FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Good marks everything????

ccer
I want to ask a question to all the people.

IS MARKS EVERYTHING????

AS student studies the whole year and take exam at the end of the year, and does it mean by getting less marks in the exam He is not good at all in studies and he hasn't understood at all what is taught in class???

I don't think so.
I feel marks are not everything.
We need to learn and be able to practice it in our life and learn to be practical in life.
Marks wont give us food. What helps us survive is our intelligence and adaptational capability.
©Wolfie
It's better that you're happy, then you have good marks!
That's what I say!
biljap
I don’t believe that marks show how much somebody knows. I’ve seen people with highest marks who are incapable to deal with some practical tasks. On the other hand, there are people who don’t care about marks they get, they just want to finish their school as soon as possible and to start working. They don’t have bad marks because they are bad student but because they just don’t care about it and they want to move on as soon as possible. And they find jobs more quickly and start to get working experience.

But if you want to continue your education you must have good marks. It all depends of what you want to do with your carrier. Better marks can help you to get a better job, though I believe that working experience and knowledge is much more important.
Afaceinthematrix
gades mean little. for instance, my sister gets good grades but is a complete idiot. she get's decent grades because she does all her homework and tries too hard. but like i said, she's a complete idiot even though she spends hours on homework. i'm a slacker, though. i do very little of my homework, i don't study at all, yet when i take a test i always do very good because i know the stuff well. i hear it or see it once and usually i have it down after that. as far as test go, i'm near the top of my school but many people get better grades than me because i'm lazy and don't work.
fbcompany
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
gades mean little. for instance, my sister gets good grades but is a complete idiot. she get's decent grades because she does all her homework and tries too hard. but like i said, she's a complete idiot even though she spends hours on homework. i'm a slacker, though. i do very little of my homework, i don't study at all, yet when i take a test i always do very good because i know the stuff well. i hear it or see it once and usually i have it down after that. as far as test go, i'm near the top of my school but many people get better grades than me because i'm lazy and don't work.

Well grades are as much a test of intelligence as your willingness to work hard and to apply yourself.

A lazy smart person is useless.

A keen hard working person of average intelligence is better.

So yes grades are important.

They are a test for essentially the same things you do in a real world, perhaps on stuff that is less meaningful or helpful. But give a good indication of how you will perform in the real world.

They also act as a way of seperating the crap from the cream.
fbcompany
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Well grades are as much a test of intelligence as your willingness to work hard and to apply yourself.

A lazy smart person is useless.

A keen hard working person of average intelligence is better.

So yes grades are important.

They are a test for essentially the same things you do in a real world, perhaps on stuff that is less meaningful or helpful. But give a good indication of how you will perform in the real world.

They also act as a way of seperating the crap from the cream.
littletomi714
For you to succeed in life, you need a job. In order to get a job, you need some form of degree. And the only way to get that is through school. If you get good marks during school, it usually leads to a good job. But also, I know this guy who has studied all his life and got straight A's through college. But his future now is in the corner street begging for money because he didn't have the street smarts to survive. So I don't think having good marks is the number one priority but it benefits to do have them.
mstreet
I think grades are important but Experience is better especially Volunteering can't get enough of it. It will show an employer that you are really keen.
Drawingguy
So if grades are so slight, then why have them at all? Obviously they're useless, because doing well in school is apparantly the worst indicator available as to whether or not you understand the work given, as well as the discipline needed.

I really dislike the excuse that one is both highly intelligent and simultaneously lazy, since it merely appears to be some sort of consolation as to why his/her expectations are not met. It's certainly easier to believe that poor grades are due to laziness, as opposed to a lack of intelligence, but nonetheless, laziness should never be an excuse.

Of course, that's not to say that 'grade-grinding,' and hours spent poring over text should be the only thing in one's life. As social animals, not one can function without having some rudimentary understanding of common courtesy, as well as social etiquette, much less get a good job.
speedwaffle
I think the saying goes, you're grades and 25 cents will buy you a cup of coffee or something like that. In reality, that's not entirely true, but unless you're at a tier 1 school, getting a job or going to professional school (MD, PhD, etc...) is going to be more focused on you're communication abilities, team work, and in the case of furthering education, test scores. Take a PhD program for example, if you're test scores are good, most likely you can be admitted into some (notice, not all, but some) programs if you're grades are average. However, once in the program, you'll most likely have to maintain a good level of marks and pass multiple qualifying exams (I know this was the case for me in Chemical Engineering) before being admitted to candidacy.

Having good grades is obviously a plus, but being average is not the end of the line. You just have to raise your standard when you get into the work force/grad school and show you're worth to you're employer through determination, communication, etc...
sabeerkibria
Grades are a large part of school. However, there are other things that are needed to be successful, or at least that's what I think. I think that a leadership organization membership is also just as important.
TribalArt
Grades are important and unfair at the same time.

Some people may not be able to cope with exams and fail however they know alot about the course.

Also exams are often pinpointed to nitty bits Like History AS.

But thats me
MasterfulMongoose
good grades arent everything, i mean you need community service and extra curriculars to get into college too.

nah im just kidding, i think that some people dont realize that everything you do in high-school is to get into college. you need to learn how to function in life and that most certainly isnt taught in my school....

dunno bout yours tho.
dzign
I don't think "Mark is Everything" in term of measuring someone's skill, but mark is one of the tool to measure how people understand something. Good grade sometimes can produce confidence, in this case, people might think he is doing well on something and mark is the result of it. In the other word, mark can be the reflection of how people understand something. But, mark itself is not everything to determine people's life.

The hard part is, sometimes mark does not really reflect the true self of the people. The other thing, most of people believe that mark is the corect measurement especially when someone want to do further study or even for fresh graduate who wants to apply a job. If no experience can be shown, emloyer can only see iether the portfolios (if design is the job being applied) or the mark for something else. and of course interview to see the attitude of someone. But, again, mark can be something important to give "first impression" to someone
Arnie
It also involves how hard you worked for it, of course!
ganesh
I had asked the same question to myself when I was in school.. Now that I have finished my schooling, completed my bachelors and Masters degrees, I feel that I have gained enough experience to talk about this.

I had many friends who used to score comparatively less marks compared to some other friends. Now, both sets of friends are earning the same salary and are at the same level in their jobs. So, eventually, what matters is whether you are street smart or not. However, that said, I should also caution that if you are having better marks from the outset, lots of things get simplified later in life (like getting admission into a good college, which in turn makes it easier for you to get into a good job.. and so on).. Thus, I would say that it is better to obtain as high marks as possible and to work hard towards it.
the_mariska
hahah, in the name of 'good marks aren't everything', I decided not to retake my last exam, though I recieved only '3' [something like 'C' in international scale], and I could take it once again with no negative consequences. Instead, I chose to come back home [haven't been there since Christmas], and to start enjoying my winter holidays. I am quite concerned I made a good choice Wink
Soltair
Marks are important, because they show your interest and what you remembered. However, you are much too right, it isn't everything. Experience is something also very important once on the market. Also, practical intelligence, manual ability, creativity, diplomacy, dynamism and motivation are very important values in general. A combination of all those factors and others that I surely forgot make you what you are and sets who will be looking or not for you.

It all depends on the individual! Wink
yy1124
Don't think so,

good students may not get good marks also because some of them don't care a shit....

But in the current society, marks are use to evaluate one's capabilities....its still important, thus unfortunately, although its not everything you will still have to try your best to get better marks
ZealousZ
i don't think there is such thing as a good student who doesn't care
marks are just an indicator of the work ethic/habits of a given person, not really how smart they are
everyone has the potential to get amaxing marks, it's the ones who are willing to push themselves and have the desire to do well who are going to get those good marks; it's all self-imposed
roninmedia
Grades are not everything. There are many people who work hard, get good grades, but end up doing something that they don't even love.

Balance grades with a subject you enjoy.
Da Rossa
ccer wrote:
I want to ask a question to all the people.

IS MARKS EVERYTHING????

AS student studies the whole year and take exam at the end of the year, and does it mean by getting less marks in the exam He is not good at all in studies and he hasn't understood at all what is taught in class???

I don't think so.
I feel marks are not everything.
We need to learn and be able to practice it in our life and learn to be practical in life.
Marks wont give us food. What helps us survive is our intelligence and adaptational capability.

This complicated, not to discuss, but to undestand.
1- If the marks system was faulty, then it would already have been replaced by another - there is a plethora of educational scientists and analysts out there.
2- You should not take into account one single, or even 3 bad marks, they're isolated cases. Plus, they can be due to the teacher/professor that wrote the exam. But, in an overall consideration, if you have bad marks then it means that you're not capable of doing EXACTLY WHAT WAS PROPOSED, and with bad, bad marks I'd say you're wasting your precious time and disrespecting the teacher.
davey
Having good marks in school being the top of the class etc, do look good and will get you into a good college/university but I would not say they can make or break you. People that et bad marks are not all dumb.
Sokken
ecentially marks are an indicator. Achieving something in life requires both intelligence and hard work. a little lack of one can be compensated by the other.
School is ecentially about learning and training skills I think this is what is important, marks is an indicator of your succes.
mawfia
There is a phrase that is thrown around occasionally and it goes along the lines of, "A students for C students". Meaning the brains of the class end up doing all the arduous work while the students that are capable of intereacting and that can assert themselves end up succeeding the most. It depends on what career interests you. In a lot of cases however it doesnt matter how good or talented at something you are if you cannot advertise or communicate your ability. And often times people with very little abilty or talent end up succeeding simply because they can sell themself or assert enough to convince others they have what they are looking for.
chrismen
Well for me some good marks would surely make me happier. I need to grades to get back my scholarship. Also I learned the first day in college a story about three people and the one that did best in life was not the Harvard-educated straight A student but instead the one that got good enough grades and was outgoing.
paulbarter2
I think that it depends on what you want to do. For some jobs you need a University qualification or you wont even get an interview. And for that you need good marks to get in to University. On the other hand a lot of people who did not do well at school do well in business. I think that in whatever you do you need to work hard, learn from your mistakes and dont be afraid to try something and give it everything - then you will (eventually) be a success!
loophole64
When I was in high school, I did very poorly for the most part. I had the opposite problem of doing bad on tests. I did great on tests, but hardly ever did my homework. I often would have a C in a class where my exam averages were above 90%. I also did well on standardized tests. I had a 1300 SAT and a 29 ACT. High school just didn't interest me enough to make me want to sit down and do work. It wasn't that I didn't care, it was just that I couldn't bring myself to sit down and do my homework.

I did do well in math and science classes sometimes, but usually only if homework wasn't regularly graded. I did poorly in college too, and eventually left for a programming job before I was finished.

Everything worked out in the end, as I make good money doing something I love, but the first few years were hard. I found that I didn't have the ability to finish things. I would work on a project, and it would take a long time for me to finish because I never really learned to follow something through to the end. I also had a hard time staying focused for 8 hours a day.

It's important to learn how to work hard in high school on things that you don't want to, so that you are good at working when you get out. It's an important skill to have.
greatfire
I'm still in High school and all of my teachers tell me that grades aren't everything. Most teachers think i'm a nightmare. I do well in every test they throw at me. I finish everything early without homework. Then i get bored and muck around in class. So no, grades arent everything, you need to focus in class as well. The lack of focus is a huge problem
m00tmuffin
Good grades aren't everything exactly...you could have a student of average intelligence who gets straight A's and a genius who get's D's and C's but just has no motivation...if you get good grades it shows that in most cases you're a pretty smart kid, to begin with, and also that you care about your future. If you completely blow off your schoolwork, no matter how smart you are, a college admissions person is going to look at your transcript and go "hmm...this kid obviously didn't care much to maintain his grades enough, and probably won't care in college..." and will pass over your appplication with relative ease. Now, yeah, we could factor in that some kids just don't do well with certain types of tests...or some kids just suck at writing essays, but there is not one single class that is really made up of one core type of test. And if you do all your homework (or most of it) you should be fine anyway...that's where most kids seem to get stuck, with the homework thing. And of course, there are kids with undiagnosed (and diagnosed) learning disorders that never get help, but there is always tutoring available inside and outside of school for struggling students. It's just an easy way to gauge something that is going to be an important quality in a college student...and if you don't like it, well, maybe you should go the art school route, like me. /wink
DocWonton
grades are not the only things that are important. a lot med schools for example, are looking for students who not only have a high GPA but also with liberal arts interests. the students need to know not only how to prescribe drugs and operate but also how to treat people from a variety of cultures.

This does not mean however that you can forget about your GPA or studying for important tests. several tests like the SAT, MCAT, ACT, etc can "make you or break you".
linangan
Of course grades aren't everything. Because, first of all, not all professors grade the same way. Some teachers will give you a high grade just because you have perfect attendance, while some will even hesitate to give you a passing grade for all your hard work because they have really high standards.

Secondly, you obviously can't be good at everything. Here, we have General Education subjects in college -- subject everyone is required to take regardless of their major. So you can't expect all engineering students to do well in public speaking class, and you can't expect that all theatre majors would be good at advanced calculus.

Then of course, personally, you can't expect me to try and do my best at a subject if my professor sucks so obviously at his profession, or if a subject doesn't interest me at all (e.g. one of the worthles general education subjects like Science, Tecnology and Society).

Grades were never anything to me, specifically because I know how much I know and I study on my own outside of school if something really interests me. A number can't be my or others' only basis of how I am as an academic, or how I am as a person.
rheanna
Grades are everything if you want to get into specific college. Plus you get nice rewards for the grades. Studying hard you'll get the satisfaction when you see the grade outcome. Also a lot major companies (Like if you want to be a lawyer) will look at your grades.

Ex. I have a 3.86 G.P.A

I was published Nationwide in
The All American Scholar's Collegiate Directory Vol. 14
(A teacher has to refer you to this one. I believe)

I was also was published in "NAFE" But I'm far from an Executive. So, I don't why they keep contacting me.

National Dean's List, Phi Theta Kappa Honor's Society
(Everyone gets those thou)

GL and study hard...Don't be half fast. Get it done right the first time.
utamnis
What do you know at the end of the day?

That's what is important. Grades are a great tool and need to be taken seriously by teacher and student alike but what do you know??

It is not uncommon for a good student to do poorly on exams or for a mediocre student to do very well. It is unfortunate when the exam is the end of it. My kids have a fit when I have them redo assignments and tests. You learn the most from the ones you get wrong. Go back - find the right answer - figure out what you did wrong and correct it. This is where the learning really begins and takes hold. I don't care if you got a 97% or a 67% - correct your errors.

Too bad this doesn't transfer on a transcript but it is how we learn. Hopefully, if started early enough and retained as habit, overall performance will improve. Study habits and exam techniques must be developed over time.

There are a dozen ways that people learn. A teacher, especially in primary education, may employ one or two of the most common in a class of 25-30 kids. There are then 8-10 kids who are tagged 'dyslexic', 'ADD' or some other convenient label that absolves the teacher of any further responsibility. Reading, writing and 'rithmetic need to be approached from several angles to ensure children are not dropped through the cracks.

Grades "ain't nothing but a thang"; education is for keeps.
Insanity
People use grades as an indicator for how much you have learned, and use tests for those grades. Generally speaking, I think that people do believe that this works, otherwise they wouldn't be using it so much.

Much of it also depends on how the grades are calculated. There are some classes where it all depends on one final; thus, if you had a bad day or blanked out for some reason, your grade will inevitably drop. In this way, grades won't show much of how much you learned.