FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SiteX

GameFreak
Check out my new site, SiteX. Here's a link:
http://www.sitex.net.tc

It is seriously a Web Designers' Suite. You can learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and even the basics of Flash. There are many useful tips regarding PHPBB as well. There are also many Flash Menus, Graphics, Flash Logos, Flash Sites and Web Templates as well. They are absolutely free!

You can also become a member if you like, join the Forums. There, you can also become a VIP Member. Then, you can get some special graphics, scripts, etc.

Other than that, we have many teams that are worth joining - the Graphic Team, the Mod Team and the Web Team.

So, come on and join today!
the6thfactor
Not to be harsh, but I think the site itself need some aid in graphics and coding Confused I think you need a much cleaner layout in order to advertise any type of help service for graphics or code.

Don't give up though, keep working at it
GameFreak
Yea, that's why I started a Web Team and Graphics Team.
fx-trading-education
One comment: it's difficult to see the sub menu in green on the left. When the mouse is on top of it it turns red and that's OK but before it's difficult to read what is there.
GameFreak
Right, I've changed the link colours.
einstein
you still need to change the layout!!!
Alie
Change your font size with CSS. Your subtitles look smaller then content, also with 8pt size all the page will look nicer I think...
Content blocks... Make few pixels of free space between border of the block and content in it. Just like in your upper news blog.

Content is nice by the way:)

I hope it will help you Twisted Evil
{name here}
Do not use px in your font sizes - that defines fonts as a constant size and thus the blind and the people who use large screens can't read your microsite. Also ditch the frames and marquees.
Ranfaroth
Before trying to teach web technologies to visitors, read this presentation...
pashmina
cool site with loads of information.
Alie
2 Ranfaroth: this is the difference between teaching someone and copying lessons from other resources Wink
Anyway, maybe it's just problem in time....
GameFreak
Ranfaroth wrote:

What exactly do you want to prove?
plato
unfortunately, bad design! Exclamation
benjad
Yup, i would not heed much advise if it came from a site that looks like this...

- Scrolling marquee at the top... get rid of it... marquees are out

- bouncing / animated sitex ... rendered at waay to low resolution. Looks very poor.

- Way too much wasted space in headers. Remember some ppl are viewing at 800x600 or less...

- table and frame bases layout. Both NOT recommended for modern page design.

- Nav bar basically unstyled. Default link blue on 20% grey background is nearly unreadable. No margins to allow ease of reading in navbar.

- news box takes up entire main content vertical.. hiding the content below it.

- tips pages all are very cramped and hard to read. Try to play with padding/spacing/margins and put some reading space in there. Google how ppl read to help you layout text in a more natural form.

- tips cover WAAY to broad topics. Start in one very specific area, and write to it. then expand to other areas. when you talk about file extensions and hardware on the same page.... your missing ALOT!

You have done alot of hard work to get to this point. So, here is my advice. STOP NOW. Read through these few pages, then put your site together again.

http://csszengarden.com/

then start here: http://www.westciv.com/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/index.html

After you have read through this, build your site again. You will notice improvements right away.

[EDIT: I'm not saying stop because I hate it. Your looking at someone who has spent TIME converting sites from tables/frames into css... when he should have just used CSS in the first place. Yup, it's that important...]
Ranfaroth
GameFreak wrote:
Ranfaroth wrote:

That your code is horrible, so nobody will trust what you're trying to teach, since it's obvious that you're still a very beginner in web technologies Rolling Eyes
GameFreak
Ranfaroth wrote:
GameFreak wrote:
Ranfaroth wrote:

That your code is horrible, so nobody will trust what you're trying to teach, since it's obvious that you're still a very beginner in web technologies Rolling Eyes

I think you're being really rude.

And as for the beginner thing, I've been working with Web Technologies for over 3 years now. Is that considered as a "beginner" ?
{name here}
GameFreak wrote:
Ranfaroth wrote:
GameFreak wrote:
Ranfaroth wrote:

I think you're being really rude.

And as for the beginner thing, I've been working with Web Technologies for over 3 years now. Is that considered as a "beginner" ?

Considering how long it takes for people to master any markup, scripting or programming language you are a beginner. You still have a lot to learn to lean things up, enhance them, et cetera.
Ranfaroth
GameFreak wrote:
I don't want to be rude, but just look at your code, and read the link I gave... Yes, you're a beginner Rolling Eyes
rajhank
gud site, i wont say it is a website that is very well made but still a lot of hard work has been done on it.

Keep up the gud work.
benjad
I have thought long and hard before responding to this thread again.. but here I go anyway...

What I see happening here is a slight culture clash. If you have been dabbling with various web stuff for the last three years, you have missed alot.

We have already gone through a phase of web design which was called "geocities" where everything was cheesy animated gif's, and everything danced, jumped around, and played background midi's.

That phase is in the past. We grew out of it.

Today, it's all about a clean site, with highly visible content ,accessible text, and validated code. Today's web site are using transitional XHTML and CSS for styling (no style in HTML). For scripting, php and asp rule. Javascript, DHTML, frames, and tables (for laying out content) are all out. We have seen the results of poorly formed code.

What I would recommend you do is [as I have said already] stop right now. Not because what you have done is bad, but because you need to learn more before you start teaching anything.

Visit http://www.w3c.org , and just start exploring around. See what the current recommendations are.

Visit http://www.alexa.com/ and see what the hottest sites on the globe are. View their code, see how they do things.

Two more questions.

#1 what are you designing your pages with? Most sites anymore are hand coded. If you are using a WYSIWYG editor, most likely it is creating awful spaghetti code for you. Learn to code it by hand.

#2 Are you writing your own content? If so, then great. If you are copying and pasting as has been suggested, you need to delete that content. You can only post your orginal content.

Lastly, please do read up some more on what you are posting. I opened the html tips page to try to find something to support you. Then, I discovered that the #1 tip is about the <marquee> tag. This is NOT HTML. Search for any HTML specifications that have a marquee tag. It is a hack that MS added. It plain old should not be used. Then, you give an example of it inside an unnecessary table.

Please do some research before you continue. I want you to move forward and produce some awesome looking stuff. But, what you are posting is bad looking, obsolete and incomplete information.