FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About downtime of Frihost

ibay
I want to ask if anyone here knows the credibility of Autowebcheck.com
I put my frihost site on auto check through that site and it shows a lot of downtime in the form of downed internet connection (nearly everyday).
Are they showing false reports to entice users into joining their own web hosting?
Bondings
There definately still is some downtime, but it's already better than it used to be.

I've never heard of Autowebcheck.com before, so I can't comment on it.

http://host-tracker.com/web-site-monitoring-stats/222372/
Marston
^ I get the feeling that website checks by pings (or some method other than HTTP); AutoWebCheck must be doing it by HTTP (which would explain the amount of downtime ACW would be showing).
Bondings
Marston wrote:
^ I get the feeling that website checks by pings (or some method other than HTTP); AutoWebCheck must be doing it by HTTP (which would explain the amount of downtime ACW would be showing).

I didn't set that one up, but it's supposed to be with http checks. At least the one of server 1 is (by my knowledge).

Also what AutoWebCheck might report is just that there is regularly some downtime, but it only last a few seconds/minutes.
ibay
Bondings wrote:

Also what AutoWebCheck might report is just that there is regularly some downtime, but it only last a few seconds/minutes.

Autowebcheck shows the exact time and the duration when the host goes down, but I don't have any problem with Frihost going down for any amount of time.
I got suspicious only after I put a Godaddy.com hosted site (not mine) on Autowebcheck and it showed that site to be down for 8 minutes, and the reason it showed was 'Internet Connection Down', I didn't believe that.
Autowebcheck gave the same reason for Frihost downtime.
So I would request Bondings to clarify if Frihost server went down because of internet connection or some other reason.
Bondings
If they mean the actual internet connection in the datacenter, then for sure it's either their internet connection or fiction. The servers are both located in the Savvis datacenter and the network/internet connection there is rarely, if ever, down - it's one of the best in the world. It's of course possible that the connection from a computer/server to the Savvis network is lost, but that's the fault of the other end of the connection, like because of their crappy network.

It could of course be an actual downtime. It's not because it's GoDaddy, that they have no downtime - to the contrary actually.

By the way, what is the interval it is being checked? Because if it is like every 8 or 10 minutes, it could just be one faulty check causing this.
ibay
On Autowebcheck's page, they say they check websites every 60 minutes from 3 different locations, when problem is detected they check every 2,4,8,16,32.... minutes.

Bondings wrote:

It's not because it's GoDaddy, that they have no downtime - to the contrary actually.

Do you mean they have downtime, are they comparable to yahoo or other top hosts in terms of downtime? please clarify this
Bondings
ibay wrote:
Do you mean they have downtime, are they comparable to yahoo or other top hosts in terms of downtime? please clarify this

Every host has downtime, including GoDaddy and Yahoo. I have no experience with both of them, but I definately wouldn't use them for hosting as there are certainly cheaper and better alternatives.
ibay
Bondings wrote:

Every host has downtime, including GoDaddy and Yahoo. I have no experience with both of them, but I definately wouldn't use them for hosting as there are certainly cheaper and better alternatives.

So please name some of the alternatives which are not resellers, finding such hosts is a big dilemma for first time hosters. thanks
Marston
I don't think that we can name hosts here (it's agin' the rules).

However, if you live in Canada I could reccomend you quite a good host via PM.
ibay
I don't live in Canada, but i'd still like bondings to name a few through PM or let others know it too.
Bondings
I don't that many hosting companies and their reputation either. However, the best thing to do is to check http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ (very popular webhosting forums) and check the reputation of the different (popular/less popular) hosts. Just don't pick the cheapest 1$ hosting, those are usually very bad and not even worth that dollar a month.

But then again, I'm not going to advertise any specific hosting companies here, so I think it's better if I -close- this thread now.