FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rubik's Cube

Afaceinthematrix
Does anyone else out there like solving the Rubik's Cube? If so, what is your record? Mine is about 3 minutes.
darth_revan
Rubik has puzzles too. One of its puzzles:
1 2 3 4
8 7 6 5

it's like that. you have 3 moves: first changes the starting to
2 3 4 1
7 6 5 8
second rotates the four squares inside:
1 7 2 4
8 6 3 5
Third changes the first line of squares into another:
8 7 6 5
1 2 3 4

You have a starting, for example:
3 4 5 7
2 1 6 8

and try to solve using these three moves, it's not as easy as rubik cube since some puzzles cannot be solved.
QrafTee
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Does anyone else out there like solving the Rubik's Cube? If so, what is your record? Mine is about 3 minutes.

Y'know what? I heard the PS3's amazing cell processor can solve a rubik's cube so fast that its colors explodes into the surrounding walls.
linkman2004
QrafTee wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Y'know what? I heard the PS3's amazing cell processor can solve a rubik's cube so fast that its colors explodes into the surrounding walls.

I also heard that it can make babies cry. Razz

But, onto the Rubiks cube, I've never managed to solve it. And even if I could, it would take me upwards of several hours. Bah!
Alias
I don't like solving Rubik's Cube because it's just a waste of time. Though I try it and my record is about 4-5 minutes. Cool
BooTes
My record was about 2 minutes. The first 2/3 of the cube can be solved very quickly, after that it gets a bit more difficult and you have to memorize a few patterns to get it done. Smile
Nameless
Alias wrote:
I don't like solving Rubik's Cube because it's just a waste of time.

As opposed to video games, or board games, or card games, which aren't a waste of time at all. Razz

Sidenote: Saying the time you solved it in isn't really a great measure seeing as how the cube may have been close to, or much further away from, being completed again.
guissmo
I love logic, Math, Sudoku, Who's Lying types of games but I never got around in solving the Rubik's cube. I once solved one face but I usually get help from a friend. I think I only solved one face once without helped.
darth_revan
QrafTee wrote:

lol if you code a optimized program, you'll be able to find both the shortest way to solve it (using BFS, takes much time), and a way to solve(using DFS, takes less time to find, but longer way). So, if you are good enough, you can make a program that solves "rubik's cube so fast that its colors explodes into the surrounding walls"
Afaceinthematrix
Nameless wrote:

Sidenote: Saying the time you solved it in isn't really a great measure seeing as how the cube may have been close to, or much further away from, being completed again.

I can solve any Rubik's cube in any position in about 3-4 minutes max.
Agent ME
darth_revan wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

lol if you code a optimized program, you'll be able to find both the shortest way to solve it (using BFS, takes much time), and a way to solve(using DFS, takes less time to find, but longer way). So, if you are good enough, you can make a program that solves "rubik's cube so fast that its colors explodes into the surrounding walls"

He was talking about the PS3's... froodling (in place of worse words) weird comercials. They have some really odd commercials airing. Same with the PSP... wonder what planet the advertising department lives on?

About Rubik's Cubes - I never could get them done right. One side - that's it.
jakester
LOL! Rubiks cubes are really fun, but my record is 12 weeks lol
william
Ah, the Rubik's cube, one of the most fun activities on a rainy day. I really enjoyed the Rubik's cube, but I lost it about a year ago. Crying or Very sad I'll be getting a new one soon because I really like the challenge it brings. I can not recall what my record was, partially because I never kept track. I recall trying the Rubik's Revenge at the store, but I had to go after about 2 minutes. I shall try the Professor's Cube sometime soon. Wink
QrafTee
Agent ME wrote:
darth_revan wrote:
QrafTee wrote:

He was talking about the PS3's... froodling (in place of worse words) weird comercials. They have some really odd commercials airing. Same with the PSP... wonder what planet the advertising department lives on?

About Rubik's Cubes - I never could get them done right. One side - that's it.

I think after the successs of the PS2 commercials about the PS9. They thought futuristic commercials were good... But I guess they've lapped us because their newest commercials are so futuristics, that you'd have to be living on another planet to understand.

And using code, Pascal to be more specific, I made a program which helped solve Sudoku, but it doesn't solve it for you.
DeathPact
try www.nerdparadise.com there are several patterns to solve the rubik's cube from scrap to finish in under 2 minutes without any serious thinking. I've also seen another site with a technique to solve it in 10-20 seconds but that's a bit over my head
Illionaire
I have never beat the Rubik's Cube! It has eluded me for my entire life. I do have some skill with the cube - I can get a side at any time. I also have a vague mental image of where each piece needs to end up, I just can't execute.
poland21489
Me too illionaire. I've gotten as far as 3 simultaneous sides. Then again, I've never read any of the books on it or had anyone explain any strategies or anything of the sort, so perhaps I'm capable, who knows. Anyway, that darn cube is sitting above my bed, taunting me... maybe I'll go conquer it right now....
Alias
Nameless wrote:
Alias wrote:
I don't like solving Rubik's Cube because it's just a waste of time.

As opposed to video games, or board games, or card games, which aren't a waste of time at all. Razz

You're right men Wink
Handermier
Rubix Cube > Me Crying or Very sad

-Handermier
TerrorBite
The fastest time I've ever solved the cube is 2 minutes, 10 seconds. My average is about 4 to 5 minutes.

When I first got a cube, I despaired ever being able to solve it.
First five minutes: Smile
Fifteen minutes in: Confused
Half an hour in: Mad
An hour in: Evil or Very Mad
However I found a small book called "The Simple Solution to Rubik's Cube". The solution contained in its pages is indeed relatively simple, and doesn't rely on any particular colouring of the cube. It also makes allowances for errors.

For those who are struggling, here are a few tips:
Arrow The squares in the centre of each face (let's call the little squares "cubelets") don't move around. They identify the color of the face when the cube is solved.
Arrow When solving, choose a face to be the top face and STICK WITH IT. I always use white as the top.
Arrow Do it in layers - start from the top and work down. I treat the process as five steps: top edge cubelets first, then top corners, then middle edges, then bottom corners, and finally bottom edges.
Arrow In order to progress, you have to temporarily disturb some of your earlier hard work. You need to find sequences of moves that move a cubelet to where you want it, while putting all the other cubelets back where they were.

I won't give any hints more specific than that, except for one.
This is the final step in my "Simple Solution" book:

Step 5G Tell everyone within shouting distance and reward yourself with a trip to the refrigerator. Very Happy
Wish4Me
Whoever can solve a rubiks cube without ever seeing the tricks on them, like when they first came out, I give props to this guy.
7Pound7
the rubiks cube is really fun and an ancient game nowadays. i remember those hippies on television solving it as fast as they could. The cube is also now in number format, colors and numbers. That makes it a little more difficult. I was never able to solve it, but with the help of a guide. You need to learn some moves and that's it.
Senshida
I had a rubik's cube once. I would pick it up, play with it a bit, get bored, and put it down. A year later, I figured out I had only a few moves to finish it. And I did. I tried again later, got bored, cheated by re arranging the stickers. Then the stickers fell off, and I threw it away. >.>
endless
i have too ^^

my record is 55.98 secs

i also have a 4x4x4 revenge cube, record is 1 hr
Afaceinthematrix
endless wrote:
i have too ^^

my record is 55.98 secs

Yeah I've gotten to the point now to where I can do it in under a minute each time... 4x4x4's are a little harder, though... I usually try to create the centers and then solve it like a 3x3x3.
endless
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
endless wrote:
i have too ^^

my record is 55.98 secs

Yeah I've gotten to the point now to where I can do it in under a minute each time... 4x4x4's are a little harder, though... I usually try to create the centers and then solve it like a 3x3x3.

just me, but the 4x4x4 is eaxsier.
but you dont have fixed ceters, so that kinda sucks.

and if you have a original 4x4x4 cube, the color pattern is
up - yello
front- red
right - green
left - blue
back - orange
down - white

and the method is use is solving the center, then the edges, then solve it like a normal cube, and then some special move to fix some 4x4x4 cubelets. (i.e a flipped edge)
soulery
I never solved a rubiks cube...
erlendhg
First, I couldn't solve more than 1/3 or if I was lucky 2/3 of the cube.
Then, one day, I decided to learn how to solve it!

I watched a short tutorial on YouTube, practiced for maybe half an hour, and then, suddenly, all the moves were in my fingers.

Still, I use some time to crack the cube, but I can always solve it (not necessarily the fastest possible way though...)

It is fun!
blazinggale
Funny, I just learned how to do it last week. I take a while to solve it. Five to ten minutes I think. I learned by reading the steps in lar5.com. That guide was for speed cubing which is different from the usual layer by layer method (tho my friends still do it faster than me even it their using the layer by layer method =P). Solving the rubik's cube has been really popular these days in our country. Toy stores are selling them like pancakes. Our university's college of science even hosted Rubik's Cube competitions last month.
endless
i now get times liek 45 secs, but my rubisk cube really needs replacement, so ill go buy a new one today Smile