FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Historical Biographies

lyddi8
I'm at the last stage of Marie Antoinette: The Journey, by Antonia Fraser, and i'm really enjoying it. I think Antonia Fraser is a good biographer because she seems to be fair without being stiflingly objective.
I've never been much of a history buff, but after this i'm looking forward to reading another. I'm thinking maybe something about Louis XIV; Alexander the Great; Catherine the Great... I don't know.
What other well written (interesting) historical biographies are out there that anyone could recommend?
Wink As a side note, I was looking at a bookstore website and stumbled across "Satan: A Biography". LMAO- I think that's a bit before the timeframe i was looking for!
TurtleShell
I DEFINITELY recommend the Memoirs of Cleopatra, by Margaret George. I'm not sure if you're speaking of an actual biography, or if you're talking about historical fiction (MG writes historical fiction, not a flat-out biography). I hear that she does a good job with research, though, and that her books are pretty historically accurate (as much as they can be). Memoirs of Cleopatra continues to be the sexiest book I've ever read, and margaret George made Cleopatra my hero for that year:)
lyddi8
thanks turtleshell!!

That book is next on my list-- as long as there is some research behind the book, it doesn't bother me whether it's an absolute biography or historical fiction... as long as the story is good with a bit of fact thrown in-- be back in a couple of weeks to discuss Cleopatra some more. Smile
TurtleShell
Great! Can't wait!! But one thing I didn't mention--it's a long book. 900 pages? All her books are quite lengthy. She also wrote the Autobiography of Henry VIII and Helen of Troy, both of which I read, and they're also very long. I'm a slowish reader, so it took me a while to get through them. Hope that doesn't stand in your way:)