FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Electronic Music fans, gather here!

cheh
so i got this idea from the 2 sites which you can see in my sig. it's called an ID contest.
the idea is that somebody (me in that case) makes (let's say) 50 samples, each 15 seconds long (or more, or less), puts them in a zip folder and uploads them. then the people try to ID the songs. full ID (Artist - Title (remix if there is one)) brings you 2 points and an incomplete ID brings you 1 point. the person with most points is the winner.
the winner can organise the next contest if they feel like it, otherwise the win is more of a moral nature Razz buuuut... since i don't have much need for those frih bucks, i guess i can donate a hundred or so to the winner Wink

thing is, we need enough people who listen to electronic music (techno, house, trance, hardcore, hardstyle, ambient, ....) to make it interesting enough.
so all electronica fans, or any other people interested in participating in the contest, here's the place to say so! if there's enough interest, i'll organise one. i promise to make it easy Smile
nimo
I want in Smile

but me and some friends used to do this, and 15 seconds seems too much. you may want to start with easy-to-recognize tracks, and 1-2 seconds?
legion
nimo wrote:
I want in Smile

but me and some friends used to do this, and 15 seconds seems too much. you may want to start with easy-to-recognize tracks, and 1-2 seconds?

1-2 seconds? Laughing ... hmm ... i say 10 seconds
nimo
most of the songs I know, I can recognize from the first 5 seconds... give it a try. I'll upload 5 seconds somewhere (if I'll get the hosing on this site!) and we'll see if you can recognize it.

I thought of 1-2 seconds to make it harder...
Scott
I'll try to participate, electronic music is rockin'. I think it would be wise to have more than one person select the samples though. There is an awful broad range of stuff out there.
cheh
nimo, yeah if you know the song really well you can ID it from hearing just a few seconds. when you have such broad variety of music it gets much harder. it could happen that you once heard some song on the radio, kinda remember it, but it's deffinetily not the first song that pops up in your mind. but if you hear a longer part of it, it eventually might. and let's not forget that one loop lasts around 15 seconds, and you really ought to hear at least one loop.
since it's the first one, i don't want to make it really hard and rather see more people cooperate in this.

Scott, u'll just have to trust me Wink
nimo
OK, I'll go with the flow... but please try to make the first ones pretty easy, as I'm not a heavy electronica listener.

and come on!! give us the quiz already! I've been waiting for almost a week now Cool

PS. I was thinking of posting a quiz like that (but NOT electronic) in the general forum. Cheh- do you think that's OK or would that be stealing your idea...?
cheh
no not at all man, go ahead! i was gonna post one like that in case there wouldn't be enough interest for an electronica one.

ok, i'll make the quiz next week, first i wanted to make sure there are enough interests Wink
Jaan
It'd be really easy to make a program for the automation of guessing the tracks. There probly already is.
legion
cheh wrote:
no not at all man, go ahead! i was gonna post one like that in case there wouldn't be enough interest for an electronica one.

ok, i'll make the quiz next week, first i wanted to make sure there are enough interests Wink

any tips on what genres of electronica will be? Laughing
cheh
all of them Wink

ok, i'll post the quiz this weekend, i already picked all the tracks i just have to make samples now... thing is, i have a very busy weekend ahead of me so i hope i'll find the time to make 50 samples.

i tried to make it as mainstream as possible in order not to make it too hard for the non-electronica lovers Very Happy also included a lot of classics so hopefully it will be a bit educational aswell. Smile
cheh
so i did it! Very Happy
topic here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-63505.html

and i made it so easy it hurts Very Happy
legion
haha ... finally Smile ... now let me check them ... 15 seconds is ok Cool