the house is "Okay, she's just a dog. She gets dog food and she can have a treat when she does her tricks," but that all goes straight to hell when the dog is actually in the room. As the distance between family members and dog decreases, the tendency to mollycoddle and give bits of food increases exponentially, ala the xkcd masterpiece, here. Only with "puppy" in that inane statement.

I love meh dog. ^_^
roboguyspacedude
Sadly we got our dog form the pound and it had been stray so I don't know when his birthday is. Sad
However, my previous dog's birthday was on Christmas Eve so we did celebrate hers.
laurenrox
I had a birthday party for my pet cat named Pippin, and I used to have one for my dog Sara every year before I moved out of my parent's house (I couldn't bring her with me). We didn't know their actual birthdays so we always did on the day we adopted them.
carlospro7
thats funny. My dogs birthday happens to be on the same day as my younger sister's. So I guess we celebrate them both
GSIS
I don't have a dog, now, but I got the last one when I was about 8 or 9. I carried him home in my coat when he was only a couple of weeks old (long story about the idiots who owned his mother). He was, of course, tiny and became very attached to me as I did all the feeding, cleaning up and most of the exercising and training.

As he was so special I was always aware of the day we got him but I don't ever recall doing anything, with or for him, that wasn't a normal dog thing.

Christmas was always a different matter, though. Everyone else was getting pressies - so he had to have something too! After, all, he was an important member of the family and couldn't be left out.
nickie2575
Almost 10 years didn’t have pets. Last time I had a dog call Bote, and
It was dead 10years ago, it just 3years old only! Actually I didn’t know what it’s birthday and not celebrate it’s birthday.
Coclus
Of course: He gets a present and a lot of treats: And I get some (human) treats as well Wink
paul_indo
I have three dogs but I only know when one of them was born.

I guess I could just have one big party for the all together. Lot's of cake and beer.
They would love it, although my Rotty enjoys the occasional whiskey as well. If I leave my glass on the coffee table while I leave the room she will finish it for me.
brucedes
Oh yes, I celebrate all my animal's birthdays.

Dogs:
Mozart: March 28th
Lucky: May 5th

Cat:
Ninja: July 20th

Ferret:
Quitsy: February 18th

I guess that makes me a bit weird, doesn't it?
carlospro7
brucedes wrote:
Oh yes, I celebrate all my animal's birthdays.

Dogs:
Mozart: March 28th
Lucky: May 5th

Cat:
Ninja: July 20th

Ferret:
Quitsy: February 18th

I guess that makes me a bit weird, doesn't it?

oh you know, just a bit... Laughing just kidding
germy7
I don't celebrate my own birthday so it's hard for me to remember to celebrate my dog's birthday.
I wouldn't give my dog birthday cake though... Maybe some nice chew toys hehe.
FirecrackerLabels
I usually just buy special treats or a new toy for my dog on his birthday, it is easy to remember as he was born on the same date as my mother. Once I did celebrate the first anniversary of adopting the greyhound I used to have (she was rescued from the track after she had to retire), even went and had a special cake made up for the occasion. OK so the cake was really for us (good excuse) but I did get her picture put on the cake. Unfortunately she passed away two years ago as she had some neurological problems which caused her retirement.

pashmina
I really like that cake, and i feel sorry for your dog..
Sventh
Well,

I always give my dog presents with her anniversary like toys. But I don't let come people over to celebrate it.
cybernie
Celebrating a pet's birthday is cool! At first it was a weird idea. I was able to attend a birthday of a dog, a chihuahua. I don't know it was a dog's birthday. I just got a message from a friend inviting me to his "baby's" birthday. I thought it was a real baby - I thought my friend had kept a secret that he and his girlfriend had a child already. I was about to buy a gift for the celebrant. Good thing I don't know the gender of the baby so I did not the gift. I just decided to give cash.

When I arrived at the party, I saw a big birthday cake. Wow! I can see words "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY KINDRA!" That convinced me it was a real child. Minutes passed but I never saw a little girl. One of the guests ask where the birthday celebrant is. My friend asked his girlfriend to bring the celebrant in. Minutes later, my friend's GF come with a chihuahua in red "gown" then I heard my friend's announcement, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE BIRTHDAY CELEBRANT, KINDRA, OUR BELOVED CHIHUAHUA!"

Everybody burst into laughter. What made the gathering more funny was that some of the guests bought a gift for a baby girl. Some milk and foods for baby. Some brought clothes!
Rico
No, but I think I should start.
azbuky
Of course I do! Smile
dolliedreams
I try my hardest to celebrate my dogs b-day but as you said my dog does not understand. I am glad that you have the kindness to make your dog a cake and give a present each year Very Happy ! I am not trying to say that if you don't celebrate your dogs b-day you the devil Evil or Very Mad , I am just saying that since you dog is there for your b-day why can't you be there for his/hers( I mean really it was the day your dog was born)
pigthomas
I tailor a beautiful dressing for my dog every year. When its birthday comes, I would invite my friends with their pets to my home, where a great dance party is held!!!! Very Happy
Idoru
There are many b-days to keep track of, since we have six cats, two dogs and three rabbits...
If we remember, we celebrate with something extra. Just now, last weekend, the dogs both had their b-days. Smile
Two days between them, so there was a feast of three days with extra care and training, and ofcourse, a bunch
of extra meat-balls! Cool Smile
Coen
I never celebrate my dog's birthday. He wouldn't understand anyway, so why celebrate? I love my dog very dearly and show him every day by treating him fair and being nice to him. I have no reason to start celebrating his birthday as it would be something he wouldn't understand.
bulek
I don't celebrate my pets birthdays as well. Birthday only means something to mankind, but not to animals.
DrGee
i used to have a dog but i never thought about celebrating it's birthday