FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

French lessons displayed on the forum

Frenetik
Few weeks ago, mackhenry come to the French section of the forum to ask help in French (in this thread). We helped him in the best way me can, but after this help, I had an idea.

Often on forums or in games, there are people who are learning a language and they have homework to do. And sometimes they come to ask help.

But I never saw forum sections which propose lessons to learn foreign languages. So I think that we can create a thread, or better a section which include all languages which are used in the forum (English, French, Polish, Turkish, Spanish, Portuguese and Dutch) in order to display lessons.

Of course these lessons don't aim to make homework, but it propose help. It can be usefull to people who are planning to go abroad, or to people who are interested into inproving some foreign languages.

Firstly, I think that lessons can be displayed in a tutorial-shaped thread, which explains the basics, and some tricks. And in following posts, harder and harder parts of the language. And after or near to this thread, there is the support thread, in order to help people in some specific cases, or if they didn't get a lesson, to explain it in another way.

I think that the help is displayed by some members who are native speaking and also have a good level in (at least) English. These members could have some rights, and the help should be principaly displayed by him (a question of security, of seriosity, and of capacity to help someone (I'm afraid that some idiots say silly things to people who just want to know a language better)

For the moment, I've talked of this in the French part, and I have one person who want to take part of this, for the French lessons, this is Granard. I'm also proposing my help.
James007
Well, THAT's a good idea.

Let's have a mini wordreference forum. Again, good idea!
tidruG
That's a great idea.
If possible, I will try and ask for it to be implemented somehow.
wumingsden
Yes, I also agree, it is a very good idea. It would also come in really useful for me too as i'm trying to learn Dutch. I kind of have a teacher (too hard to explain) but we're both busy at the moment. I have real trouble with the pronunciation, so if audio clips could also be included this would simply be an outstanding contribution to me and frihost as a whole .....

Whether it can (or will) be implemented is only Bondings guess (but seen as gurdit is already on the case I won't bug steve any more than I have to about this suggestion)
Frenetik
wumingsden wrote:
I have real trouble with the pronouniation, so if audio clips could also be included this would simply be an outstanding contribution to me and frihost as a whole .....

I also thought about this feature, and I can think that it can be done (of course using FriHost Very Happy). The pronounciation will be treated at least in the same way as any other point of a language, and maybe it'll be a key part of the tutorial.

By the way I don't think that speak a language means "know how to write and understand the sense" but it's more "to be understood abroad using your knowledge", and of course accordingly to that, audio clips will be included !

Thanks a lot for your fast and positive answers !

Today systemofaxav proposed his help in order to make good tutorials. And I hope he will not be the last !
wumingsden
Frenetik wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
I have real trouble with the pronouniation, so if audio clips could also be included this would simply be an outstanding contribution to me and frihost as a whole .....

I also thought about this feature, and I can think that it can be done (of course using FriHost Very Happy). The pronounciation will be treated at least in the same way as any other point of a language, and maybe it'll be a key part of the tutorial.

By the way I don't think that speak a language means "know how to write and understand the sense" but it's more "to be understood abroad using your knowledge", and of course accordingly to that, audio clips will be included !

Thanks a lot for your fast and positive answers !

Today systemofaxav proposed his help in order to make good tutorials. And I hope he will not be the last !

I'm learning dutch because I'm going Amsterdam in Feb for my 17th birthday, and I really don't want to be "just another stupid english tourist". I want to get to know the lifestyle and in my opinion for me to do that, I need to know a bit of their language.

(p.s - there is a private discussion about this and it seems to be rather like this thread, going extremely well. However, it is bondings that decides, no one else).
Marston
^ Amsterdam, hey? Shocked Wink

Anywho, I don't see why FriHost should have yet another forum; why not just visit a website dedicated to teaching french (frenchassistant.com, BBC French etc.)? In my opinion, a website geared towards teaching YOU french is much better than querying a webhosting community. To reiterate, in my opinion FriHost does not need to become more things than a webhost, and there are already way too many (unrelated) forums...
James007
Let's give people a chance to contribute other things too, shall we? Rolling Eyes
Marston
What is this? Wikipedia? Razz
SFMeatwad
James007 wrote:
Well, THAT's a good idea.

Let's have a mini wordreference forum. Again, good idea!

Agreed.
Blaster
hmm that would be interesting. I kinda want to learn polish. frihkipidea.com hey it could happen.
alkady
I can offer to help a bit in french, I'm fluent in that language and can offer translation help or something. Just knock on my PM if you need help.
unguest
I also want to contribute!!
I'm French and have a very good grammar and I also am sound technician so maybe I can help to find free softwares and give howto for them to give pronounciation exemples!
So my mother could be proud of me stop saying that I'm a lazy punk Wink .
So where is this thread? gimme news please!!!
hack_man_
Marston wrote:
^ Amsterdam, hey? Shocked Wink

Anywho, I don't see why FriHost should have yet another forum; why not just visit a website dedicated to teaching french (frenchassistant.com, BBC French etc.)? In my opinion, a website geared towards teaching YOU french is much better than querying a webhosting community. To reiterate, in my opinion FriHost does not need to become more things than a webhost, and there are already way too many (unrelated) forums...

I can't help but agree; if you want to learn a language, go to a site about that language! Do you think I would call the local pub or a taxi company if my house is on fire?
romaop
It would be a good idea to have a section called, let's say, language learning. People could ask for help. Others might provide answers or links. Some links could be actually videos or audio files. If legal concerns are solved there's no need to have internal audio files. Why not just linking to, let's say, a YouTube video and explain what is being said in that video?
Each person that wants to learn a language registers and is asked what languages he/she want to learn and also what languages he/she is fluent. In order to have a "credited" teacher, his/her messages could be checked to see if he/she actually knows the language.
Teaching lessons could concede extra frih points.
rvec
Great idea. If you came up with the idea a year ago it could've really helped me with my french and german.

A suggestion: Anyone who uses a lesson could donate some frih$ to the teacher. That way they are also rewarded.

btw. I am dutch and speak a bit Hebrew, French, English and German. I would enjoy helping others.
James007
The language forum has been created because of your request.
Thank you for your suggestion!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-79.html

-close-