FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ram card or graphics card

Sparda
Ok, I currently have a new ram installed. This is my update message. I still need a new graphics card for World of Warcraft. I was hoping of getting a new graphics card from best buy or Circuit city. What specific graphics card should I get according to my computer specs and World of Warcraft. My goal in this is to stop the lag in World of Warcraft gameplay. I get alot of lag when I have high pixel in the game view. A graphics card can help this. So thats what I want. My Price budget is $150(US).

My current computer specs: ( it is a Intel Celeron D Processor 340, It is a Desktop.)

CPU 2.93GHZ processor
0.98GB of RAM
Intel Extreme Graphics2 3D
Model T4010

Help me out with this? Thanks in Reply.
DecayClan
FIrst of all, it can't be a 75HZ of graphics... LoL
so...? I would suggest that you get a 512Ram, DDR1
and a graphics card like Ge Force 6600GT 256MB . Both of them will cost you more than 150Euro, but they are worth it for your system. I don't know your graphics card, but if you have to choose, then better get the graphics card(if you play games) if you don't, and run many and demanding aplications, then get the 512Ram.

P.S. YOur graphics card confused me, but by seeing that you have only 496MB of ram when you should have 512, i suppose that these 16MB go to th graphics card(on-board graphics), so i STRONGLY recommend that you buy the graphics card, and deactivate the on-board one.
Sparda
This really didn't help me. I need to know a price of each card and a place to buy it. I have no clue which store to buy something like this. I really need to Ram card more than the graphics card. So I'd rather buy the ram card.
diduknowthat
Ok woah lets get this straightened out a bit.

Sparda wrote:
I have about $150. Can I buy both a graphics card and a ram card? If not a ram card is good enough.

Yes you probably can buy both, however, the graphics card will be a very budget card.

Sparda wrote:

I'm not even sure if it called a ram card. What is it called and where can buy it. I really want one.

It's just called RAM

Sparda wrote:

My current computer specs: ( it is a Intel D Desktop.)

Intel D? I would say you're talking about Celeron D, but there isn't such thing as a 1.9ghz Celeron D processor. Can you double check the CPU again? I'm pretty sure it's an old Pentium 4.

Sparda wrote:

1.90GHZ processor
496MB of RAM
75HZ of Graphics

As you have 496MB of ram, you have integrated graphics. Find out if you have PCI or AGP slot, as you definetly do not have PCI-Express.

Sparda wrote:

Could someone possibily tell me what I should buy and where to buy it. Help me out with this? Thanks in Reply.

Look on www.newegg.com, it's MUCH better than any stores you go to, and probably MUCH cheaper.
Sparda
I have edited my first post. I hope that clears up alot. I can't find any ram cards on that newegg site, could someone give me a direct link to a good Ram that can fit my budget.
diduknowthat
Sparda wrote:
I have edited my first post. I hope that clears up alot. I can't find any ram cards on that newegg site, could someone give me a direct link to a good Ram that can fit my budget.

you can't find it because they're not called ram cards Very Happy It's just RAM.

anyways, here's a 512mb stick of DDR400 ram. I think your computer uses DDR333, but they're almost identicle in price anyways.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141164
Sparda
Thank you. I just need to know one more thing. I just need a tutorial on how to install the ram into my computer. I have an idea on how to, but I would like a tutorial just in case. I wouldn't want to mess up the computer.
diduknowthat
Sparda wrote:
Thank you. I just need to know one more thing. I just need a tutorial on how to install the ram into my computer. I have an idea on how to, but I would like a tutorial just in case. I wouldn't want to mess up the computer.

it's really really really easy. First you locate your ram slots, usually to the right of the CPU (which has a big heatsink on it). Pull the two tabs on either side of the slot outwards, line up the ram (make sure the notch in the middle is lined up), and pop it in with pressure equally distributed on both sides of the ram stick. If you did this correctly, the two little tabs should pop back in place.

Here's a guide if you need more info, or a few pics.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

good luck Very Happy
Sparda
Thanks for the help everyone. I will soon be adding a new RAM to my computer.
TheGeek
The next trick is getting you the graphics card if you want to do that as well.

Your best bet to figure out what graphics card you are capable of getting is to open up the side of your PC and look at the motherboard (big main board in the computer) there will be little white horizontal slots (some may have things in them). These are called PCI slots. They are used for things like network cards and sound cards along with other misc. cards. The one you are looking for will be above all of the white slots. It will be the top most slot and will most likely be a different color. If the slot is brown and set in a slightly different place then the white slots you need to make sure you get a card that says that it uses what is called an AGP slot. If the slot is a different color than the other slots, but not brown and is also in a slightly different alignment then the other slots you are looking most likely at a PCI-Express slot. Make sure if you see this that you get a graphics card that supports a PCI-Express slot interface.

If you get the RAM that was listed below by diduknowthat, then that should leave you with roughly $100 to spend on a graphics card. Below I have listed a few graphics cards in different price ranges for each of the different interfaces you may have. The top one in each category will be the best one in the list and will decrease in performance from there.

----------AGP Slot interface cards (brown slot)----------
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145139
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130014

----------PCI-Express interface cards----------
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122007
** http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127192

My personal recommendations have stars next to them.
Sparda
Well, I decided to buy my RAM from Circuit City and I think I bought the wrong kind. It doesn't seem to fit. I didn't want to buy from the internet. Here is the information of the RAM I purchased:

Kingston Technology Value RAM
512MB
PC3200
400MHz
DDR
2.6V

Pics of the ram can be found here: http://www.spardaslayer.frih.net/RAMPICS.htm

What is wrong? I went to the store and there were only RAM's from this Kingston Technology and there was this one and another with small differences.

Them other one had PC2700
And 300 and something MHz.
william
Sparda wrote:
Well, I decided to buy my RAM from Circuit City and I think I bought the wrong kind. It doesn't seem to fit. I didn't want to buy from the internet. Here is the information of the RAM I purchased:

Kingston Technology Value RAM
512MB
PC3200
400MHz
DDR
2.6V

Pics of the ram can be found here: http://www.spardaslayer.frih.net/RAMPICS.htm

What is wrong? I went to the store and there were only RAM's from this Kingston Technology and there was this one and another with small differences.

Them other one had PC2700
And 300 and something MHz.

I think I might know what the problem is. You have a socket 478 motherboard, and as I know of, some of them use RDRAM. What you purchased is DDR. Could you give me the exact model of your computer? I'll then look up all the internal components and come back with some compatible hardware.
Sparda
Sure thing. Emachines. Intel Desktop. Model T4010.
william
Sparda wrote:
Sure thing. Emachines. Intel Desktop. Model T4010.

Well, I just looked up the components. You computer uses DDR SDRAM. Your original RAM module was also a PC 3200 at 400 MHz. So, I'm not sure why it's not working.

According to Kingston's website, the KVR400X64C3A/512 is the 512 MB module that works with your computer. You can see that for yourself here.

The RAM module you purchased should fit. You might not be properly installing it. If you don't mind, could you perhaps take an image of RAM right next to the slot so we can see how you're installing.

If it still doesn't fit, then something is definitely wrong.
jwellsy
See the notch in the middle of the metallic connectors on the edge of the RAM?

That notch is not in the exact middle.
It is off-set.
So, it will only fit in the slot one way.
If it doesn't fit, flip the stick of RAM around
so the notch aligns with the tab in the socket.

They are intentionally tight.
Sparda
Thats a relief. I didn't know if CircuitCity would let me return it for my money back. Whenever I get my RAM installed I will reply this post and let everyone know how it works out.

PS: I was trying to install it with the computer set on its side. Maybe if I set it down I could get it in better.

I don't think I could get a picture of the inside of my computer because I do not have a camera. I used my webcam to take the pic of my ram.
diduknowthat
Sparda wrote:
Thats a relief. I didn't know if CircuitCity would let me return it for my money back. Whenever I get my RAM installed I will reply this post and let everyone know how it works out.

PS: I was trying to install it with the computer set on its side. Maybe if I set it down I could get it in better.

I don't think I could get a picture of the inside of my computer because I do not have a camera. I used my webcam to take the pic of my ram.

ahaha I told you so, the notch isn't in the middle you have to line it up Very Happy. You don't relaly need to take a picture of it, just make sure it's all lined up, then use both hands and push the stick into the slot (it might take quiet alot of pressure).
psycosquirrel
As for a video card, if you only want to play WoW, a 6 series card from NVIDIA will work fine. If you can afford it though, I would reccommend going with a 7 series card so that you have more options for the future.
william
psycosquirrel wrote:
As for a video card, if you only want to play WoW, a 6 series card from NVIDIA will work fine. If you can afford it though, I would reccommend going with a 7 series card so that you have more options for the future.

Unfortunetely, the eMachines T4010 only has PCI slots, so the selection of cards isn't that expansive.
psycosquirrel
There are 6 series options for PCI, there used to be a 6200 for $30. A 6200 will work great for WoW.
Sparda
This Thread has been updated. Please read top Post please. Thank you.