FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What ASP have that other languages don't have???

D'Artagnan
What ASP have that other languages don't have???

i never expended many time reading about ASP, so sorry if its look like "GPLcism"

there it is... i never understand exactly where comes the advantages in use ASP, the only thing i can thing is that its limitated to a small range of servers that suports it...

Where do de VBscript and Javascript comes on that????
deepak
ASP is more or less like VBscript but it execute at server side instead of client side ... download Baby ASP server or install IIS server to play with it.
kv
ASP is very easy to use -- similar to any tool/language from microsoft. If you are familiar with VB, you can start coding in ASP very quickly.

Also, it comes with a neat UI where you can drag/drop/design the UI which appears on client's browser. Pretty neat. Isn't it?
eznet
ASP is strong and has excellent support but I am not sure if it really does offer any more than some of the alternatives. If you are learning something new and wondering if ASP is THE thing that you would be best served to learn... well, I have personally be convinced. I know that for those who use it, that the statement borders offensive but it just seems to me that there is a lot to be offered in other languages - languages with more support and innovation currently. Ruby on Rails really for one seems to be worth a look (or three). Going more traditional, I like Java - but of course, this is highly opinion.
Antoine_935
The most powerful thing with this language, is not ASP himself, but the .NET library
Sneemaster
Well you have ASP and ASP.Net. Basic ASP is ok for basic functions, but the .Net version gives you full Visual Basic.Net and C# programming within your pages. I started using VB so having ASP.Net use it makes things so much easier. You can run whole VB or C# programs within ASP.Net and tap into databases with full functionality (plus using more interesting functions). The old ASP had to use VBscript instead of VB, so Firefox wouldn't work with it, only IE (firefox doesn't work with VBscript). But VB does work with Firefox I believe.
I'm just barely starting to work with ASP.Net, and there aren't tons of servers that have it setup that don't charge a bundle to use, but hopefully someone here on the Forums will know of any sites that use ASP.Net that you could setup a whole website with.
jabapyth
kv wrote:
ASP is very easy to use -- similar to any tool/language from microsoft. If you are familiar with VB, you can start coding in ASP very quickly.?

sorry but i have to laugh. Laughing Laughing Laughing
a product from microsoft, easy?? (vb)

compare it to anything else. its clearly just another microsoft clone.
kv
jabapyth wrote:

sorry but i have to laugh. Laughing Laughing Laughing
a product from microsoft, easy?? (vb)

I don't mind you laughing, but I just appreciate anything that is good, even if it is from my enemy. I don't like microsoft. That doesn't mean I just hate and condemn everything from microsoft, whether good or bad.

In my experience, microsoft products are pretty easy to use -- again considering just the ease of use only, not the cost, dominance, hate bill gates club, etc etc.

I have no issues if you don't agree -- I respect others views.