FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which do u prefer a Pendrive/a Floppy Disk/a CD-R/a DVD

pashmina
With the technology advancing at a fast pace, which drive do you prefer to use the most and which of this drive do you think is the most handy?
Every of this drive has its own advantages and disadvantages.

I prefer to use a pendrive of 4GB. its quite handly and its like using a DVD..

which do you prefer???
DecayClan
I am mostly using a usb flash disk drive, 2GB, which covers all my needs for transfering small amounts of data. For more data, i have an 300GB external HDD. For storing, i use DvDs...
HoboPelican
Yeah, I have to agree with the flash drive as being the most useful. I move permanent things to CD eventually, but a handful of 1 and 2 gig flashdrives work great for me.
otiscom
I would agree with the flash drive.
It can be used then on almost any PC.
TheGeek
Flash disk for me as well. I have a 512mb one that I got for free from a friend who got a 1GB stick and didn't need it anymore. Works great and does anything and everything I could ever want it to, it even holds Damn Small Linux and Qemu so that I can load linux from inside windows Very Happy
orcaz
Flash Disk is the easiest, small and compatible with all Windows XP computers... However, I would sometimes use a CDRW when I nid to store much larger data and when the other comp is not Windows XP.
diduknowthat
I like flashdrives, but only to temporily save or transfer documents or other small stuff. I usually store larger things in my 40gig portable harddrive (doesn't need power source to run).
TheGeek
orcaz wrote:
Flash Disk is the easiest, small and compatible with all Windows XP computers... However, I would sometimes use a CDRW when I nid to store much larger data and when the other comp is not Windows XP.

Almost all flash disks are formatted using some incarnation of the FAT file system, thus almost all operating systems can read them. My jump drive is formatted in FAT32 and can be read in both Windows and Linux just fine. I have yet to try a Mac yet, but I am pretty sure it works.
orcaz
But Prior to Windows XP, flash drives aren't Plug & Play, which means you need to have the driver installed on the computer to let it run...
TheGeek
But they are still "compatible" with them.
Caramelo
At this moment i like to use the pendrive because can store more ingormation in GB, and it uses an usb connection to transfer all the information like music, data, documents, anything, and i can use my pendrive in my car to listen to music and change the music inside of that pendrive any time and put another music just in 5minutes....
Kelvin
If we are talking about mobility, pendrive or MP3 player would be the best since it's easy to carry and has PNP features. Really cheap to own a pendrive these days with capacities by the GBs. Among all the storage devices, I think it's the most convenient as it does not need external power, cables or drives to run.

If larger capacity is needed, then an external HDD would suffice. But i usually use this to do heavy load backups.
rajhank
I wud go for a Flash Drive that too with 2 Gb of Memory, this is helpful otherwise if it is a larger file , I wud go for my 80 GB Apple IPOD.
psycosquirrel
Flash drive.
william
Floppy disks! They have a whopping 1.44 MB of storage. Laughing

No, my personal favorite are flash drives. I have a few of them ranging from 64 MB-4 GB. That is plenty of space. Unlike CD/DVDs and floppys, flash drives have fast transfer rates via USB. (Over 400 mbps). I could easily store a movie, up to 1000 songs, and a LOT more.
Maxus
USB pendrives, easy work on every pc
and very mobile, 1GB in my pocket Very Happy
xorcist
I prefer a USB Drive its easier to use and you can just transfer data off and on it.
fadirocks
USB Flash drive for sure easiest way to transfer smaller files
if I got something huge then my External HD Smile
For DVDs, I try to keep them as backup medium instead of transfer medium unless the DVD I'm giving away!
CDRs are things to pass around like school's audio recording or video recording for certain classes

Smile
Prabhu Raj
I prefer a 120 GP PATA (Laptop HDD) with a external USB casing.
littletomi714
What are those things called these days?
I heard them known as: flash drives, pen drives, thumb stick, USB, ...
well, i use 1 small 512 USB for my basic document transfers to other computers
i use 1 x 1 GB thumb drive for portable apps and other misc items
plus, i hav a 400 GB ext. hard drive for STORAGE
UnikeViruz
I usea a 512MB Sandisk. I like it alot better use than a floppy and CD's...I can move content quickly without havin to burn a CD....Not to mention my laptop doesnt have a floppy drive....Almost every PC has a USB port on it...Pen drives are just so universal...I think almost every geek out there has one
ocalhoun
Well, I suppose I have a bit of a novel solution for bringing my data with me: I use my frihost webspace. (That is for small files, which would be most of what I need) That way I can get it from most computers, and its impossible to forget to bring it somewhere or loose it somewhere. Another benefit is that I don't have to carry anything at all with me. For very large files, I do resort to CDRW's though.
corey
orcaz wrote:
But Prior to Windows XP, flash drives aren't Plug & Play, which means you need to have the driver installed on the computer to let it run...
A lot of drives include a drivers folder on them so that you can install the drivers wherever ou are, making them truely portable. My Lexar flash drive works on any computer that I've plugged it into. It fits into my pocket too.
corey
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, I suppose I have a bit of a novel solution for bringing my data with me: I use my frihost webspace. (That is for small files, which would be most of what I need) That way I can get it from most computers, and its impossible to forget to bring it somewhere or loose it somewhere. Another benefit is that I don't have to carry anything at all with me. For very large files, I do resort to CDRW's though.
I can't say that I didn't do the same sometimes. You really have to remember where you put stuff, though, if you're trying to get at the files from a protected network.
umeshtangnu
512 mb Flash drive for data transfer and an 160GB external hardisk for large volume of data .
for making backups i use dvd's
shwetanshu
i prefer to use pen drive 256 MB, then external HDD 40 GB and then DVD...
johnsonap
Doesn't anyone else find that USB pens are still quite slow, i have a 4Gb one and was trying to copy 3.5Gb of data onto it and it took well over half and hour (ok may not sound slow), but then copied the same data to a DVD and it was done in just over 10mins?
Pretty sure its a 2.0 usb port i am using, is this just me or do other find this?
Also....
Still require to use floppy disks for DOS booting, doesnt matter what i try i still cant get any machines i have used to boot from a usb device, any advice would be more than welcome....honest?
desertwind
I'll use a couple of 1 Gb and 2GB pendrives for my usual work. As a backup I've a 120 GB external hard disk. And if something is very important and less accessed I'll move it onto DVDs.
alkady
I prefer pendrives since it's faster, smaller and more reliable, CD and DVD's are cheaper but they also have a shorter lifespan compare to pendrives.