FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Netscape

Fenroy
There may or may not be a post about this already, but I'd just like to take the time to say that the Netscape browser is any web designer's best friend. With Netscape, you don't have to have both IE and FF open at the same time, since you can freely switch between the two rendering engines in Netscape. I just got around to downloading it on this computer, and I find it to be a big help with my web programming. I'm building a site that has some issues in IE to say the least, but with Netscape, I don't have to worry about keeping it open. Plus, there's tabbed browsing like in FF, so you don't have to open a zillion IE windows. I personally love these features, but I would never use Netscape for anything other than web design. I still stick with good ol' Firefox for my everyday browsing. Very Happy
DaComboMan
Yep, i sure hope you did a search before posting.

I've been tinkering with Seamonkey lately and you'd be suprised how performing this gem can be!

Netscape can be cool with this choice of IE and FF engine but on Free Download Manager, someone posted a message stating that AVG spotted a trojan. Is this true? That remains to be verified. It would surprise me yes and no.
Fenroy
If by AVG you mean Avira AntiVir, then, no, it doesn't spot a trojan. I have that as my antivirus software, and it's stopped stuff from running in the past, but it never stopped Netscape.

I haven't looked into Seamonkey. What's it do that makes it so special?
DaComboMan
The post is still open! Yay!

Seamonkey has a quick launch feature like Netscape and uses less resources than Firefox. With a bit of tweaking, you can get it to behave just like Firefox too. It's better than Netscape since it can use many extensions and themes. Adblock or Adblock Plus is a nice, must have extension that Netscape does not have (and probably won't for a while).

Those are some of the things that i have already discovered and others i'm still discovering like configuring the url icons for SM. Didn't think it was possible.
Diablosblizz
There is a IE Feature on Firefox that lets you switch from FF to IE and vise versa. Its a plugin try it.
DaComboMan
Fenroy wrote:
If by AVG you mean Avira AntiVir, then, no, it doesn't spot a trojan. I have that as my antivirus software, and it's stopped stuff from running in the past, but it never stopped Netscape.

Sorry, i forgot to mention i did a scan with AVG by Grisoft and there were no trojans.
Dragonfly-online
I use the above mentioned IE plug-in for Firefox 2.0. By the way, Firefox works just fine for me as a developer. And I noticed, also, that Netscape seems to suck resources.
littlegiant
Netscape? With all due respect, this browser has turned into a buggy piece of crap as of version 8 and upward. And considering its continually declining share of the browser market, it will most likely go the way of the dodo in another year or two. It's already sunk below the 0.5 % mark on the W3C browser statistics page and if it continues as such it will get delisted altogether in 2007 as 0.5% is the minimum to get listed. I think it's important to test your pages in the actual target browser, e.g., if you want to see how your page looks in Firefox, use Firefox to view the page.
eday2010
Personally, I love Netscape. I've been using it since Netscape Navigator in the mid 90's. Netscape 6 was a horrible buggy thing, but 7 was good and 9 is even better. If it loaded as fast as IE, I would use it more often. And as Fenroy said, I can use it to test my pages in Firefox instead of having to download Firefox, which I am not a fan of.
Ranfaroth
Fenroy wrote:
It uses the latest gecko engine, has many features and configuration options, and can be installed with a mail client (the most modern one), an IRC client and a WYSIWYG editor.

SeaMonkey 1.1 has been released, and it's currently the most uptodate browser.
{name here}
I just use keyboard shortcuts to activate every browser when I need to.
a_dubDesign
Dragonfly-online wrote:
I use the above mentioned IE plug-in for Firefox 2.0. By the way, Firefox works just fine for me as a developer.

I do all my css work in Firefox, the web developers toolbar combined with the above mentioned IE tab is absolutely great. If you've not used the webdev toolbar, its a must have. I couldn't imagine doing my work now without it. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/60/