FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can Mac OS be run in Windows??

pashmina
Can Mac OS run in the Windows and Vice Versa??
what would be the advantage of doing so?? is there disadvantage because it will eat up memory in windows???
TheGeek
I'm almost 100% sure you can do OSX in Windows simply by using VMware or possibly even QEMU. Windows in OSX would be possible through the same method assuming there is VMware for OSX or a similar program.

As for the memory issue. Yes, VMware uses up A LOT, and I repeat, A LOOOOT of memory when you are running windows and another operating system on top in VMware.

I have run VMware inside windows before and running Debian linux inside VMware, my computer that has 1GB of RAM was running at 80% memory usage constantly, normally my computer only uses about 30-40%. If you do run an OS inside an OS usually 2GB or higher is my suggestion.
pashmina
Thank you for this information. ani how about using windows in a MAC OS??/ any idea?
{name here}
pashmina wrote:
Thank you for this information. ani how about using windows in a MAC OS??/ any idea?

You can use Virtual PC, Xen, or some other VM if you want full compatibility. Or if you have an application that works on the Wine compatability list and you have an x86 mac you can use Wine to use windows applications, although some may not work.
Kd527
If you have an Intel-based Macintosh computer, you can easily download Boot Camp (available at http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) and use that for dual-booting Windows and Mac OS X. Or if you want to run them both at the same time on an Intel Mac (at the expense of not as good hardware performance), you can buy Parallels Desktop for Mac. If you're on an older, PowerPC-based Mac, your options are more limited. You could use Microsoft Virtual PC, but it's painfully slow because it's emulating an Intel architecture.

I believe there are also some other alternatives out there, but these are the major players.
sush
MacOS runs flawlessly on almost any normal PC with a little tinkering. Nothing more on that.

Apple's Boot Camp is the official way to run Windows XP on an Intel Mac.
johnkimb5
You might be able to run Mac OS on a Windows computer, but I have heard that it was illegal or something. Maybe not... I'm not sure. However, you can run Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ or with a virtualization software like Parallels http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/. Hope this helps!
urangkayo
pashmina wrote:
Can Mac OS run in the Windows and Vice Versa??
what would be the advantage of doing so?? is there disadvantage because it will eat up memory in windows???

it's possible to run mac os in windows, linux in windows or windows in mac os or windows in linux with using emulator like VMWare , Virtual PC
Srs2388
Yeah, there are patched dvd images for it Jas google *trust me* you'll find that Wink
JamesBond
i have heard that Microsoft and Apple Inc. are heading for an agreement that will enable users to install MacOSX on a normal PC and vice versa without using software such as VMWare??

is that true??
pashmina
JamesBond wrote:
i have heard that Microsoft and Apple Inc. are heading for an agreement that will enable users to install MacOSX on a normal PC and vice versa without using software such as VMWare??

is that true??

yah, i heard the same news on the internet.
TheGeek
They may be talking about doing it, and personally I would love if they did. However, since Microsoft sells purely software and Apple sells both hardware and software. Apple says in their license that you must use Apple software only on Apple hardware or else you are violating their copyright. On the other hand since Microsoft does not, not benefit from you putting Windows on a Mac versus a PC since they only sell software. Putting Windows on a Mac is perfectly legal since it says nothing about it in their copyright policy.

If Apple and Microsoft do make some sort of an agreement saying that Mac OSX can be installed on PC and Windows on a Mac then that seems like it would hurt the Mac market much more than it would hurt the Windows market. Because once you can put OSX on a PC...what is the advantage to buying Apple's extremely overpriced hardware? If some sort of an agreement does come to be then I think we will see the demise of Apple computers and a rise to Apple operating systems side by side with Microsoft operating systems.
g0ldeng0d
Yes, Mac OSx can be run on Windows and on Linux what ever, but you must have installed some kind of virtual machine. I prefer VMware on openSUSE 10.2 with 1GB RAM on VM, that's my VM on which I'm learning Mac OSx.
sabe
Mr. Geek,

I have thought that Apple would die many times. They seem to keep on. Look @ Ipod. Apple does not need computers.

About the OS. I am talking from ignorance here, but now that apple is using the intel chip the hardware for Apple is different. There is no proprietary hardware in Apple. Apple is now a software company. There is no reason for them not to open their OS except for bad marketing.
tsabo
I guess, the best choice is HACKINTOSH - www.osx86project.org
WindowsXP, Vista, macOSX, linux - all available on the same hardware.
I use this solution more than one year, and I am satisfied.
Srs2388
Yes... a PC can run os x.
yes a mac can run windows.
If Apple made an OS X installer for PC and sold it... I would most def. buy it.
turbosquid
I seem to remember a while ago coming across a website which i cant remember the name of but they were running OSX on x86 hradware using a seemingly complicated custom install routine and what apeared to be a kind of emulation program written purley to run OSX. I think the site may have been:-

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

but i'm not to sure, I have just came across another website which shows various methods of intalling OSX on x86 hardware, check it out here:-

http://www.osx86project.org/

more specifically here:-

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Simple_Dual_Boot

Hope this helps

TuboSquid
cheeta
With intel x86 processor and PearPC and hell lot of a effort u can do it.. Very Happy

how ever, these installs are very unstable and Slow... and not maintioning, buying a mac os x is kind a costly to just experiment like that... also MAC user Policy may not allow that...