FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS2 emulator - PCSX2 0.9.2 R2 is now available

bluecradle
this project has been continously improving over the past years and now we can play some 3D games (like FFXII) on your pc though you really need a high-end spec for your pc like P4 or duo processor, 1-2GB ram, 128-256mb video card, etc, in order to trully enjoy these games.

check it out at www.pcsx2.net Very Happy
jeremyyak
Nice, I've been messing around with the PS2 emulator for awhile, nice to see a stable, working version Very Happy
~Jeremy~
enygmasoft
bluecradle wrote:
this project has been continously improving over the past years and now we can play some 3D games (like FFXII) on your pc though you really need a high-end spec for your pc like P4 or duo processor, 1-2GB ram, 128-256mb video card, etc, in order to trully enjoy these games.

Its good to see such progress, but you really do need an extremely High end PC to get any decent frame Rates. My PC only needs the RAM upgrade to 2GB from the 512MB I am using now. I had no need for that, but looks like I Found it.
QrafTee
bluecradle wrote:

Is that the same guy who's been working on the PS1 emulator? I heard he's working on both, but he wants to finish the PS1 emulator before fixing all the bugs in the PS2 emulator.
iNs@nE
What is the whole point of releasing the PS2 emulator so late? I mean, now the Playstation prices have gone down so low that one could easily afford it.

You say that you need a high end pc to actually enjoy these games. If you spend 1/10th of the money you spend on making your pc high-end you would surely be able to afford a playstation 2. Its too late.

People would like it if someone got the emulator for the PS3 out faster than what they did with PS2. But anyday, I stick to the console. Gaming experience on the console is way way better than that on the PC.
djsamsung
i even have a friend who's willing to give his ps2 for free! why now release this such things.... Shocked
datter
Why not?
datter
Why not?
datter
Why not?
djsamsung
lol

to use these emulators you need a really powerful system and only certain games works on it. why not just get a ps2 Twisted Evil
Blu_Spykz
Yes, PS2's are extremely cheap in comparison to what they were 12 months ago.

But thanks for the emulator (y)
iNs@nE
And the worst part is that despite taking so long to come up with an emulator they couldnt release a perfectly unbugged version. There are still thousands of glitches which make the game experience a real bad one.

Any day, no emulator can match up to the power of the console itself. Thats the whole point people prefer the consoles over the emulators....
QrafTee
iNs@nE wrote:
And the worst part is that despite taking so long to come up with an emulator they couldnt release a perfectly unbugged version. There are still thousands of glitches which make the game experience a real bad one.

Any day, no emulator can match up to the power of the console itself. Thats the whole point people prefer the consoles over the emulators....

Wow dude, do you know how hard it is to make an emulator for CD-based consoles? They're not that easy. The PSP emulators are still limited to homebrew games. You can't expect the PS2 or PS1 emulators to be perfected. To tell you the truth most people creating these emulators are probably college students doing this as a side project just because they want to know if they can do it. And the only reason PCs need to he high-end to play these games is because they're emulating it (sometimes using virtual memory to do so), so it doesn't emulate perfectly and uses more resource to run the emulator than it'd take for the hardware of the console to play the game like normal.

And if I remember this correctly, the 360 and the PS3 emulates PS2/PS1 and Xbox games so they're backwards compatible and even those aren't 100%, how do you expect a couple of college students/graduates to do better than the console's own creators?
SimonWSTS
ok, firstly hats off to the guys who put so much effort into trying to get their emulators working. It's a tremendously difficult task and shouldn't be knowcked.

However, to those people who want an emulator as a serious alternative to the console, don't be stupid. Emulators will NEVER work as well as the consoles they are trying to recreate partially beacuse it's such a difficult thing to program and partially because you need really top end hardware to even get the thing running. If you want to play the games, buy the console. Simple.
Tuxy
[quote='SimonWSTS"]ok, firstly hats off to the guys who put so much effort into trying to get their emulators working. It's a tremendously difficult task and shouldn't be knowcked.

However, to those people who want an emulator as a serious alternative to the console, don't be stupid. Emulators will NEVER work as well as the consoles they are trying to recreate partially beacuse it's such a difficult thing to program and partially because you need really top end hardware to even get the thing running. If you want to play the games, buy the console. Simple.[/quote]

Why are you demanding people not to use emulators? It's their choice, not yours. And also, you say that emulators NEVER work as well as the platforms they emulate, but did you look at the gameboy emulators? One emulator to play all gameboy games (GB, GBC etc). I can play games I can't find in the store's, and I dont need to look at the little screen on a real GB. I can share savegames with other people online. I can IM in the mean time. You're right saying an emulator uses more resources than the consoles, but what else did you expect? And btw, 1GB ram, 256 mb graphics card and a P4 are standard nowadays Smile
Sparda
I wouldn't bother getting this PS2 Emulator. There are way too many required downloads to even use the program.
QrafTee
Sparda wrote:
I wouldn't bother getting this PS2 Emulator. There are way too many required downloads to even use the program.

You need the emulator... the BIOS... and the actual game. What's so hard about that?

I mean the only thing that is actually hard to find is the BIOS because it's illegal to just post it online for people to download, but you can always legally dump your own PS2 BIOS in there... then again why would you use an emulator if you have the console... maybe you don't have a mod-chip, but that's about it.
The_Gamer294
Cool, I've been looking for one of these for a while now. Thanks.
vaoger
accually it have being arround for a long time now...
the previous verision having some error on game cd reading...
one thing about the emulaotr is that it cant handle the ps2 game for a long time.. the game will evencully crash due to inssuffient off your virtual ram of your system..
one more thing is that the emulator requitment had another requiment .. that is having a high FSB motherboard.. this is to prevent the game to became STUPID or lagness even your graphic card are over the basic requiment!!

well like some one said.. the original will be more worth than the piracy one!! even though it having the same quantity!!
PS3 ROCK!!