FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving programs from one HD to another [WinXP]

LukeakaDanish
Hi all,

I have just got myself a new hard drive, and would like to move some of my programs/games from my old one to my new one, to make everything run faster and eventually enable me to reinstall my windows without loosing too much data.

What I would like to ask you techies is: will my programs stop working if i drag/drop them from one HD to another? - more specifically, I would very much like to keep my firefox stuff, and my Steam games/settings - can these to programs be drag/dropped?

Thanks in advance

- Luke
zeene
Drag and drop is not a viable option here as most of the setting you don't wan to loose are some in the register and some hidden folders.

An option is to have your other hard disk plugged in and Try Windows Transfer settings wizard (Never tried this myself though). Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Transfer Settings Wizard.

Another is to back-it up on a DVD or CD if you have a writer. Probably copy you files and folder Most especailly you "Documents and Settings" folder in Drive C: After installing and so, copy and replace the files (be careful about this)

And that's it.
LukeakaDanish
Thanks for the response.

I tried the wizard - but it doesn't seem to do that - rather it intends to transfer files from one pc to another.

Transferring the my documents stuff shouldn't be a problem - I know that works fine with drag and drop - I was just hoping that there was some way to keep my firefox extensions and progress in various games.
Animal
This won't work because of all the entries in the registry. If the new hard disk is a replacement drive, you could simply use something like Norton Ghost to make an image of the current hard disk then copy it onto the new one. However, if the disk is used in conjunction with the original HD, there's not really an easy way to do it - you'll need to uninstall then reinstall your programs.
TheGeek
sometimes if you either go to Add/Remove Programs you can repair the installation which sometimes allows you to repair it telling it to go onto another drive which would change the registry keys necessary to continue normal functions. Another option is to use the original disk or install exe and usually when you go to re-install a program that you already have it will ask if you want to remove, re-install or repair the install, once again do the repair and it should ask you to re-select a drive.

Games are a little different. Often they do not have registry keys that are critical for them to function, thus you can usually get away with moving the game folder or at least your game saves so that you can re-install and then just re-put your game files into their new home.
LukeakaDanish
Thanks TheGeek, that was really useful Smile
Hogwarts
Animal wrote:
This won't work because of all the entries in the registry. If the new hard disk is a replacement drive, you could simply use something like Norton Ghost to make an image of the current hard disk then copy it onto the new one. However, if the disk is used in conjunction with the original HD, there's not really an easy way to do it - you'll need to uninstall then reinstall your programs.

Yes there is.

All that needs to be done is that registry files need to be copied and edited, along with the files. Sometimes, files also put a file into %systemroot%, so you would also have to copy the files from that for whatever software you're copying.

I've done this on numerous occasions and it's worked. Although, I suggest you be careful when playing around in the registry Wink
urangkayo
If you move game like FM 2007, or Counter Strike (or game like that) it's simple, just copy your game direktori into your new OS (DISK)
the game will run in your new system.

but if you want to move programs like Office, ACDSEE, Macromedia, i think it's impossible because you must editing the registry too.

or maybe you can make a copy or image from them using Norton Ghost maybe Smile