FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The blue screen of death

Margalo
Most Microsoft users have encountered it, but I've never understood what it means. Anyone have any successful methods of avoiding it?
Bones
The only way to avoid BSOD's is to not use a computer. A BSOD is just an error message, and almost all blue screen errors are caused by hardware or driver failures, so the problem isn't usually even in Windows.
sunpascal
Bones wrote:
The only way to avoid BSOD's is to not use a computer. A BSOD is just an error message, and almost all blue screen errors are caused by hardware or driver failures, so the problem isn't usually even in Windows.

The blue screen of death is usually related to hard ware problems. But they are actually specific to windows and it is a problem of how windows handles hardware problems.
I have had these problems on windows xp with a broken hard disk. Besides that, I havn't encountered the bsod. I think it has been replaced with a more friendly error message in windows xp "the problem is not responding", etc. I had more bsod in windows 98 and windows 2000.
aniaw8
Bones wrote:
The only way to avoid BSOD's is to not use a computer.

I've got a better idea: USE LINUX !!! Very Happy
You will get error messages in black and white then Wink
TheGeek
Linux actually does give error messages in the form of a blue screen depending on what the error actually is. Though you will never get an error unless you messed something up yourself, Linux can't just error without human error or hardware failure.

Chances are, if you get a blue screen one of two things is wrong. Either you have a corrupted file that is causing some sort of problem with the operating system or your hard drive is corrupt. The blue screens often show a problem with a specific file or directory path and will ask you to push any key to continue or the blue screen will stay up no matter what you do until you reboot.

The other problem could be with your RAM. If you get a blue screen and you get a message saying that it is doing a memory dump or it just is blue for a split second and then shuts down, odds are the RAM is to blame.

A blue screen can also be caused by just about any other piece of hardware that gets an error, however, Microsoft has come up with other error messages as well, including the "this program is not responding" message to try to say they don't "crash" as often. Windows XP is probably the best one yet with this as I have only gotten bluescreens when I am overclocking and accidentally drive the memory speeds up to high and cause one of the memory dump blue screens.
mattneed
The blue screen of death (BSOD), is the informal name given by users to the Windows general protection fault (GPF) error. Named in honor of the error's dreaded display image of white text on a blue background, the BSOD is generated by the operating system when it has suddenly terminated with an error. The system locks up and must be rebooted. The blue screen may include some hexadecimal values from a core dump that can potentially be used to determine what caused the crash.
The blue screen of death can strike anyone, anywhere. At the Comdex trade show, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates encountered the blue screen during a demonstration of Windows 98. (He had a spare computer standing by.)

But seriosly the only way to not get it is to not use a computer. LOL
NEurodrOne
BSOD, the yang of computer OSes functional aspects, was the method of acquainting a user with the PC in those days of Windoze. The matter although will have to be treasured in the most disgruntling histories of PC operations as Microsoft has innovated the way of troubling their users.
Welcome RSoD ! Twisted Evil

The latest Vista is going to be equipped with such weapons as opposed to the earlier ones. The RSoD, used for the boot-loader errors, hopefully should not bug us innocent victims as the BSoD had done, although at the moment we can only hope. Rolling Eyes

For more info on BSOD:
Quote:
The Blue Screen of Death (sometimes called "bluescreen", "stop error" or just abbreviated as "BSoD") is a popular name for the screen displayed by Microsoft's Windows operating system when it cannot recover from, or is in danger of being unable to recover from, a system error. There are two Windows error screens that are both referred to as the blue screen of death, with one (Windows NT 4/2000/XP) being significantly more serious than the other (Windows 9x). There are several causes of the blue screen popping up. It can be a poorly-written device driver, bad memory, damaged registry or usage of incompatible versions of DLLs (see more on the "Types of blue screens" section).

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSOD/

Margalo wrote:

Most Microsoft users have encountered it, but I've never understood what it means. Anyone have any successful methods of avoiding it?

Well, if u google for it may find lot of references on various types of errors and their corresponding solutions. But if u are too lazy, Razz , the following application will take care of it automatically.

Blue Screen Error Fixer: http://www.dxhtml.com/blue-screen/index2.html

regards.