FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Push ups/sit ups a day

DeathlyHallows
Hey!
I'm 13 years old and I like doing 100 push ups and 100 sit ups a day. I was asking, will I build more muscle if I break it down into 25 (do 25 pushups and situps, then 25 later, 25, then 25) or If I do 50 at a time, which makes 2 intervals?

Please reply fast
xkobram
More muscles with more weight.
More stamina with more cycles - less weight...
qbawler311
If you want to build muscle you need to get to a gym or buy some weights. Push ups and sit ups will only burn calories and increase muscle stamina. If you want to gain muscle you need to lift weights that you can only do a max of 6-8 reps per set.

I like to do some light cardio activity before I lift to get the heart rate up.

A good supplement mix includes protien, creatine, glutamine, multivitamin, and amino acid stack.
benjmd
Can you do one-handed pushups yet? If you can do those you'll be pushing enough weight to really add some muscle. If you don't have a gym, another idea is to get someone to help add to the weight you are pushing by putting pressure on your shoulders (don't let them sit on the small of your back, only on your shoulders over where you are actually pushing!!).
benjmd
Ooops, forgot to mention. If you are looking to work your muscles more than just as a cardio exercise (i.e. for toning or building), don't forget to give them 48 hours rest between exercising times.
indeedwrestling
George Foreman used to talk about when he won his first world title he had never lifted a weight in his life. It was all push-ups. A wise tale for those who think that being a bodybuilder means being fit.
qbawler311
If you are serious about gaining muscle mass, talk to a trainer at a gym, push up's is not the answer.
benjmd
Boxers work so hard that they get muscle build and cardio exercise both from their sport. Eventually if you do toning exercises to such extreme fatigue points you are going to build muscle. But weight-lifting is a more EFFICIENT way to build up muscle. And really you should do a little of everything to be healthy. One thing weight lifting is good for is strengthening joints. Also, the stress of normal weight lifting on the bones actually encourages bone development and strengthens bones. But of course you have to do it safely and correctly.
tiel_99
The only way to build muscle mass is to do at least 4 sets of low repetitions of heavy weights, and pushup's is unfortunately not the answer. But it will give you nice definition.

The other factor which contributes to muscle mass is nutrition and genetics. Nutrition you can control, but genetics you have to live with.