FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where is best place to learn a new language for free?

DaComboMan
I've been procrastinating on learning a new language like Spanish or German and, well, seeing that i spend plenty of time at the computer and of course, online. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a site where it would be easiest to start the process.

Learning with children is best but school days are long gone. Any ideas are most welcome! Thanks!
cheh
easiest way of learning a language is with practice.
i learnt my english when we got satelite television when i was a kid. i remember how i would watch cartoons all days and before i even realised it i was fluent in the language. i don't think i was even 12 when i was already transalating for my grandparents who had apartments for turists Very Happy

so if you have any TV channels in german or spain, i strongly recommed you to watch them. even if the program is kinda boring. try to find something that you like...
also try and take a trip to the country if money and time allow you so.

i know it's alot of trouble and most people probably aren't able to go through all that, but it's the most efficient way of learning a language.
xkobram
Buy selflearning book or going on language course...
DaComboMan
Thank you for the tips cheh and xkobram!

I think a good basic grammar software or website could be helpful too.
Any hints in that area?
xkobram
DaComboMan wrote:
Thank you for the tips cheh and xkobram!

I think a good basic grammar software or website could be helpful too.
Any hints in that area?

Software can be also good...
But you need high-quality software beacause cheap programs are only good with a teacher.

I dont know any of that software but i would try google.
Education is not cheap but i think you could ask your friends if they dont have a copy of software...
ikka
I Can Learn you norwegian if you can learn me more english! Laughing Laughing
xkobram
ikka wrote:

Lol I dont think he would be interested in speaking Czech Sad nor Norwegian...
English moves the world!
DaComboMan
ikka wrote:

That would be fun ikka but seeing that i can understand French, English and Italian, right now i think it will be better to start with another more common language like Spanish.

If i could find a good spanish news station.
xkobram
DaComboMan wrote:
ikka wrote:

That would be fun ikka but seeing that i can understand French, English and Italian, right now i think it will be better to start with another more common language like Spanish.

And you think you need it? Do you use your languages? Whats your job?
DaComboMan
xkobram wrote:
DaComboMan wrote:
ikka wrote:

And you think you need it? Do you use your languages? Whats your job?

For now it would be like a hobby, trying to keep the memory alive with a bit of mental gymnastics. Cool
xkobram
DaComboMan wrote:

For now it would be like a hobby, trying to keep the memory alive with a bit of mental gymnastics. Cool

And when you were on some party you could say "Give me beer" in that languages...

Do you know that word "How many languages you can speak, that times you are human" ( Sorry i cant translate it in English Sad Laughing )?
DecayClan
how about downloading some e-books about the language you are interested in, and maybe some tapes(*mp3). Just change your computer settings at the language you wish to learn, so that you will b forced to start learning the language, and searching words in the dictionary, etc. You can use babelfish translation to help you(from altavista.com) and maybe download a dictionary at an electronic form.

When you get a DvD, turn the subtitles, and if it is possible, also change the sound language...
These will help you a lot, and probably, you will start to slowly learn the language...
DaComboMan
DecayClan wrote:
how about downloading some e-books about the language you are interested in, and maybe some tapes(*mp3). Just change your computer settings at the language you wish to learn, so that you will b forced to start learning the language, and searching words in the dictionary, etc. You can use babelfish translation to help you(from altavista.com) and maybe download a dictionary at an electronic form.

When you get a DvD, turn the subtitles, and if it is possible, also change the sound language...
These will help you a lot, and probably, you will start to slowly learn the language...

Pretty good alternatives DecayClan!

Thank you!
Soulfire
Use a search engine.

I typed "Lean Spanish" into Google and found this amazing FREE website:
http://www.studyspanish.com/
(But there is a premium subscription option, lots of freebies)

You can find tons more resources just like that. Amazing what Google can do.
R2.DETARD
My uncle gave me this advice:
"the best way to learn a language is to sleep with it."
My girlfriend is French and I can't say I've learned heaps, but it's more than I'd learn from a book.
Other than that, there is the slightly less fun method:
Just live there.
I picked up fluent German after 2 years of living here. Now I'm in my 4th and I've no problem going out and speaking to Germans in bars or at parties.
spazbutt32
Well, >.>..

You could always find a software title that reviews say is really good, and download it illegally somewhere XD

but don't do that, or the FBI'll ban your ass D:
sketteksalfa
im studying nihonggo now, and i say practice makes a big difference in learning. without it you will tend to forgot the words.
DynamicNames
I don't really know where you should go to learn a new language like that. But, as the first poster said, try practicing some stuff from the language everyday. You could also buy a book or tutural for it. The only thing else I think that would be able to help you is if you search on the internet (You Should Use Google), and find a website that teaches you the language you are looking for. Good luck on learning it.
schmidi
To learn a new language is not easy, because you need help. If you buy a "language-book" in the store, i think it don't would be very helpful. You need someone, who you can talk to him.
My Advise: Get contact with a people from this land, which language do you want to learn. Use the web, it may can be useful...
ReubenWilliams
A guy called Michael Thomas does a very good learn to speak spanish CD, I would have thought this would be a better option, particularly if you drive to work every day as it means you can listen to it every day.

He has wonderfull handy tips like every word which ends in either able or ible is the same in both english and spanish although the pronunciation changes, so able becomes ab-lay and ible becomes ib-lay so it is probable becomes es ist prob-ab-lay and so on and so forth, hope this helps.
Davidgr1200
If you want to start learning a language for free then there are plenty of resources on the internet. Try about.com for a start. They have an introduction to Spanish and probably other languages as well. Then you can look up the website of a national newspaper from the country whose language you are learning. You can also find radio and TV sites for the appropriate country. It's easy getting started...
fingo
You can get a lot from books (libraries are free), especially if you're more interested in reading/writing then speaking. Try getting a work of fiction that has both the original and the translation, and a dictionary. According to legend Borges learned Italian this way by reading Dante on a long train ride. But then again Borges was a genius...
JJGY
Start posting on a website with a forum where english is thrown out more as a second langauge. It can be hard to jump straight into a community where noone really speaks english, but there are many out there where enough of whatever you are trying to learn is used that it becomes pretty easy to pick up on the meaning.
littletomi714
I recommend a place called school. It has a lot of rooms. They have a person who's in charge of the room, they're called a teacher. They are supposed to teach you something you want to know! OH MY GOSH! That's amazing!
Annush_K
I'd recommend some online courses for the beginning, but as soon as you get the basics, you'll need practice. If you spend much time in the Interenet, you may a) surf on websites on the language you're learning and b) chat with people on it. I'm grateful to my friend Jim from the US for he'd been so patient to me when 3 years ago my English was.. well, hard to understand. With time and more talikng to him, my skills grew. Not that I'm boasting, but my English is one of the best in my academy :3
godam64
chat room or specific forums abuout learning foreign language would be perfect. but the first thing to do is find a chat partner that can teach you foreign language from basic of course Very Happy good luck for you...
Yjaxygames
Much practice, in anyway. Like what people posted before me. Chatting, watching cartoons, many movies in the language you want to learn, with subtitle, so you can learn some new words
(you must have a bit knowledge about the language to do this, because else you won't know where the words stop etc.).

But if you want it really cheap, find some free lessons on internet.
OutlawSpirit
i tried the subtitles thing... dont think anything really sank in Razz
amusic
learning on books, learn to speak with people using that language, watch tv program that are speaking that language.
Helios
I'm basically repeating what others said here...
Best way to learn a language, IMHO, is to learn the basics and TALK.
Find a chat partner via Skype or WLM and talk with him/her using the microphone.
Also watch TV shows and that sort of things...
Later you can learn some grammar, but first it will be the best to just know what to say, and when to say it.

Just my 2 cents.
meet in rio
I would start with stock phrases ("How are you?"; "Where is the train station?") and then pick them apart with grammar later on. After learning four languages in a classroom situation and then doing Chinese from a more oral approach, I can say I definitely find that the Chinese comes more naturally to me. There's a lot of chanting and phrase repitition involved in that approach, but it feels easier to speak than the other four, even though it's actually more complicated.
Tvis
It's one thing to learn the language, another things is to remember it. If you do not have a "connexion" with the language you want to learn, you can study as hard as you can, but you will forget it later on. After a small period of time, you will be able to recover the knowledge, but the more time will pass by without practicing, the more difficult it will be to remember the grammatical constructions, etc. But if you DO have the connexion I advise to download songs in that language, watch TV channels in that language. And, learn words...I'm afraid it is not free, but you have to learn words. As many as possible, That is how I started with Spanish. And finding a book was really easy, in fact a friend gave it to me. To start with a bases. After that I moved to the country and once in the country, you will learn a language really fast. Good luck
raaeft1
I tried learning Japanese online but had to give up due to lack of personal coaching. I feel that I can learn the language if I join a physical class. I will explore audio-visual aids to learn the language.
Insanity
Duolingo has got to be one of the better ways to learn online for free. It works pretty well and it has mechanisms to make sure you don't forget what you've learned in the past. This way, you have to beef up on your old skills before you can start off on new skills. It's very achievement based, so you can complete certain categories and they get progressively harder. When you get to the higher levels though, you may have to redo certain categories more times because it's so hard. All the while you have to make sure your basic skills are up to snuff while you are exploring new territory.

But like most people here have already said, it makes more sense to completely immerse yourself in the language, and that's not really something that you can do with just an online learning program; you need to be able to speak it with other people and listen in on things like movies and music. If you employ all of these different factors, you'll find that learning a new language isn't really that hard.
coredotall
Its true that there are thousand ways to learn languages but the best way is auto learning by yourself. If you want to learn something you can learn from internet and try online chat its reliable.
spinout
hm often listen to the free vids on youtube, but also google translate is a funny way to improve you skill for free.
mshafiq
Internet is good source for getting good knowledge. There are lots of web sites you can Google and get knowledge what ever you want.
dan_l2
Just get into chats with and use google translate!
Abab
spazbutt32 wrote:
Well, >.>..

You could always find a software title that reviews say is really good, and download it illegally somewhere XD

but don't do that, or the FBI'll ban your ass D:

Why? Your library should have it as well (assuming you live in a quite big city) and you could have it for free. Also, if your library does not have it, you could always ask them about the possibility of an Inter-Library Loan (ILL).

Of course there was that time when I borrowed some Rosetta Stone and left it completely untouched untill I had to return it, so having the software does not always guarantee results.... Laughing
Abab
Also, to answer the original question, (somewhere where you can practice online), I think Duolingo is awesome Very Happy
Phpaddict
As cheh I learned english from practice (My first language is spanish Razz), by talking with friends from U.S.A. Online and thinks like that, but I strongly recommend "duolingo", I΄m learning Deutch and Italian there and it΄s kinda good.
loveandormoney
DaComboMan wrote:
I've been procrastinating on learning a new language like Spanish or German and, well, seeing that i spend plenty of time at the computer and of course, online. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a site where it would be easiest to start the process.

Learning with children is best but school days are long gone. Any ideas are most welcome! Thanks!

The most easy way to learn and the most cheap way to learn a language is to visit a chat.

Exampel: You want to learn Inonesian. Then You visit a Chat in Indonesia and in three days its no problem to order a lunch or ride a Taxi in Indonesian language.

When You are a silent person and You dont want to talk then buy an Indonesian TV channel and watch one month around the clock the TV and after one month You can perfect speak Indonesian or any other language.

Indonsian people are very friendly and very warm hearted.
kaysch
dan_l2 wrote:
Just get into chats with and use google translate!

Which is what I did when I learnt Spanish. However it doesn't work if your language skills are really basic. I find Google Translate far from being perfect. I usually have to adapt it in relation to what I want to say.
So my advice would be: find some online classes - there is a lot for free out there - and then start practising it by talking with somebody over the net and using Google Translate. At least that worked well for me.
When your language skills are getting better I find watching videos with subtitles a good option. The better you get, the less you have to read the subtitles and the more you can concentrate on the language spoken in the film.
But the ultimate way of learning a language is to visit the country (for example on vacation) and be forced to use the language every day. Of course that is not for free, but highly efficient and much better than by sticking to your books or online classes at home.
fuzzkaizer
I second that, to learn a language you could visit a country where they speak that language. this way you really get more than just "the language", it is also about another culture, another lifestyle, it's about relationships to people...
some say that by learning a language, you gain sort of another identity, that you are a slightly different person when you talk and think in a different language.
tonberry
What some people said here is probably the best advice you can get. Talking to people is the quickest way to learn a language. Nowadays, there are amazing possibilities to make that happen. In most bigger cities, there are meetings of people who speak or want to learn X language. It's a great exchange - people who want to learn language speak to its native speakers who want to learn the local language and so everyone benefits.

Couchsurfing was an amazing source to find people from around the world that want to travel but it was also great for training yourself in a foreign language. Nowadays it's gone down the drain so you'll have to find alternatives. There are many websites like that and you'll find them with ease through Google, but the community is fragmented.

Last but not least, do not dismiss courses even though they seem like a waste of money. It's true that you can learn EVERYTHING for free but the difference is in motivation - if you're not the kind of person who can create a schedule and then follow it without any discipline issues, they can help you. Not to mention that you'll meet new people who might even help land you a job with that language in the future.