FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

diference btwn bandwidth and discspace?

roddickfan
what is the difference between bandwidth and discspace?
How is bandwidth of a site calculated?
Bondings
roddickfan wrote:
what is the difference between bandwidth and discspace?
How is bandwidth of a site calculated?

Bandwidth is the amount of data you transfer, disk space is the amount of space you take on the hard disk.
roddickfan
oh..how is it calculated then?
but i transfer say 10mb..then the discspace taken is 10mb and so is the bandwidth,right?
yupeng
U can find the answer in google or yahoo.
Just learn to use serch engine
yupeng
(1) A range within a band of frequencies or wavelengths.
(2) The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. For digital devices, the bandwidth is usually expressed in bits per second(bps) or bytes per second. For analog devices, the bandwidth is expressed in cycles per second, or Hertz (Hz).

The bandwidth is particularly important for I/O devices. For example, a fast disk drive can be hampered by a bus with a low bandwidth. This is the main reason that new buses, such as AGP, have been developed for the PC.
roddickfan
yupeng wrote:
(2) The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. For digital devices, the bandwidth is usually expressed in bits per second(bps) or bytes per second. For analog devices, the bandwidth is expressed in cycles per second, or Hertz (Hz).

The bandwidth is particularly important for I/O devices. For example, a fast disk drive can be hampered by a bus with a low bandwidth. This is the main reason that new buses, such as AGP, have been developed for the PC.

TOO TECHNICAL..lol..actually i was refering to the server we use like 250mb is the discspace and 1gb/2gb is the bandwidth...whats that all about?
Maka
roddickfan wrote:
yupeng wrote:

TOO TECHNICAL..lol..actually i was refering to the server we use like 250mb is the discspace and 1gb/2gb is the bandwidth...whats that all about?

You have 250mb space and 10 gig bandwith. Cool
roddickfan
well i know that but does 2gb bandwidth mean that visitors can download stuff till 2gb?i mean to the limit of 2gb? like a user downloads data worth say 10mb and like that each user downloads some data and that data limit is 2gb.?
Maka
roddickfan wrote:
well i know that but does 2gb bandwidth mean that visitors can download stuff till 2gb?i mean to the limit of 2gb? like a user downloads data worth say 10mb and like that each user downloads some data and that data limit is 2gb.?

Huh? a user can dl the full 10 gig if they want. Whats this 2 gig you keep on about?.
mOrpheuS
Although I find it difficult to believe that you don't know the difference, since you are at the forum of a webhost, I'll still try to answer you.
(don't mind if you find the following to be too basic, I'm not presuming anything)

A file stored on a disk usually occupies some space on it.
and there's a limit to how much data storage space a disk has, and also there's a limit to how much data you'll be allowed to store on it - disk space.
To say you have 250 MB disk space, is to say that you can store files on your account until they occupy 250 MB in total on the webhost's sever.
(250 MB = 250 x 1024 x 1024 bytes)

Now when people visit your website it essentially means that they are transferring files from the webhost's server onto their computer through the internet.
bandwidth, in the context of hosting, means the amount of data transferred.
To say that you have 10 GB bandwidth is to say that people can view your site until the cumulative space occupied by the files thus transferred exceeds 10 GB (10 GB = 10 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes)

so basically (but not strictly), disk space limit governs the size of your website, while the bandwidth limit governs the number of times it can be viewed.
mark
bandwidth is the amount of data that gets transferred to your computer from the net. Check in your temporary internet files folder for further details. Disk Space is the amount of HDD or server space you can use to store your files.

For example, take a host:
10 GB bandwidth,
50 MB disk space

This means that 10 GB of total data can be downloaded on a computer (in total). When you exceed that space, your website cannot be viewed bcause the computer cant download the pages onto it!
50 MB disk space means you can store or host files on a computer or a server but the amount of space the file(s) take(s) should not exceed 50 megs.
billybob
bandwith is the amount of data transferd ie 10 people load a page that is 10k in size the thats 100k bandwith used as for disc space this is just the ammount of data stored
mark
billybob wrote:
bandwith is the amount of data transferd ie 10 people load a page that is 10k in size the thats 100k bandwith used as for disc space this is just the ammount of data stored

That is not necessarily true.
n0obie4life
We had enough discussions on this. The topic starter got his answer.

-close-